Functor between the category of Hilbert Space and the category of sets

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding a well-defined functor from the category of Hilbert spaces to the category of sets. While there is a natural mapping from Hilbert spaces to sets, this does not define a functor as it does not preserve the structure of the spaces. The example of Lie algebras further illustrates the difference between a mapping and a functor.
snypehype46
I have a question that is related to categories and physics. I was reading this paper by John Baez in which he describes a TQFT as a functor from the category nCob (n-dimensional cobordisms) to Vector spaces. https://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0404040.pdf.
At the beginning of the paper @john baez mentions this
1615847824671.png

Now I am familiar with (very) basic category theory and quantum mechanics, but could someone expand on what exactly is meant by the fact there is not a well defined functor from the category of hilbert spaces and the category of sets?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A functor is a set of rules of how to associate objects and arrows between them to objects and arrows in the target category. Given a Hilbert space ##H##, there is some set of states extracted from it, call it ##X_H##. So the natural candidate is to put ##H\mapsto X_H##. The problem is, as I understand it, we don't know what sort of map we associate with an arrow ##H\to H'## in ##\mathrm{Hilb}## such that the correspondence would be functorial (i.e well behaved).

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think I understand that is what's intended. My question is more: why is it not possible to find such a functor?

snypehype46 said:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think I understand that is what's intended. My question is more: why is it not possible to find such a functor?
We always have the forgetful functor from any category to the category of sets: ##\mathcal{F}:\mathcal{H}\longrightarrow \mathcal{S}## which simply "forgets" the structure, here the structure of the Hilbert spaces. Now the problem described above is a different one: We have some mapping ##\mathbf{F}:\mathcal{H}\longrightarrow \mathcal{S}## given by the mapping to the set of unit vectors, however, this does not define a functor. A functor should preserve subsets, quotients, i.e. mappings in general:
$$
\varphi : {H}_1\longrightarrow {H}_2 \Longrightarrow \mathcal{F}(\varphi ): \mathcal{F}({H}_i) \longrightarrow \mathcal{F}({H}_j)
$$
with ##(i,j)=(1,2)## for covariant functors ##\mathcal{F}## and ##(i,j)=(2,1)## for contravariant functors ##\mathcal{F}.## In short: A functor maps objects to objects and arrows to arrows between those objects. The forgetful (covariant) functor does this: if we have a map between Hilbert spaces, then we get the same map between the underlying sets, without bothering linearity or any other structure.
If a mapping between categories does not relate the mappings between the two categories, then it is no functor. A relationship only between objects does not count.

An example:
Given the category of Lie Algebras ##\mathcal{G}##. Then $$\mathfrak{A(g)}=\{\alpha:\mathfrak{g}\longrightarrow \mathfrak{g}\, : \,[\alpha (X),Y]+[X,\alpha (Y)]=0 \}$$ for a Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{g}## defines another Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{A(g)}##. Hence
$$
\mathfrak{A}(.)\, : \,\mathcal{G}\longrightarrow \mathcal{G}
$$
is a mapping between the objects of two categories (which are the same in this case). But it is not a functor. E.g. consider the inclusion map ##\iota\, : \,\mathfrak{h}\stackrel{\subseteq }{\longrightarrow }\mathfrak{g}## between two Lie algebras. Then there is no natural way to give ##\mathfrak{A}(\iota)## a meaning, since ##\mathfrak{A(h)}## and ##\mathfrak{A(g)}## must no longer be included or otherwise related.

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby

1. What is a functor?

A functor is a mathematical concept that describes a relationship between two categories. It maps objects and morphisms from one category to another in a way that preserves the structure and relationships between them.

2. What is the category of Hilbert Space?

The category of Hilbert Space is a mathematical category that contains objects representing infinite-dimensional vector spaces, called Hilbert spaces, and morphisms representing linear transformations between these spaces. It is commonly used in functional analysis and quantum mechanics.

3. What is the category of sets?

The category of sets is a mathematical category that contains objects representing sets and morphisms representing functions between these sets. It is a fundamental category in mathematics and is used to study the properties and relationships of sets.

4. How does a functor between the category of Hilbert Space and the category of sets work?

A functor between these two categories maps Hilbert spaces to sets and linear transformations to functions in a way that preserves the structure and relationships between them. This means that if two objects in the category of Hilbert Space are isomorphic, their corresponding sets in the category of sets will also be isomorphic.

5. What are some applications of functors between the category of Hilbert Space and the category of sets?

Functors between these two categories have various applications in mathematics and physics. They can be used to study the properties of Hilbert spaces and sets, as well as to understand the relationship between functional analysis and set theory. They are also important in quantum mechanics, where they are used to describe the behavior of quantum states and operators.