Fridge interfering with home theater

In summary, the individual has been experiencing a strange issue where their fridge causes their AV receiver to reboot and their HDMI video signal to flicker. They suspect it may be due to transients or EMI, and have a surge protector in place but are unsure if it is sufficient. They are looking for suggestions on how to eliminate the problem, including potentially using a better surge protector or a UPS, or trying different outlets for their equipment.
triden
Hello,

I've been noticing a weird issue lately that I think my fridge is the cause of. Whenever my fridge turns off (thermostat kicks out and stuff) by AV receiver reboots itself. If the receiver does not reboot, my HDMI video signal from the amp to the tv will start flickering until I reboot my amp. This only happens when my fridge turns off which is weird. I am not sure if maybe there are transients being sent down the line or if EMI is to blame. I have my home theater stuff on a surge outlet with "voltage spike protection" but it only cost $40...maybe it's cheap? What would be the best way to eliminate this problem?

thanks guys!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably need a better "surge-protector. Or maybe a Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) would filter the power line better.

You could also try plugging stuff into different outlets to see if you can isolate the fridge and AV equipment on different phases of the house current.

1. How can a fridge interfere with my home theater system?

A fridge can interfere with a home theater system in several ways. One common issue is electrical interference, where the fridge's motor can cause disruptions in the audio or video signals. Another issue is physical interference, where the fridge may be placed too close to the home theater equipment, causing heat and vibrations that can affect the performance of the system.

2. Can I prevent my fridge from interfering with my home theater?

Yes, there are ways to minimize the interference from your fridge. You can try moving the fridge to a different location, away from your home theater equipment. You can also invest in a power conditioner or surge protector to help eliminate any electrical interference. Additionally, keeping the fridge well-maintained and ensuring it is running efficiently can also help reduce interference.

3. How do I know if my fridge is causing interference with my home theater?

If you are experiencing issues with your home theater system, such as static or distortion in the audio or poor picture quality, it is possible that your fridge is causing interference. You can try unplugging the fridge temporarily to see if the issues go away. You can also consult with a professional to troubleshoot and determine the source of the interference.

4. Can a newer fridge still cause interference with a home theater system?

Yes, even newer fridges can still cause interference with a home theater system. While newer models may have better insulation and noise reduction features, they can still emit electrical and physical interference that can affect the performance of your home theater.

5. Is there a specific distance my fridge should be from my home theater equipment?

There is no exact distance that a fridge should be from a home theater system, as it can vary depending on the type and quality of the equipment. However, as a general rule, it is recommended to keep at least 6 feet of distance between the fridge and the home theater equipment to minimize any potential interference.