Fuchs-Sondheimer Resistivity model for Nanowires

In summary, the paper found that resistivity increases with decreasing width, while the model predicts that resistivity decreases with decreasing width. There is a problem with the calculation, which is still being investigated.
Avocado
I calculated FS Model using Mathcad and I got that this part
upload_2019-1-11_19-41-34.png

increases with decreasing width $\w$.
This make the resistivity increases with decreasing width $\w$.
This contradict the result of this model.

Has anyone ever come across with this before?

the original paper: https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.61.14215
complete equation:
vat07.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-11_19-41-34.png
    upload_2019-1-11_19-41-34.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,002
  • vat07.png
    vat07.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 940
Physics news on Phys.org
I don’t understand. The resistivity does increase with decreasing width. The paper you link to says this explicitly in the abstract:
The abstract said:
We find that the resistivity increases as wire width decreases in a manner which is dependent on the mean grain size and cannot be explained adequately by either model alone.

TeethWhitener said:
I don’t understand. The resistivity does increase with decreasing width. The paper you link to says this explicitly in the abstract:

yes, the paper does say so.

When I calculate it, the result is the opposite.

This term below,
upload_2019-1-11_19-41-34-png.png

increases with dicreasing width. This make the resistivity increases with decreasing width.

I calculated it with Mathcad.
The integration is difficult, so I cannot check it by hand calculation.
What I mean is, if there are some mistakes, the mistakes might be from that term.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-11_19-41-34-png.png
    upload_2019-1-11_19-41-34-png.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 623
I still don’t understand. You, the paper, and Mathcad all say the same thing: that resistivity increases with decreasing width. Where is the problem?

Apologize, what I meant is resistivity decreases with decreasing width.
This is the opposite of the model prediction.

This term below,
upload_2019-1-11_19-41-34-png-png.png

increases with dicreasing width. This make the resistivity decreases with decreasing width.I finish calculating it with MATLAB to double check.
It shows the same with the Mathcad calculation.
Small width has smaller resistivity.

upload_2019-1-12_16-27-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-12_16-27-3.png
    upload_2019-1-12_16-27-3.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 651
  • upload_2019-1-11_19-41-34-png-png.png
    upload_2019-1-11_19-41-34-png-png.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 588
It's a bit dry to me. In your last screenshot, are the plots the ratio of ##\frac{\rho _0}{\rho}##? What is ##\rho _0##? I'm guessing it's the resistivity at a particular width. If that ratio goes to ##0## as ##w## goes to ##0## as you seem to show in your plots, then it would mean that the resistivity increases when ##w## decreases, which is inline with the paper. So there would be no problem.

fluidistic said:
It's a bit dry to me. In your last screenshot, are the plots the ratio of ##\frac{\rho _0}{\rho}##? What is ##\rho _0##? I'm guessing it's the resistivity at a particular width. If that ratio goes to ##0## as ##w## goes to ##0## as you seem to show in your plots, then it would mean that the resistivity increases when ##w## decreases, which is inline with the paper. So there would be no problem.

The plot is ##\rho(w)## vs. ##\w##.
##\rho _0## is the bulk resistivity, considered a constant.

Avocado said:
The plot is ##\rho(w)## vs. ##\w##.
##\rho _0## is the bulk resistivity, considered a constant.
I see, this is puzzling. Which value of p did you choose (1/2?).

fluidistic said:
I see, this is puzzling. Which value of p did you choose (1/2?).

Yes, I chose p=0.5 in order to recreate the plot on the paper.

I am a bit puzzled and this is not a topic I am very knowledgeable about, but why are you allowed to set [itex]\phi=arctan\frac{w}{h}[/itex]?
Is this not supposed to be an integration over the whole azimuthal angle?

Cthugha said:
I am a bit puzzled and this is not a topic I am very knowledgeable about, but why are you allowed to set [itex]\phi=arctan\frac{w}{h}[/itex]?
Is this not supposed to be an integration over the whole azimuthal angle?

Yes, you are right.
I am trying other formula now.
The calculation take long time though. Still not sure about the result.

medium?v=1.png

Attachments

• medium?v=1.png
    medium?v=1.png
    23 KB · Views: 568

1. What is the Fuchs-Sondheimer Resistivity model for Nanowires?

The Fuchs-Sondheimer Resistivity model is a theoretical model used to calculate the electrical resistivity of nanowires. It takes into account the effects of surface scattering and quantum confinement on the electrical conductivity of nanowires.

2. How does the Fuchs-Sondheimer Resistivity model differ from other models?

The Fuchs-Sondheimer model differs from other models in that it takes into account the size of the nanowire and the surface roughness, which can greatly affect the electrical conductivity of the nanowire. It also considers the effect of quantum confinement, which becomes more significant as the size of the nanowire decreases.

3. What are the key assumptions of the Fuchs-Sondheimer Resistivity model?

The Fuchs-Sondheimer model assumes that the nanowire is long and thin, with a constant cross-sectional area. It also assumes that the surface roughness is small compared to the size of the nanowire, and that the scattering at the surface is elastic.

4. How accurate is the Fuchs-Sondheimer Resistivity model?

The accuracy of the Fuchs-Sondheimer model depends on the specific parameters of the nanowire, such as its size and surface roughness. In general, it is considered to be a good approximation for nanowires with diameters larger than 10 nanometers. However, for smaller nanowires, other factors such as electron-electron interactions may become more significant and the model may not be as accurate.

5. How is the Fuchs-Sondheimer Resistivity model used in nanowire research?

The Fuchs-Sondheimer model is often used in conjunction with experimental data to analyze and interpret the electrical properties of nanowires. It can also be used to predict the electrical conductivity of different types of nanowires and to optimize their design for specific applications.