Fridge = ac? buffer roof?

In summary, the conversation discusses two ideas for cooling a room during summer in Bangalore: using a small fridge as an AC and using white canvas and water on the roof. The expert summarizer explains that the first idea is not effective as it would only add heat to the room, and the second idea of using canvas and water can be effective due to the principle of evaporative cooling. However, they also suggest considering better insulation in the ceiling as a more permanent solution.
tgkprog
good / bad ideas:
1. have an extra fridge. small 170 litres. can i use it like an ac - cool the room? switch it on and leave the door ajar?

2. buy five-six 15x15 feet white canvas, put it on my roof. put 2-3 buckets of water on roof. canvas acts as a buffer between main roof and sun. water helps keep it all cool

its summer in Bangalore and new place is on the top floor so hotter than before!

like to know if i should try any of these? is 1 bad? will 2 be effective at all?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1 is not good. The fridge takes heat out of the air inside it and pumps it out the back.
As the fridge needs energy to operate, more heat comes out the back than is taken out from the inside. It would heat up the room.

lol ty :-) so i guess this old ts to the fridge grave yard for this old chap

anyone on the canvas idea? need to buy them, would help to know if it will help at all

Evaporating Water is fairly effective. You can increase the rate of evaporation by using cloth creating a larger surface area. Putting something reflective on the roof also helps. White is better than black, shiny metal is better than white.

How about better insulation in your ceiling?

CS

its a rented place so 'i think' canvas will be cheaper and can be sold when moving out

and another ceiling will make for less space ...

will go find prices weekend ty all

1. What is the purpose of a fridge?

The main purpose of a fridge is to keep food and drinks cold in order to prevent spoilage and bacterial growth. It also helps to preserve the freshness and quality of food for longer periods of time.

2. How does a fridge work?

A fridge works by using a refrigerant, such as freon, to absorb heat from the inside of the fridge and release it to the outside. This process cools the air inside the fridge and keeps the temperature low.

3. Can a fridge also act as an air conditioner?

Technically, a fridge and an air conditioner both use the same principle of refrigeration to cool air. However, fridges are not designed to cool large spaces and may not be as effective as an air conditioner in this regard.

4. What is the purpose of an AC buffer roof?

An AC buffer roof is a type of roof that is designed to provide insulation and protection to the air conditioning unit on top of a building. It helps to regulate the temperature and humidity inside the building, making it more energy efficient.

5. Do fridges and ACs use the same type of refrigerant?

In the past, both fridges and ACs used the same type of refrigerant, freon. However, due to its harmful effects on the environment, newer refrigerants are now being used in both fridges and ACs, such as R-410A, which is more environmentally friendly.