Full Bridge Inverter: Got the answer by 1 method, but not by another

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the peak output voltage and current in a circuit using Fourier analysis and the method of V=L.di/dt. It also touches on the function of diodes in maintaining smooth current flow and the potential for damage if diodes are not used. The difference between using unidirectional and bidirectional switches is also mentioned.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2018-1-2_14-54-11.png

Homework Equations

Fourier and then V(output) = 4Vs/(n*3.14) * sin (nwt) where Vs is battery here it's 400V
Current = V(output) / X(L). Here X is 2*3.14*100*0.2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got V(output) = 4*400/3.14 = 509.55V This is fundamental Peak output voltage.
So Current peak = 509.55 / impedance. Impedance = 2*3.14*100*0.2 = 125.6 Ohm
So Current peak = 509.55 / 125.6 = 4.06A
But this is not in option.

If i use other method of V = L di/dt
upload_2018-1-2_14-59-25.png

Here for time interval by green line
400 = 0.2 * di/dt
dt = time interval in green part = time period / 4. Frequency = 100 Hz. So Time period = 0.01 seconds
So dt = T/4 = 2.5 milli seconds
So 400 = 0.2 * di / dt
This gives di = 5 A.

But why don't i get correct answer if I go by above method of fourier?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-2_14-54-11.png
    upload_2018-1-2_14-54-11.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 897
  • upload_2018-1-2_14-59-25.png
    upload_2018-1-2_14-59-25.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
With all ideal components, I think you're correct in saying the current waveform will be triangular. So your analysis using L.di/dt should be right.

In your analysis using Fourier's fundamental component, you are approximating that trianglar wave to a sinusoid, so you can't expect the peak values to be the same. The formula is one you copied from someone else's analysis, is it? There is, of course, a fixed relation between the peak value of a symmetrical triangular wave and the peak value of its first harmonic (the fundamental). So maybe you could work backwards: knowing the peak value of its fundamental component, what would be the peak value of the Fourier-related triangular wave?

Likes jaus tail and anorlunda
The formula for Fourier I used of Resistive load. Yeah you're right it would be different.
From google i got
I(sinusoidal) = 8/(3.14)2 I(triangular)
So I got I(sinusoidal) = 4.06 times I (triangular)
So I (triangular) = 4.06 * 3.14 * 3.14 / 8 = 5.009 A

What do the diodes do here?

Diodes help maintain current smooth across inductor. If diodes are removed they'll be high reverse potential across switches which may cause boom.
In figure below, left diagram is when switches are conducting and right diagram is when diodes are conducting. Current through inductor is left to right.
After time T3, the current through inductor reverses.
upload_2018-1-3_9-45-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-3_9-45-35.png
    upload_2018-1-3_9-45-35.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 392
If you were using unidirectional switches¹ for T1...4 then you would need the diodes to be conducting for the full ¼ cycle as you describe. They could be described as "freewheeling diodes".

But if you were able to build the circuit using 4 bidirectional switches² or ideal switches then you could operate each pair of switches for a full ½ cycle at a time, meaning T1,3 or T2,4 would be carrying current practically all the time, and subjecting the diodes to only brief spikes of current during switch changeover, then you could call them protection diodes.

¹ such as ordinary transistors
² such as FETs

Likes jaus tail

1. What is a full bridge inverter?

A full bridge inverter is an electronic circuit that converts direct current (DC) to alternating current (AC). It uses four switches in a bridge configuration to switch the polarity of the DC input, producing an AC output.

2. How does a full bridge inverter work?

A full bridge inverter works by using four switches, typically transistors, to switch the polarity of the DC input. This switching creates an AC output with a frequency determined by the switching speed of the transistors. The output is then filtered to produce a smooth AC waveform.

3. What are the advantages of using a full bridge inverter?

One advantage of a full bridge inverter is that it can produce a higher power output than other types of inverters. It also allows for the control of the output voltage and frequency, making it suitable for a variety of applications. Additionally, the full bridge configuration helps to minimize the harmonic distortion in the output waveform.

4. What is the difference between getting the answer by one method and another?

The difference between getting the answer by one method and another refers to the different ways of calculating the output voltage and frequency of a full bridge inverter. One method involves using the switching frequency and the duty cycle of the switches, while the other method uses the input voltage and the transformer turns ratio.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with a full bridge inverter?

If you are experiencing issues with a full bridge inverter, the first step is to check all the connections and components for any damage or loose connections. You can also use a multimeter to check the input and output voltages and ensure they are within the expected range. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to consult a professional or refer to the manufacturer's troubleshooting guide.