Friction/Kinematics Question. Conveyor Belt.

In summary: So, the suitcase would be moving away from the belt at point of attachment and the force of static friction would point in the negative direction.
swooshfactory

Homework Statement

A baggage handler drops your 8kg suitcase onto a conveyor belt running at 1.8 m/s. The materials are such that the static coefficient of friction is .4 and the kinetic coefficient of friction is .6. How far is your suitcase dragged before it is riding smoothly on the belt?

Homework Equations

F=ma
v_f= v_i+a(delta t)
f_s: force of static friction
f_k: force of kinetic friction

The Attempt at a Solution

I've come up with two free body diagrams. The y direction seems to be negligible since mg=n and they cancel out. In the x direction, I have F_belt pointing in the positive x-direction. I am confused about how to place f_k. I think that it too points in the positive x-direction, and here's my logic: it is not moving faster than the conveyor belt, so its motion would appear opposite the conveyor belt until it too moves at 1.8 m/s.

Also, there would be a free body diagram for when the suitcase moves at the velocity of the conveyor belt. This diagram would have F_belt pointing in the positive x-direction and f_s pointing in the negative x-direction.

F_x=8kg(0m/s^2)=F_belt - f_s
F_belt=f_s
F_belt= .4 (8kg) (9.8m/s^2)
F_belt=31.4 N

then,

F_x= 8kg*a = F_belt + f_k
= 31.4N + .6(8kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 78.44 N
78.44/8= 9.8 m/s^2 = acceleration of suitcase

kinematics:
1.8m/s=0m/s + 9.8 m/s^2(delta t)
delta t= .18 seconds

x_f=x_i+v_i*t+.5at^2
x_f=0+0+.5(9.8m/s^2)(.18^2)
x_f=.16m

This isn't the answer, according to my book*.
*I changed the numbers, but this is the method I used with the numbers I had and I didn't get the right answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force of friction always opposes the direction of the movement.
So you will have to change you signs where you're calculating acceleration of suitcase.

I don't understand...was my depiction correct? I know that friction opposes motion, but relative to the point on the belt where the suitcase is dropped, I would think the suitcase is moving away from that point (negative direction if conveyor belt is moving in the positive direction), making the direction of the force of kinetic friction point in the positive direction.

If this is true, I would have to have positive acceleration, I think.

There are far too many forces noted here. The force of the belt acting on the suitcase is one and the same as the force of friction between the belt and suitcase acting on the suitcase. It is not an additional force. The kinetic friction force accelerates the suitcase forward (FBD #1) until it reaches the same speed as the belt (FBD #2), at which point, there is no longer any net force acting on it. So the force of static friction at this point is what?
Rake-MC: to clarify, the friction force always opposes the direction of relative motion (or pending motion) between the 2 objects in contact.

Related to Friction/Kinematics Question. Conveyor Belt.

1. What is friction and how does it affect a conveyor belt?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of two surfaces in contact with each other. In the case of a conveyor belt, friction occurs between the belt and the pulleys, as well as between the belt and the object being transported. This friction can cause the belt to slip or wear down over time, resulting in decreased efficiency and potential damage.

2. How do you calculate the maximum weight a conveyor belt can handle?

The maximum weight a conveyor belt can handle depends on several factors, including the friction between the belt and the pulleys, the material of the belt, the speed of the belt, and the angle of incline. To calculate the maximum weight, you can use the formula: Maximum weight = Coefficient of friction x Belt width x Speed x Belt thickness x Weight of material per unit length.

3. How can you reduce friction on a conveyor belt?

There are several ways to reduce friction on a conveyor belt, including using lubricants, adjusting the tension of the belt, using anti-static materials, and choosing a belt material with low friction properties. Additionally, regular maintenance and cleaning of the belt and pulleys can help reduce friction and prolong the lifespan of the belt.

4. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that keeps two surfaces from moving when they are in contact with each other, whereas kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion between two surfaces that are already in motion. In the context of a conveyor belt, static friction is the force that keeps the belt from slipping off the pulleys, while kinetic friction is the force that must be overcome to move the belt.

5. How does the speed of a conveyor belt affect its performance?

The speed of a conveyor belt can greatly affect its performance. A higher speed can increase the throughput of materials, but it can also increase the wear and tear on the belt and pulleys due to increased friction. On the other hand, a slower speed may decrease the wear and tear, but it can also decrease the efficiency of the conveyor belt. It is important to find a balance between speed and performance based on the specific needs of the conveyor system.