Frictional force on stacked objects

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where three 10 kg blocks are stacked on top of each other on a frictionless table. A hand applies a force of 90 N to the bottom block, but the coefficient of friction between the blocks keeps them from moving. The question asks for the total force exerted on the middle block by the bottom block. The solution involves drawing a free body diagram and using Newton's Laws to find the unknown force and acceleration of the system. Finally, the normal force and friction force are added vectorially to determine the total force acting on the middle block by the bottom block.
moonbase

Homework Statement

Three 10 kg blocks are stacked on top of each other on top of a frictionless table. A hand touching the bottom block applies a force of 90 N to the right. The coefficient of friction between the blocks is sufficient to keep the blocks from moving with respect to each other. What is the total force exerted on the middle block by the bottom block?

Homework Equations

Fn=Fg=mg
Fs≤usFn

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram and have determined that the forces acting on the middle block are the normal and frictional forces from both the top and bottom block. But since it's only asking for the bottom block, I think I can what the top block is doing. I know that the normal force must be 98 N (10 kg x 9.8 m/s2) but I can't figure out what the frictional force would be. I know it must be greater than 90 N if it's resisting the push of the hand, but I don't know how I would find the "upward" force it is is giving to the block above.

Physics news on Phys.org
This reasoning is incorrect. Draw a Free Body Diagram of the entire system of 3 blocks and identify the weight and external forces acting on the system, and then use Newton's Law's in both directions to solve for the unknown force and acceleration of the system. Then look at a free body diagram perhaps of the bottom block alone, and continue using Newton's Laws again for that block.

I did that and know that the only forces acting on the middle block from the lower block are the normal force pointing up, and the frictional force pointing right, so the sum of these would be the answer. I know that the normal force is equal to the downward force on the lower block (which is mtopg + mmiddleg), but I don't understand how Newton's laws would help me find the frictional force since I'm not given a constant.

moonbase said:
I did that and know that the only forces acting on the middle block from the lower block are the normal force pointing up, and the frictional force pointing right, so the sum of these would be the answer.
The normal force and friction force act in different directions, so thet have to be added vectorially, not algebraically. But you can just state that the total or net force acting on the middle block by the bottom block is so many Newtons up (the normal force) and so many Newtons to the right (the friction force).
I know that the normal force is equal to the downward force on the lower block (which is mtopg + mmiddleg), but I don't understand how Newton's laws would help me find the frictional force since I'm not given a constant.
You don't need to find the friction coefficient, just the friction force, which you can get by using Newton 2 in the horizontal direction, once you solve for 'a' in the earlier step.

Thanks, I got it now!

Related to Frictional force on stacked objects

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the resistance force that opposes the motion of two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces and the interlocking of the irregularities.

2. How does frictional force affect stacked objects?

Frictional force can affect stacked objects by causing them to resist motion or slide against each other. This can result in the objects toppling over or shifting out of place.

3. What factors affect the frictional force on stacked objects?

The frictional force on stacked objects can be affected by the weight and surface area of the objects, as well as the type and roughness of the surface they are stacked on.

4. How can frictional force on stacked objects be reduced?

Frictional force on stacked objects can be reduced by using a lubricant between the surfaces, increasing the surface area of the objects in contact, or using materials with lower coefficients of friction.

5. Can frictional force on stacked objects be completely eliminated?

No, it is impossible to completely eliminate frictional force. However, it can be reduced to a certain extent by using various methods, as mentioned in the previous question.