Frictionless horizontal then ramp?

In summary, the object of mass m and initial speed v0 sliding on a horizontal frictionless surface will rise to a vertical height of (v^2)/2gy before coming to rest, where v is the initial speed and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The equation used is .5mv^2 = mgdeltaY, where m is the mass of the object and deltaY is the change in vertical height.
conniebear14

Homework Statement

An object of mass m and initial speed v0 sliding on a horizontal frictionless surface encounters a frictionless ramp. To what vertical height will the object rise before coming to rest?

Homework Equations

.5mv^2 = .5mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I used above equation and got (v^2)/g = h
by canceling out .5m on each side. I have no clue if that's right...

Physics news on Phys.org
hi conniebear14! :smile:
conniebear14 said:
An object of mass m and initial speed v0 sliding on a horizontal frictionless surface encounters a frictionless ramp. To what vertical height will the object rise before coming to rest?

.5mv^2 = .5mgh

it would help you to get the correct equation if you stated (in words) what principle you are using, or at least what terms you are using

what is the LHS of your equation supposed to be?

what is the RHS of your equation supposed to be? :wink:

I don't know what that means (lhs and rhs). That was the only equation I could think of. The horizontal plus a ramp is what is messing me up. Which equations would you recommend?

conniebear14 said:
I don't know what that means (lhs and rhs).

left-hand side, right-hand side! (of an equation) :biggrin:

your LHS is the KE, 1/2 mv2

your RHS should be the PE, which is not 1/2 mgh, it's … ? :smile:

okay so PE is mgdeltaY?
Where do I go from there?
I set .5mv^2 = mgdeltaY
and got deltaY = (v^2)/2g

yes, that looks fine :smile:

Related to Frictionless horizontal then ramp?

1. How does friction affect an object on a horizontal surface?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. On a horizontal surface, friction can either be present or absent, depending on the surface materials and the force applied. If there is no friction, an object will continue to move at a constant velocity in a straight line. However, if there is friction, the object's motion will be slowed down or stopped.

2. How is friction different on a ramp compared to a horizontal surface?

On a ramp, the force of gravity acting on an object is no longer perpendicular to the surface, but rather parallel to it. This causes the normal force (the force that keeps the object from falling through the surface) to be less than the object's weight. As a result, the force of friction is also reduced, making it easier for the object to slide down the ramp.

3. How does the angle of the ramp affect the amount of friction?

The steeper the angle of the ramp, the greater the force of gravity acting on the object and the smaller the normal force. This results in a decrease in the force of friction, making it easier for the object to slide down the ramp. However, if the angle of the ramp is too steep, the object may overcome the force of friction and accelerate down the ramp.

4. Can an object ever experience frictionless motion on a ramp?

No, it is not possible for an object to experience completely frictionless motion on a ramp. Even if the ramp is perfectly smooth and the object is on a frictionless surface, air resistance and other external forces will still affect the object's motion. However, friction can be minimized by using materials with low coefficients of friction and reducing the angle of the ramp.

5. How does frictionless motion on a horizontal surface differ from motion on a ramp?

On a horizontal surface, an object in motion will continue to move in a straight line at a constant velocity if there is no friction. On a ramp, the object will accelerate down the ramp due to the force of gravity, even if there is no friction. Additionally, the object's motion on a ramp will be affected by the angle of the ramp and the object's weight, while these factors do not have as much of an impact on motion on a horizontal surface.