FRONTLINE: The Suicide Tourist

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
In summary, Frontline's "Suicide Tourist" is a deeply moving and humbling look at the challenges of living with ALS, and the choices individuals with the disease make about when to die.
Topher925
One of my favorite shows is Frontline on PBS, and last night (this morning) I watched what I think was one of the best shows they have ever done. Its a profoundly humbling story and I thought others here who haven't seen it might really enjoy it as well.
Five months after being diagnosed with ALS, Craig Ewert arrived in Switzerland for his scheduled suicide. A story about struggling to live ... and deciding when to die.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...page&utm_medium=proglist&utm_source=proglist"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that Frontline is top-notch.

I catch many but not all of them; not this one. Thanks for the heads up.

If anyone wants to see the beginnings of our economy going to hell in a handbag watch:

FRONTLINE THE WARNING

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/warning/

edward said:
If anyone wants to see the beginnings of our economy going to hell in a handbag watch:

FRONTLINE THE WARNING

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/warning/

Who was the "lone regulator"?

Topher925 said:
One of my favorite shows is Frontline on PBS, and last night (this morning) I watched what I think was one of the best shows they have ever done. Its a profoundly humbling story and I thought others here who haven't seen it might really enjoy it as well.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...page&utm_medium=proglist&utm_source=proglist"

A group of colleagues work on ALS. I forwarded them this link. Thank you, Magnus

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched it online, it's a great film, but one thing I noticed was, why wasn't his wife showing any emotions what-so-ever at the moment he drank the drug? I'd expect at least some tears from her...!?

Desiree said:
I watched it online, it's a great film, but one thing I noticed was, why wasn't his wife showing any emotions what-so-ever at the moment he drank the drug? I'd expect at least some tears from her...!?
Maybe by then she was all out of tears at that point. Or perhaps she waited until she was off camera, or when he stopped breathing, or . . . .

Desiree said:

She had been through for months .. Personally, I think she looks like a very brave woman.

Desiree said:

Because people generally don't behave in ways that movies and teevee tells us that people behave in given situations, particularly to do with grieving. I don't know how many times I've heard people comment at wakes and funerals about someone else's demeanour, as if the person in question wasn't behaving appropriately for the situation at hand. But what is "appropriate"? I've known some people who sleepwalk through all of the funeral home proceedings and church and suddenly break-down graveside. I've seen people react and respond in varying ways, from deep sadness to unbreakable shock to supreme anger. I spent a lot of time with my best friend's mother when her son died, and from all appearances she seemed mostly okay. I kept catching her (unintentionally) at unguarded moments and she was coming unglued. When my grandmother lost my grandfather, she only shed silent tears when she thought she was alone. I've watched people get incredibly angry and aggressive. I've seen people seemingly not react at all.

My point is, you don't know, and you certainly can't judge anyone else's reactions in given situations when faced with grieving. The only thing I am sure of is a lot of people aren't going to do what you expect they might.

1. What is "FRONTLINE: The Suicide Tourist" about?

"FRONTLINE: The Suicide Tourist" is a documentary that follows the journey of a terminally ill man named Craig Ewert as he travels to Switzerland to end his life through assisted suicide.

2. Why did Craig Ewert choose to end his life through assisted suicide?

Craig Ewert was diagnosed with ALS, a degenerative disease that would eventually leave him paralyzed and unable to breathe on his own. He did not want to suffer through the later stages of the disease and chose to end his life on his own terms.

3. Is assisted suicide legal in Switzerland?

Yes, assisted suicide has been legal in Switzerland since 1942. However, there are strict guidelines and regulations that must be followed, including a waiting period and psychiatric evaluation.

4. Did Craig Ewert's family support his decision to end his life?

Yes, Craig's wife and two adult sons were supportive of his decision and accompanied him to Switzerland. They respected his wishes and were there to support him in his final moments.

5. Does "FRONTLINE: The Suicide Tourist" present both sides of the assisted suicide debate?

Yes, the documentary presents both the perspectives of those who support and those who oppose assisted suicide. It includes interviews with individuals from various backgrounds, including medical professionals, legal experts, and advocates for the right to die.