Fuel Cells for Isolated Electric Generation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ethanol as a fuel for fuel cells in order to generate electricity in places where there is no access to electrical energy. The individual is researching the availability and effectiveness of this product and is seeking opinions and experiences from others. It is mentioned that fuel cells have been more successful in Japan than in the USA.
NicolasBarberis
Hello, I am researching about fuel cells that use Ethanol as a fuel, because I want to buy a equiptment of approximate 5 Kw (Electric) that uses Ethanol as a fuel for electric generation in anyplace, where yet there is not supply of electrical Energy by wire.
Have you heard anything about this subject?
Do you know if there are commercially available products?

Sincerely.
Nicolas Barberis.

Engineering news on Phys.org
NicolasBarberis said:
Hello, I am researching about fuel cells that use Ethanol as a fuel, because I want to buy a equiptment of approximate 5 Kw (Electric) that uses Ethanol as a fuel for electric generation in anyplace, where yet there is not supply of electrical Energy by wire.
Have you heard anything about this subject?
Do you know if there are commercially available products?

Sincerely.
Nicolas Barberis.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

A Google search seems to turn up lots of hits, including some shopping links:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ethanol+fuel+cell&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Thank you very much Beckerman. But I am researching application of this product, experiences of people that use it, suppliers of it because I want analize the possibility to buy this product. In Argentina We have a lot of problem with Electrical Energy because there are a lot of places that it hasn't energy.
My idea is try to resolve this problems with Fuel cell that use Ethanol as a fuel.
What is your opinion about this ?

Sincerely
Nicolas Barberis.

NicolasBarberis said:
Thank you very much Beckerman. But I am researching application of this product, experiences of people that use it, suppliers of it because I want analize the possibility to buy this product. In Argentina We have a lot of problem with Electrical Energy because there are a lot of places that it hasn't energy.
My idea is try to resolve this problems with Fuel cell that use Ethanol as a fuel.
What is your opinion about this ?

Sincerely
Nicolas Barberis.

Fuel cells have been much more successful in Japan than in the USA. See this PF thread. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/residential-fuel-cells-japan-vs-us-eu.910154/

Likes berkeman
Thank you very much Anorlunda.

1. What are fuel cells and how do they work?

Fuel cells are devices that convert the chemical energy of a fuel, such as hydrogen or natural gas, into electricity through a chemical reaction. This process involves the fuel being combined with oxygen from the air, resulting in the release of electrons that create an electric current. This process is continuous as long as there is a supply of fuel and oxygen.

2. What are the benefits of using fuel cells for isolated electric generation?

Fuel cells offer several benefits for isolated electric generation, including being low-emission and highly efficient. They also have a longer lifespan compared to traditional generators and are quieter during operation. Additionally, fuel cells can be easily scaled to meet the specific energy needs of a particular location.

3. What types of fuel cells are commonly used for isolated electric generation?

The most commonly used types of fuel cells for isolated electric generation are proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cells and solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs). PEM fuel cells are typically smaller and more suitable for residential or small-scale applications, while SOFCs are better suited for larger, industrial applications.

4. What are the challenges of using fuel cells for isolated electric generation?

One of the main challenges of using fuel cells for isolated electric generation is the high cost of production and installation. Additionally, the infrastructure for supplying and storing fuel may not be readily available in all areas. There may also be technical challenges in terms of maintaining and integrating fuel cells with existing electric grids.

5. How can fuel cells be used for isolated electric generation in remote or off-grid areas?

Fuel cells can be used for isolated electric generation in remote or off-grid areas by utilizing alternative fuels, such as biofuels or biogas, that can be produced locally. This reduces the need for a complex infrastructure for fuel supply and can make fuel cells a more viable option in these areas. Additionally, advancements in renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power, can supplement the fuel supply and make fuel cells a more sustainable and reliable source of electricity in isolated areas.