How to find a constant in this quadratic equation?

In summary, the function has a solution for sin tetha and cos tetha when x=0 and x=1, but it is not clear whether or not the rule is satisfied when x=0. When x=0, k=0, but when x=1, k=1/(root 3 - root 2). There is only one possible solution when x=0 and x=1.
Helly123

Homework Statement

2014_Mat_B.png

Homework Equations

for equation which has 2 different solutions, D >0

The Attempt at a Solution

(1)[/B] D > 0
b^2 - 4ac > 0
3 - 4root2.k > 0
k < 3 / ( 4root 2 )
k < ( 3 root 2 ) /8

has solution of sin tetha and cos tetha
sin 0 = 0, cos 0 = 1.
when x = 0, and x = 1 --> satisfy the rule?

when x = 0,
k = 0...
when x = 1,
k = 1/(root 3 - root 2)

can anyone help me to finish it?

(2) (x^3 + a/x^2)^5 = -270
something to the power 5 would be -270, means that something is negative
the factor of 270 = 3 x 3 x 3 x 5 x 2
can anyone help me to finish it?

(3) f( g(x) ) = 3gx + 1 / (2gx + 1)
x = 3gx + 1 / (2gx + 1)

and finally I get
2x^2 - 3x + 3 = -2px^2 + 3px + 3
(x1 + x2) on left equation = (x1 + x2) on right ?

-b/a = -b/a
3/2 = -3p/-2p

and x1.x2 on left equation = x1.x2 on right ?
c/a = c/a
3/2 = 3/-2p
p = -1
Is it right way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello! please use latex next time thanks!

1) Let x1=sin(θ) and x2=cos(θ), then by substitution into the original equation you can find the value of k since you are given the interval of θ.

2) I am not sure what is meant by the "constant term" but I will asume is [itex](x^3+ \frac{a}{x^2})^5=-270[/itex].
Then by [itex]-(x^3+ \frac{a}{x^2})=(270)^5[/itex] and therefore by multipling by [itex]x^2[/itex] we have [itex](x^5+ a)=-x^2(270)^5[/itex] rearranging factors [itex]x^2(x^3+(270)^5)=-a[/itex] shows that a depends on a so there is not a definite answer but an infinite of them... give x a value and you get a value of a and viceversa.

3) By substitution let x in f(x) be [itex]x=\frac{px+1}{2x-3}[/itex] and then impose f(x)=x. As a hint, in the interval x≠-1/2,3/2 you would probably end up having an expresion of the type 1/0...

Hope to help.

I still not find number 2.. can anyone help?

Expand (x3 +a/x2)5 using the binomial theorem and look at the constant term.

using binomial...
$$X^{15} - 5x^{12} \frac {a} {x^2} + 10x^{9} \frac {a^{2}} {x^{4}} - 10x^{6} \frac {a^{3}} {x^{6}} + 5x^{3} \frac {a^{4}} {x^{8}} - \frac {a^{5}} {x^{10}} = -270 $$

now I don't know..
can anyone help?

Double check your binomial expansion. It is wrong. Then simplify the terms. Combine the x factors in each term by combining the exponents.

Helly123 said:
using binomial... $$x^{15} - 5x^{12} \frac {a} {x^2} + 10x^{9} \frac {a^{2}} {x^{4}} - 10x^{6} \frac {a^{3}} {x^{6}} + 5x^{3} \frac {a^{4}} {x^{8}} - \frac {a^{5}} {x^{10}} $$
now I don't know..
can anyone help?
Why are the signs alternating?

Which term is the constant term ?

Alex Cros said:
what is meant by the "constant term"
That term in the binomial expansion which is independent of x.
Alex Cros said:
I will asume is [itex](x^3+ \frac{a}{x^2})^5=-270[/itex]
No, only the constant term equals -270, not the whole function.

Likes Helly123
haruspex said:
That term in the binomial expansion which is independent of x.

No, only the constant term equals -270, not the whole function.
I think it doesn't have constant term. The last term is $$\frac { a^5} {x^{10}}$$

Helly123 said:
I think it doesn't have constant term. The last term is $$\frac { a^5} {x^{10}}$$
The constant term need not be the last one.

Likes Helly123
Helly123 said:
Simplify each term by combining the exponents of x like xn/xm = xn-m. One term will end up with x0 = 1. That is the constant term. I shouldn't help more than that on a homework problem.

Likes Helly123

1. What is a constant in a quadratic equation?

A constant in a quadratic equation refers to a number that does not change throughout the equation. It is usually represented by the letter "c" and does not have any variables attached to it.

2. How do I find the constant in a quadratic equation?

To find the constant in a quadratic equation, you can use the "c" term in the standard form of the equation, which is ax^2 + bx + c. You can also find it by looking at the y-intercept of the parabola graph of the equation.

3. Can the constant in a quadratic equation be negative?

Yes, the constant in a quadratic equation can be negative. It can have any real number value, including positive, negative, or zero.

4. Why is the constant important in a quadratic equation?

The constant in a quadratic equation is important because it affects the position of the parabola's vertex and the y-intercept of the graph. It also helps determine the direction and shape of the parabola.

5. How does the constant affect the solutions of a quadratic equation?

The constant in a quadratic equation affects the solutions by determining the number of solutions and their values. It can result in two real solutions, one real solution, or no real solutions depending on its value in relation to the other terms in the equation.