Friction question (intro level)

• Thread starter Fallinleave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, a banked circular highway curve with a radius of 213 m is designed for traffic moving at 55 km/h. On a rainy day, cars are moving at 49 km/h. To negotiate the turn without sliding off the road, the minimum coefficient of friction between tires and road must be determined. A possible next step is to create a free body diagram with a frictional force involved, parallel to the surface of the road. Algebra may be required to continue the problem.
Fallinleave
A banked circular highway curve is designed for traffic moving at 55 km/h. The radius of the curve is 213 m. Traffic is moving along the highway at 49 km/h on a rainy day. What is the minimum coefficient of friction between tires and road that will allow cars to negotiate the turn without sliding off the road?

I found the angle to be 6.38 degree. Is it right? How do I go from here?
Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Fallinleave said:
I found the angle to be 6.38 degree. Is it right?
That's pretty close to what I came up with, differing by only the 3rd significant digit. :cool:
How do I go from here?
Thanks,
A free body diagram (FBD) would be a good start. Your FBD should look pretty similar to the FBD in the first part, except there is now a frictional force involved, parallel to the surface of the road.

(Then prepare yourself for bit of algebra). http://www.websmileys.com/sm/cool/694.gif

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

2. What causes friction?

Friction is caused by the irregularities on the surface of objects that come in contact with each other. These irregularities create resistance and make it difficult for objects to slide past each other easily.

3. How is friction measured?

Friction is measured using a unit called coefficient of friction, which is the ratio of the force required to move an object over a surface to the weight of the object.

4. What are the types of friction?

There are three types of friction: static friction, which is the force that prevents stationary objects from moving; kinetic friction, which is the force that resists the motion of moving objects; and rolling friction, which is the force that resists the motion of rolling objects.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Another way to reduce friction is by using smoother surfaces or by applying a force to counteract the frictional force.