How Can I Convert a Simple CSV File to a Single Page PDF?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter zunf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Csv Pdf
In summary, the csv file needs to be in a table format, with a font size and column spacing that is predetermined by the height and width of the file in characters.
zunf
Hi,
I have a really simple CSV with some data that needs to be visualized all together in a single page .

The CSV content is basically 4 columns wide with short names and small numbers in the cells so I need to create a layout where the list goes from the up left corner of the page to the bottom right one .

I don't need separators, I don't need to print lines or headers, I want a clean and minimal solution . I Just need to print the content of the CSV: the data itself .

I would like to take control over the margins of the page and the font size to not waste any space on the paper, if there is a software will automatically adjust everything based on how many entries there will be in the CSV it will be even better .

I tried csv2latex and the result is very comparable to the results that I have obtained with the csvsimple package for latex, which means that it doesn't respond to my needs and I can't achieve what I want .

Since this CSV > PDF conversion will happen once in a while I'm open to all kinds of solutions, even ones that requires softwares with a GUI.

Thanks .

Physics news on Phys.org
zunf said:
Hi,
I have a really simple CSV with some data that needs to be visualized all together in a single page .

The CSV content is basically 4 columns wide with short names and small numbers in the cells so I need to create a layout where the list goes from the up left corner of the page to the bottom right one .

I don't need separators, I don't need to print lines or headers, I want a clean and minimal solution . I Just need to print the content of the CSV: the data itself .

I would like to take control over the margins of the page and the font size to not waste any space on the paper, if there is a software will automatically adjust everything based on how many entries there will be in the CSV it will be even better .

I tried csv2latex and the result is very comparable to the results that I have obtained with the csvsimple package for latex, which means that it doesn't respond to my needs and I can't achieve what I want .

Since this CSV > PDF conversion will happen once in a while I'm open to all kinds of solutions, even ones that requires softwares with a GUI.

Thanks .
I often loaded csv files into excel and went on from there. This gave me additional formats: from screenshot to word. This way you could first create a doc file by copy and paste and then a pdf out of it.

I have at least 4 softwares to do just that, including LibreOffice since I'm on Linux, the real problem is to reflow everything on a single page and make it a single-page pdf file .

I can even create a Postscript document or a DVI file with the data on it, but since I don't have this kind of know-how with Latex or more evolved solutions I don't know how to solve this .

Difficult to tell from far. OO should do the same, it was just shorter to type excel and word and simultaneously transport the meaning. But once you have it as spreadsheet, can't you simply manipulate it there until it fits at least the size.

Another approach is to use global search and replace commands, preferably on a copy of the csv (I like textpad for those purposes), and transform it into a tex version. Here are examples of matrices and tables: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

I downloaded texstudio to create tex files. They automatically produce a pdf and you have full control about sizes, lists or tables and fonts.

I'm still looking for the right solution or any solution whatsoever .

The point is having something that auto-fits itself and gives me the freedom to tune just the right amount of margins and fonts .

I'm still amazed by the fact that there is no tex package that auto-manages tabular data in a simple multi-column style A4 paper .

I didn't had much time to try new things lately but I found some plugins/scripts for scribus, maybe this will do the trick.

a,b,c,d,e;
1,2,3,4,5;
,,,,;

(textpad) ---> F8 ("," ---> "&") F8 (";" ---> "\\ \hline")

a&b&c&d&e\\ \hline
1&2&3&4&5\\ \hline
&&&&\\ \hline

Ctrl+A Ctrl+C

(texstudio)

\begin{tabular}{columns} <--- specs
Ctrl+V
\end{tabular}
--->
\begin{tabular}{c|c|c|c|c}
a&b&c&d&e\\ \hline
1&2&3&4&5\\ \hline
&&&&\\ \hline
\end{tabular}

upload_2018-8-18_16-50-27.png

F5 ---> .pdf

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-18_16-50-27.png
    upload_2018-8-18_16-50-27.png
    763 bytes · Views: 539
You might be able to use the ideas from these python scripts
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48863462/writing-full-csv-table-to-pdf-in-python
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48795854/writing-csv-table-to-pdf-report
or perl
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43641594/how-to-convert-csv-data-to-pdf-table-using-pdftable

By counting the height and width of your tabled csv file in units of characters,
you can probably come up with a formula for the optimal font size and column spacing for your paper size.

1. What is a CSV file?

A CSV (Comma Separated Values) file is a type of data file that stores tabular data in a plain text format. It is commonly used to store large amounts of data in a structured way, and can be easily read and manipulated by various software programs.

2. How can I convert a CSV file to a single page PDF?

To convert a CSV file to a single page PDF, you will need to use a software program or online converter that supports this conversion. Some popular options include Microsoft Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and online tools like Smallpdf or PDF Converter.

3. Why would I need to convert a CSV file to a single page PDF?

Converting a CSV file to a single page PDF can be useful for several reasons. It can make the data more visually appealing and easier to read, especially if the CSV file contains a lot of columns and rows. It can also make it easier to share the data with others, as PDF files are widely accessible and can be opened on most devices.

4. Can I customize the layout of the PDF when converting from a CSV file?

Yes, depending on the tool or software you use to convert the CSV file to a PDF, you may have the option to customize the layout. This can include choosing which columns and rows to include, adjusting the font and formatting, and adding headers or footers.

5. Is there a limit to the size of the CSV file that can be converted to a single page PDF?

This will depend on the tool or software you use, as well as the capabilities of your computer or device. Some tools may have a file size limit, while others may be able to handle larger files. It is always a good idea to check the specifications of the tool or software before attempting to convert a large CSV file to a PDF.