Fuel consumption of a Porsche

In summary, the conversation discusses the technical specifications of a Porsche 911, including its power and fuel consumption. The speaker then makes a calculation based on the assumed speed of 90 km/h and gets a result that differs significantly from the stated fuel consumption. Further discussion reveals that the engine does not need to produce its maximum rated power to maintain highway speed, and that the fuel consumption is affected by factors such as engine efficiency and power output at the wheels. This leads to a discussion about the accuracy of manufacturers' stated power values and the impact of efficiency on fuel consumption.
mastermechanic
I was looking at the technical specs of Porsche 911. It has 427 kW power and 7.5 liters/100 km fuel consumption on highway. I made a quick calculation but I got strange result. Please tell me why ;

First I assumed that the car has 90 km/h constant speed on highway so it will take 1.11 hours to travel 100 km.

$$ 1.11 x 3600sec= 4000 sec$$
$$ 427kW.4.10^3 = 1708 MJ$$
$$ Q= m.H$$ where the m is mass of fuel and H is heating value
Gasoline's heating value = 45 MJ/kg
$$1708 MJ = m. 45\frac{MJ}{kg}$$
$$ m= 38 kg$$
and density of gasoline= $$680\frac{kg}{m^3}$$ =>$$\frac{38}{680} = 0.055 m^3$$

$$ 0.055 m^3 . (\frac{1000L}{1 m^3})= 55 L$$ and it's far away from 7.5 L

Edit: I guess we should take into account 25% efficiency but it implies that tech. specs don't show the real power of the car, it shows theoretical power? My mind has blown :D

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The engine is putting out far less than its maximum rated power of 427 kW when traveling down the highway at 90 km/hr. Ask yourself, if you are driving down the highway at 90 km/hr, do you have the accelerator pressed all the way to the floor?

Likes RogueOne and russ_watters
I didn't verify your calculations, but assuming they are all correct, the delta is due to an invalid assumption. The engine won't need to produce 427 kW just to maintain 90 km/h. The 427 kw is used to accelerate like a bat-outa-hell. Then the engine 'relaxes' to a fraction of that power level to maintain a highway speed.

If your other calculations are correct, that fraction would be 7.5 ∕ 55 ≈ 0.13636364 or ~ 58 kw.

Some related discussion here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-such-a-large-engine-generator-in-a-chevy-volt.909984/

edit/add: cross posted with phyzguy!
further edit/add: If you assume ~ 25 % efficiency in the ICE, that 58 kW in the fuel ends up as ~ 14.5 kW or ~ 19 HP, close to some assumptions I made in that other thread.

Likes RogueOne
NTL2009 said:
The engine won't need to produce 427 kW just to maintain 90 km/h.

Okay so you're saying that it won't need to use the whole power at 90km/h. Okay but you probable heard that if Bugatti Veyron travels at max speed of 407 km/h it will out of fuel in 8 min. Let's calculate it.

Bugatti has 100 liters fuel tank, 1200 hp = 895 kW power and again gasoline has 45 MJ/kg heating value and 680 kg/m^3 density. Because the fuel tank is 100 liters, the tank will be 68 kg when it's full. And I will choose and X which represents the time. So;

$$ 895\frac{kJ}{s}.X = 68kg.45\frac{MJ}{kg} =$$
$$ X= \frac{ 3060.10^6 J}{895.10^3 J} = 3418 sec $$ which is about 55 min and I know it is impossible again at 407 km/h.

Are you forgetting ICE efficiency again? 55 minutes times ~ 25% efficiency gets you in the ballpark at ~ 13.75 minutes. But an engine designed for raw power might sacrifice efficiency? Assume ~ 15% and you have your 8 minutes. Again, I didn't check your other calcs, but all this seems to fit.

Likes mastermechanic
NTL2009 said:
Are you forgetting ICE efficiency again? 55 minutes times ~ 25% efficiency gets you in the ballpark at ~ 13.75 minutes. But an engine designed for raw power might sacrifice efficiency? Assume ~ 15% and you have your 8 minutes. Again, I didn't check your other calcs, but all this seems to fit.

But isn't it weird? These power values are the "output" values so they should have been already reduced by Ice efficiency. If it's vice versa, why componies show the theoretical values? If the total power is 895kw then they should show 220 kw.

mastermechanic said:
But isn't it weird? These power values are the "output" values so they should have been already reduced by Ice efficiency. If it's vice versa, why componies show the theoretical values? If the total power is 895kw then they should show 220 kw.

No, I don't think so.

You state the Bugatti has 895 kW of engine output power. If we assume 25% efficiency, it needs 4x that for input power, 3.58 MW, but the Bugatti efficiency maybe is closer to the 15% we mentioned above, so maybe ~ 5.97 MW?

Likes mastermechanic and billy_joule
mastermechanic said:
But isn't it weird? These power values are the "output" values so they should have been already reduced by Ice efficiency.
Right -- the output is after the efficiency, but the input is before the efficiency.
...why componies show the theoretical values? If the total power is 895kw then they should show 220 kw.
It's not "theoretical", it is peak power, and it really is the output power. So if the efficiency is 25% (about right), the input is 4x higher.

Likes RogueOne
Another issue is that manufacturers generally state peak engine power as measured at the flywheel. After losses in a complex 4wd drivetrain like in a Veyron power at the wheels can be 30% less.

Likes OCR

1. How does the fuel consumption of a Porsche compare to other sports cars?

The exact fuel consumption of a Porsche will vary depending on the model and year, but in general, Porsches tend to have similar fuel efficiency as other sports cars. However, newer models may have more advanced fuel-saving technologies and therefore have slightly better fuel consumption.

2. What factors affect the fuel consumption of a Porsche?

The main factors that affect the fuel consumption of a Porsche include the type of driving (city vs. highway), driving habits, vehicle weight, engine size, and maintenance. Driving at high speeds and aggressive acceleration can also significantly impact fuel consumption.

3. Is there a significant difference in fuel consumption between manual and automatic Porsches?

In general, manual Porsches tend to have slightly better fuel consumption than automatic Porsches since they give the driver more control over shifting gears. However, the difference is not significant and ultimately depends on the individual driver's habits and driving style.

4. How often should a Porsche be refueled?

The frequency of refueling a Porsche will vary depending on the model and driving habits. On average, a Porsche can cover around 300-400 miles before needing to be refueled. However, this can vary significantly depending on factors such as driving style, terrain, and vehicle maintenance.

5. Does the fuel consumption of a Porsche decrease over time?

As with any vehicle, the fuel consumption of a Porsche may decrease over time due to wear and tear on the engine and other components. However, regular maintenance and proper driving habits can help maintain fuel efficiency over the life of the vehicle.