Function in terms of its partial derivatives

I'll let you do it. You'll find that, in fact, u is not an explicit function x, y, z but x, y, z are implicit functions of u.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of total differential and its use in reconstructing functions using partial derivatives. It also touches on the requirement of separability and the use of implicit functions in solving for u.
bhatiaharsh
Hi,

I remember having read in basic calculus that the following is true, but I don't know what this property is called and am having a hard time finding a reference to this.
[tex]d u(x,y) = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} dy[/tex]
Ques: Is this true ? Is this true for all functions? Or is there a condition that the function u should be separable ?

I also think that if this is true, then I should be able to reconstruct the function u by taking the anti-derivative of the above equation:
[tex]\int d u(x,y) = \int \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} dx + \int \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} dy[/tex]
However, this fails when
[tex]u(x,y) = x^2y^2[/tex]
Am I missing something here ? If the above holds only for separable functions, is there a way I can reconstruct a function from its partial derivatives ?

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
bhatiaharsh said:
Hi,

I remember having read in basic calculus that the following is true, but I don't know what this property is called and am having a hard time finding a reference to this.
[tex]d u(x,y) = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} dy[/tex]
Ques: Is this true ? Is this true for all functions? Or is there a condition that the function u should be separable ?

I also think that if this is true, then I should be able to reconstruct the function u by taking the anti-derivative of the above equation:
[tex]\int d u(x,y) = \int \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} dx + \int \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} dy[/tex]
However, this fails when
[tex]u(x,y) = x^2y^2[/tex]
Am I missing something here ? If the above holds only for separable functions, is there a way I can reconstruct a function from its partial derivatives ?

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Hello bhatiaharsh and welcome to the forums.

The first expression you listed is known as the total differential. Take a look at this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_derivative

In terms of your integral expression, you need some sort of separation of variables: i.e. the term in the integral has to be in an explicit form and not implicit.

This is not just a property for these kinds of problems, it is a general requirement for calculating integral expressions. If there is an implicit connection to the different variables then you need to transform it into an explicit expression in terms of the variables you are dealing with in terms of the actual integration.

One way of doing this is to find a correct parameterization of the system if that is possible. This can be very very ugly, but it can be a good way to attack this problem if the implicit form of the representation (function whether it describes a line/curve, surface, volume etc) is not easy to separate.

Thanks for the pointer chiro. I followed on the link you gave and reached exact differential equations. Hopefully learning about that should give me a more clear understanding. But I can already see how separability can be an issue.

So, if I know [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x},\frac{\partial u}{\partial y},\frac{\partial u}{\partial z}[/itex] can someone help me how can I find [itex]u[/itex] ? Any pointers are appreciated.

If you have the partial derivatives of u, finding u is easy, assuming that all the partials lead to the same u. Take [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex] for example. Partial integration shows:

[tex]\int \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \partial x = f(x,y,z) + C(y,z)[/tex]

where C(y,z) is an arbitrary function that's constant with respect to x. Repeating this with [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial z}[/itex] will give you three functions as shown:

[tex]f(x,y,z) + C_1(y,z)[/tex]

[tex]g(x,y,z) + C_2(x,z)[/tex]

[tex]h(x,y,z) + C_3(x,y)[/tex]

And setting all three of those equal to each other will allow you to figure out what the three Constant functions are. All three of those are equal to u(x,y,z). A simple example with u_x = 2 x y^2 z^2, u_y = 2 x^2 y z^2, u_z = 2 x^2 y^2 z:

[tex]\int 2 x y^2 z^2 dx = x^2 y^2 z^2 + C_1(y,z)[/tex]

[tex]\int 2 x^2 y z^2 dy = x^2 y^2 z^2 + C_2(x,z)[/tex]

[tex]\int 2 x^2 y^2 z dz = x^2 y^2 z^2 + C_3(x,y)[/tex]

Since all three of those are equal to each other, we get [itex]C_1 = C_2 = C_3[/itex] and it's relatively easy to prove that the only function that could fit that profile (it can't be a function of x, because of [itex]C_1[/itex], and symmetry arguments show it can't be a function of y and z either) is the constant function C. So we get that [itex]u = x^2 y^2 z^2 + C[/itex]. With an initial value of u, we could get C as well.

Last edited:
Well, isn't the no of unknowns greater than the no of equations ?
[tex]u = f_1 + c_1[/tex]
[tex]u = g_1 + c_2[/tex]
[tex]u = h_1 + c_3[/tex]
There are 4 unknowns and 3 equations.

Last edited:
No. f1, f2, and f3 are all related to u. They are not independent.

I would have done the problem Char. Limit posed a little differently.

From [itex]u_x= 2xy^2z^2[/itex] we get [itex]u= x^2y^2z^2+ f(y,z)[/itex]
(since the partial derivative with respect to x treats y and z a constants, the "constant" of integration may be a function of y and z)

Now differentiate that with respect to y: [itex]u_y= 2x^2yz^2+ f_y[/itex].
Comparing that to the given [itex]u_y= 2x^2yz^2[/itex] we see that we must have f_y= 0. That means that f is not a function of y but a function of z only. But then differentiating [itex]u= x^2y^2z^2+ f(z)[/itex] with respect to z we get [itex]u_z= 2x^2y^2z+ f_z[/itex] and comparing that to the given equation, we have [itex]f_x= 0[/itex] so that f is, in fact, a constant.

The problem would be a little more interesting if it were [itex]u_x= 2xy^2z^2[/itex], [itex]u_y= 2x^2yz^2+ 4y[/itex], [itex]u_z= 2x^2y^2z+ e^z[/itex]. Try solving those for u.

Related to Function in terms of its partial derivatives

1. What is the concept of a function in terms of its partial derivatives?

The concept of a function in terms of its partial derivatives involves breaking down a multivariable function into its component parts, with each partial derivative representing the rate of change of the function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant.

2. How do partial derivatives help in understanding the behavior of a function?

Partial derivatives provide insight into how a function changes in response to changes in its input variables. This understanding can be used to optimize the function or predict its behavior in different scenarios.

3. Can a function have multiple partial derivatives?

Yes, a function can have multiple partial derivatives, one for each of its input variables. This allows for a more detailed understanding of how the function changes in response to changes in each variable.

4. How are partial derivatives related to total derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a special case of total derivatives, where only one input variable is allowed to change while the others are held constant. Total derivatives, on the other hand, consider changes in all input variables simultaneously.

5. What is the notation used to represent partial derivatives?

The notation used to represent partial derivatives is ∂ (pronounced "partial") followed by the variable with respect to which the derivative is being taken. For example, ∂f/∂x represents the partial derivative of the function f with respect to the variable x.