From a given basis, express a polynomial

In summary, expressing a polynomial from a given basis involves representing the polynomial as a linear combination of basis elements to simplify it for calculations. A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors or functions that can be used to construct other vectors or functions through linear combinations. The coefficients for expressing a polynomial from a given basis can be determined through a system of equations. Some common types of bases used for polynomials are monomial bases and polynomial bases. Expressing a polynomial from a given basis is useful for simplifying the polynomial and allowing for comparison and analysis of different polynomials in the same basis.
Randell Julius

Homework Statement

Express a polynomial in terms of the basis vectors.
{x2 + x, x + 1, 2}

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I think the answer is:
(x2+x)^2 + (x + 1) + 2 = 0
simplified to become:
x4 + 2x3 + x2 + x + 3 = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
What polynomial do you have to express in that basis? Is this a linear algebra question? In a vector space, there is no such thing as a product of two polynomials, so if this is a linear algebra question this doesn't make sense.

Randell Julius said:

Homework Statement

{x2 + x, x + 1, 2}

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I think the answer is:
(x2+x)^2 + (x + 1) + 2 = 0
simplified to become:
x4 + 2x3 + x2 + x + 3 = 0
This answer makes no sense for a couple of reasons.
1. Your polynomial will necessarily be of degree at most 2.
2. The answer should be a polynomial, not an equation in which the polynomial equals zero.

Whatever your polynomial is (which you didn't include), it should be written as a linear combination of your basis functions. By linear combination, I mean a sum of constant multiples of those basis functions ##x^2 + x, x + 1,## and ##2##.

Please include the full statement of the problem you're working on.

Mark44 said:
This answer makes no sense for a couple of reasons.
1. Your polynomial will necessarily be of degree at most 2.
2. The answer should be a polynomial, not an equation in which the polynomial equals zero.

Whatever your polynomial is (which you didn't include), it should be written as a linear combination of your basis functions. By linear combination, I mean a sum of constant multiples of those basis functions ##x^2 + x, x + 1,## and ##2##.

Please include the full statement of the problem you're working on.
This is what I initially thought it would be, but this is all that my professor gave me. I will ask him.

Thank you.

Perhaps he means "Express a quadratic polynomial ##ax^2 + bx + c## in terms of the basis functions ##x^2 + x, x + 1,## and ##2##."

Likes Physics345
Randell Julius said:
{x2 + x, x + 1, 2}
What do vectors have to do with this at all?
{x2 + x, x + 1, 2}

This is not in vector format if anything it's what mark said "a quadratic polynomial" (which means the function has a degree of two)
I am absolutely positive a professor would not give out a question like that.

Physics345 said:
The functions ##x^2 + x, x + 1##, and ##2## are a basis for ##P_2(x)##, the space of functions of degree 2 or less. In other words, the set of all polynomials of the form ##ax^2 + bx + c##, with a, b, and c being real numbers. A function space is almost identical to a vector space; in this case ##P_2(x)## is isomorphic (same "shape") as ##\mathbb R^3## -- each polynomial is paired to a specific vector in ##\mathbb R^3## and vice versa. The operation of addition of polynomials corresponds to addition of vectors, and scalar multiplication of a polynomial corresponds to scalar multiplication of vectors.

Physics345 said:
{x2 + x, x + 1, 2}

This is not in vector format if anything it's what mark said "a quadratic polynomial" (which means the function has a degree of two)
I am absolutely positive a professor would not give out a question like that.
The correspondence
$$a + b x +c x^2 \leftrightarrow (a,b,c)$$
turns the space of second-degree polynomials into a three-dimensional vector space. The sum of two polynomials turns into the sum of two vectors; the product of a polynomial and a number turns into the product of a vector and a number. The space of polynomials IS a vector space.

1. What does it mean to "express a polynomial from a given basis?"

Expressing a polynomial from a given basis means finding a way to represent the polynomial as a linear combination of the basis elements. This allows us to simplify the polynomial and make it easier to work with in calculations.

2. What is a basis and how is it related to polynomials?

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors or functions that can be used to construct other vectors or functions through linear combinations. In the context of polynomials, a basis can be a set of polynomials that can be combined to create any other polynomial.

3. How do you determine the coefficients when expressing a polynomial from a given basis?

The coefficients can be determined through a system of equations using the given basis and the polynomial to be expressed. The equations can be set up by equating the polynomial to the linear combination of the basis elements and then solving for the coefficients.

4. What are some common types of bases used when expressing polynomials?

Some common types of bases used for polynomials are monomial bases, where the basis elements are powers of a single variable, and polynomial bases, where the basis elements are polynomials of increasing degree.

5. Why is it useful to express a polynomial from a given basis?

Expressing a polynomial from a given basis allows us to simplify the polynomial and make it easier to work with in calculations. It also allows us to compare and analyze different polynomials by their coefficients in the same basis, which can provide insights into their properties and behavior.