Friction problem involving a pulley

In summary, the problem is that the coefficient of kinetic friction between blocks B and C is not the same. This means that block C's acceleration in ground frame is greater than the acceleration of block B.
issacnewton

Homework Statement

I am posting the snapshot of the problem

Homework Equations

Moment of Inertia equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, the pulley has the moment of inertia ##I = 1.5MR^2##. This is strange, since the coefficient of ##MR^2## is less than or equal to 1. So, this means that ##M## is not the mass of the pulley or ##R## is not the radius of the pulley. Do you think my suspicion is correct ?
problem.png

Attachments

• problem.png
    problem.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,193
Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
M is not the mass of the pulley
Correct. M is given as the mass of the suspended mass at A. This is being used as the unit of mass throughout.

Right. So ##R## must be the radius of the pulley. Now let ##T_2## be the tension in the vertical part of the string and ##T_1## be the tension in the horizontal part of the string. Then we can write the following equations if ##a## is the magnitude of the downward acceleration of block A.
$$ \tau_{net} = I\alpha = 1.5MR^2 (a/R)$$
$$ \tau_{net} = (T_1 - T_2) R$$
$$ Mg - T_2 = Ma$$
$$ T_1 = 5Ma$$
so solving, we get ##T_2 = M(g-a)##. Now let ##f## be the kinetic friction between blocks B and C. Also, let ##a_2## be the acceleration of block C in ground frame. So we can write the equations
$$ f = 3M a_2$$
$$ T_1 - f= 2M a $$
And this leads us to conclude that
$$5Ma - 3M a_2 = 2M a$$
$$\to a_2 = a$$
But this does not seems right. I think the acceleration of block B and C are not the same. And I am getting it the same. Whats happening here ?

IssacNewton said:
$$ T_1 = 5Ma$$?
No.

There is no friction between block B and the ground. And friction between blocks B and C can be considered the internal forces. So I considered the blocks B and C as a system and then applied the Newton's second law to them. Is that a problem ?

IssacNewton said:
There is no friction between block B and the ground. And friction between blocks B and C can be considered the internal forces. So I considered the blocks B and C as a system and then applied the Newton's second law to them. Is that a problem ?
Yes, because you are told the two blocks move relative to each other, so do not have the same acceleration. Your equation would be ok if the acceleration in it referred to their common mass centre.

But can't we take both blocks B and C as a system ?. So there is just one external force in the horizontal direction on this system, which is ##T_1##.

IssacNewton said:
But can't we take both blocks B and C as a system ?. So there is just one external force in the horizontal direction on this system, which is ##T_1##.
Yes, but as I wrote that would mean the acceleration in question is that of the common mass centre, not of either of the individual blocks.

Oh, ok I got what you are saying. So let me set up separate equations for blocks B and C. For block B, I would have
$$ T_1 - f = 2Ma $$
and equation for block C would be
$$ f = 3M a_2$$
and we also get the third equation which is from the torque equation.
$$T_1 - T_2 = 1.5 Ma$$
so with the help of above equations, we can now say that
$$ T_1 = 2Ma + 3Ma_2$$
$$ T_2 = Mg - Ma$$
and after plugging this in the torque equation, we get
$$(2Ma + 3Ma_2) - (Mg-Ma) = 1.5Ma$$
This simplifies to
$$a_2 = \frac{g}{3} - \frac{a}{2}$$
Now, if ##\mu_k## is the cofficient of kinetic friction between blocks B and C, then we have ##f = \mu_k (3Mg)##. So we have the equation
$$f = \mu_k (3Mg) = 3M a_2$$
after plugging for ##a_2## , we get
$$\mu_k = \frac{1}{3} - \frac{a}{2g} $$
And, we are given in the problem that ##a = 2\;m/s^2##, so after plugging for that, we get ##\mu_k = 0.23##. Does this sound right ? I think something went wrong since we get that ##a_2 = 2.27\; m/s^2##. This means that block C's acceleration in ground frame is greater than the acceleration of block B. This can not happen since block C is sliding to the left relative to the block B.

IssacNewton said:
the third equation which is from the torque equation.
Check the signs on that one.

Likes issacnewton
Ah, yes, so we have
$$ T_1 -T_2 = -1.5 Ma$$
Then the equation for ##a_2## becomes
$$ a_2 = \frac{g}{3} - \frac{3a}{2} $$
This will give us ##a_2 = 0.27 \; m/s^2##, which now make sense. So coefficient of kinetic friction would now become
$$ \mu_k = \frac{1}{3} - \frac{3a}{2g} $$
So, with ##a= 2\; m/s^2##, we get ##\mu_k = 0.027##, which matches with the final answer given.
Thanks haruspex. These torques always cause me confusion about the signs.

1. What is friction and how does it affect a pulley?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. In a pulley system, friction can occur between the rope and the pulley, or between the pulley and its axle. This friction can reduce the efficiency of the system and cause a decrease in the amount of work that can be done.

2. How can friction be reduced in a pulley system?

One way to reduce friction in a pulley system is to use a lubricant, such as oil or grease, on the contact points between the rope and pulley or pulley and axle. Additionally, using smoother and more polished surfaces for the pulley and rope can also reduce friction.

3. Is friction always a problem in a pulley system?

No, friction can actually be beneficial in certain cases. For example, in a car's engine, friction between the pistons and cylinders is necessary for the engine to function properly. In a pulley system, some friction can help to keep the rope in place and prevent slipping.

4. How does the angle of the rope affect the amount of friction in a pulley system?

The angle of the rope can significantly impact the amount of friction in a pulley system. As the angle between the rope and pulley increases, the friction also increases. This is because the force of the rope pulling against the pulley is no longer perpendicular, and thus creates more friction.

5. Can the weight of the object being lifted affect the friction in a pulley system?

Yes, the weight of the object being lifted can affect the friction in a pulley system. The greater the weight, the more tension on the rope, which can cause more friction between the rope and pulley. This can also cause the rope to stretch and increase the contact area between the rope and pulley, resulting in more friction.