Fundamental and harmonics of a square wave

In summary, the fundamental frequency for a square wave is the first harmonic, and the relationship between two frequencies represent the ratio of harmonics. Using this knowledge, I created a proportion of 98kHz/126kHz and found that it equaled 7/9, so the 98kHz part was the 7th harmonic and that the 126 kHz was the 9th harmonic. Then I created a ratio of the frequency and the harmonic, finding that 14kHz was correct for both trials. However, I do not think that this is correct because it is such a small number compared to the other frequencies.
lcr2139

Homework Statement

Measurements taken of a square-wave signal using a frequency-selective voltmeter (called a spectrum analyzer) show its spectrum to contain adjacent components (spectral lines) at 98kHz and 126kHz of amplitudes 63mV and 49mV, respectively. For this signal, what would direct measurement of the fundamental show its frequency and amplitude to be? What is the rms value of the fundamental? What are the peak-to-peak amplitude and period of the originating square wave?

Homework Equations

none given, and only proportions used so far.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the fundamental frequency is the first harmonic, and that the relationship between two frequencies represent the ratio of harmonics. Using this knowledge, I created a proportion of 98kHz/126kHz and found that it equaled 7/9, so the 98kHz part was the 7th harmonic and that the 126 kHz was the 9th harmonic. Then I created a ratio of the frequency and the harmonic, finding that 14kHz was correct for both trials. However, I do not think that this is correct because it is such a small number compared to the other frequencies. I tried the same thing with the amplitudes, but they failed. I do not understand what the rms value of the fundamental means- is it the frequency? amplitude? How do you find the originating wave if you do know know what harmonic the original wave is?

Physics news on Phys.org
lcr2139 said:
I know that the fundamental frequency is the first harmonic, and that the relationship between two frequencies represent the ratio of harmonics. Using this knowledge, I created a proportion of 98kHz/126kHz and found that it equaled 7/9, so the 98kHz part was the 7th harmonic and that the 126 kHz was the 9th harmonic. Then I created a ratio of the frequency and the harmonic, finding that 14kHz was correct for both trials. However, I do not think that this is correct because it is such a small number compared to the other frequencies.
It should be that much smaller. I think 14 kHz is correct. But you actually shouldn't have to do any math if you have the spectrum analyzer in front of you. The fundamental for a square wave should have the largest amplitude of any harmonic and should be the lowest frequency with any significant amplitude. It would be the lowest frequency "spike" on the magnitude plot.
lcr2139 said:
I do not understand what the rms value of the fundamental means- is it the frequency? amplitude?
In this case RMS is related to amplitude. Doing an internet search for "RMS" or "root mean square" may be worth your time. Any harmonic is itself essentially a sine wave, and there is a constant conversion factor to convert from peak amplitude to RMS amplitude for a sine wave.

Last edited:
Thank you very much! This helped a lot.

1. What is a square wave?

A square wave is a type of periodic waveform that alternates between two levels, typically a high and low voltage. It has a distinct square shape on a graph, hence the name.

2. What are the fundamental and harmonics of a square wave?

The fundamental of a square wave is the lowest frequency component of the waveform, and it is the one that has the most influence on its overall shape. Harmonics are multiples of the fundamental frequency that make up the rest of the waveform.

3. How are the fundamental and harmonics of a square wave related?

The fundamental frequency is always equal to the first harmonic, and each subsequent harmonic is an integer multiple of the fundamental. So if the fundamental frequency is 100 Hz, the second harmonic will be 200 Hz, the third will be 300 Hz, and so on.

4. What is the significance of the harmonics in a square wave?

The harmonics play a crucial role in shaping the overall sound of a square wave. They determine the richness and complexity of the waveform, and can greatly affect the quality of audio produced by electronic devices.

5. How are square waves used in science and technology?

Square waves have many practical applications in science and technology, particularly in electronics and signal processing. They are commonly used in digital circuits, audio and video equipment, and telecommunications systems. They also have applications in physics, such as in the study of wave interference and resonance.