Functional equation f(x)^n f(a - x) = 1

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving finding a function that satisfies a functional relation for n = 1 and n ≠ 1. The speaker believes they have proven that f(x) = x/(a-x) satisfies the relation for n = 1, but is struggling to find a solution for n ≠ 1. They mention using a Taylor expansion and potentially a Laurent expansion to find a solution, but are unsure of how to incorporate the boundary condition of f(0) = 0. The other speaker suggests using an antisymmetric Φ function and allowing it to approach -infinity in order to satisfy the boundary condition.
Jonas Hall
Hi,

In a problem I have been working on for a while now I have found that I want to find the function satisfying the functional relation

f(x)n f(a - x) = 1

for n = 1 I believe I have proven that f(x) = x/(a - x). On this page is an answer I do not quite understand. One of the prerequisits for f(x) in my problem was that f(0) = 0, f(a/2) = 1 and f(a) = ∞. I have difficulties seeing that the answer provided will satisfy f(0) = 0.

Apart from this, I have made no progress what so ever in adressing the case where n ≠ 1. In particular I have failed to find solutions for when n = 2.

The problem is this: I want to make a scale mapping where f(x) represents the value and x represents the position of the scale such that the graph of 1/xn is a straight line from positions (0, a) through ((a/2, a/2) to (a, 0), representing the values (0, ∞) through (1, 1) to (∞, 0).

How can I go about finding f(x) for n ≠ 1?

Oh, and I don't have any problem with not getting to solve it myself - I you know the answer, please just tell me!

Likes DuckAmuck
Mathematics news on Phys.org
For ##n=1## the general solution is of the form ## e^{\Phi(x,a-x)}## where ##\Phi## is antisymmetric so ##f(x)f(a-x)=e^{\Phi(x,a-x)+\Phi(a-x,x)}=e^{\Phi(x,a-x)-\Phi(x,a-x)}=1##, so your equation is satisfied. After it specify the solution in the case where ##\Phi(x,a-x)=C(2x-a)##. For ##n=2## I don't see other solutions than ##f(x)=1## ...

You can assume that ##f## admits a Taylor expansion of the form ##f(x)=a_ {0}+a_{1}x+ a_{2}x^2+...## you can put this into your equation and use a math program in order to find relations with coefficients ... You will obtain an infinite system of equations to solve ...

f(x) = 1 does not satisty f(0) = 0. Nor does any exponential solution... Your suggestion with taylor expansions seem interesting though, I will attempt it when I have some more time.

ok, before I spoke about the problem in general I didn't consider the boundary condition. So in this case the exponential is not your solution ... If you want this condition you can search directly a Taylor (or better Laurent (with negative exponents)) expansion of this kind ##f(x)=a_{1}x+a_{2}x^{2}+\cdots ##

I would try a Laurent expansion around x=a. We know f(0)=0 so there Taylor and Laurent would be identical. This could limit the function too much.

The approach with an antisymmetric Φ should still work, if you let Φ go to -infinity if its first argument goes to zero.

Likes Ssnow

1. What is a functional equation?

A functional equation is an equation that involves a function and its arguments. It is used to find the relationship between different values of a function and can be solved by manipulating the equation using algebraic or analytical methods.

2. What is the meaning of "f(x)^n" in the given equation?

The expression "f(x)^n" means the function f(x) raised to the power of n. This indicates that the function is being applied to itself n times.

3. How does a functional equation differ from a regular algebraic equation?

In a regular algebraic equation, the variable is a number, while in a functional equation, the variable is a function. This means that the solution to a functional equation is a function rather than a numerical value.

4. What is the significance of the constant 1 on the right side of the equation?

The constant 1 on the right side of the equation indicates that the product of the two functions, f(x)^n and f(a-x), is equal to 1. This can be interpreted as the two functions being inverses of each other.

5. How is the given functional equation used in scientific research?

The given functional equation can be used to model and solve various real-world problems in fields such as physics, biology, and economics. For example, it can be used to study the relationship between two variables that are dependent on each other, or to analyze complex systems and their behavior.