Fundamental Physics Prize - $27 million awarded

In summary: Prize, good bye million dollar,In summary, the Milner Foundation has awarded nine Fundamental Physics Prizes worth a total of US$27 million. The inaugural recipients are Nima Arkani-Hamed, Alan Guth, Alexei Kitaev, Maxim Kontsevich, Andrei Linde, Juan Maldacena, Nathan Seiberg, and Ashoke Sen.
Devils
Who said is there any money in Physics?

http://fundamentalphysicsprize.org/news.html
New annual US$3 million Fundamental Physics Prize recognizes transformative advances in the field
Inaugural nine recipients of the Prize receive US$27 million in aggregate, all of whom agree to form a Selection Committee to award future prizes

In its inaugural year, the Milner Foundation has awarded nine Fundamental Physics Prizes and the recipients are:

Nima Arkani-Hamed
Alan Guth
Alexei Kitaev
Maxim Kontsevich
Andrei Linde
Juan Maldacena
Nathan Seiberg
Ashoke Sen
Edward Witten

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting.

Haha, one condensed matter-esque guy! At least they didn't totally ignore those of us doing "applied physics"!

Physics Monkey said:
Haha, one condensed matter-esque guy! At least they didn't totally ignore those of us doing "applied physics"!

But they did ignore those of us doing "applied wikipedia". :frown:

Drakkith said:
But they did ignore those of us doing "applied wikipedia". :frown:

Bummer :cry:

Devils said:
Who said is there any money in Physics?

http://fundamentalphysicsprize.org/news.html
New annual US$3 million Fundamental Physics Prize recognizes transformative advances in the field
Inaugural nine recipients of the Prize receive US$27 million in aggregate, all of whom agree to form a Selection Committee to award future prizes

In its inaugural year, the Milner Foundation has awarded nine Fundamental Physics Prizes and the recipients are:

Nima Arkani-Hamed
Alan Guth
Alexei Kitaev
Maxim Kontsevich
Andrei Linde
Juan Maldacena
Nathan Seiberg
Ashoke Sen
Edward Witten

The "new horizons" prize is still a great perspective for some of us... not for amateurs, I guess, but anyway a good initiative. Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that how this money is being handled in a way which is likely to not give meaningful productive results. These guys are well funded already. For example Witten has got a few million of grants, but it didn't improve his productivity compared to when he didn't have that much. Outside this specific set of listed people, Erik Verlinde, for example, had its production almost down to 0 after he got 5 million in grants.

Maybe these prizes could have specific set of rules, like setting up small scale "Manhattan projects", to intensively study a project by arranging working group in a facility.

Devils said:
all of whom agree to form a Selection Committee to award future prizes
Wow, I was just thinking about, let's see, how to apply Seiberg-Witten invariants to topological computation as performed by tachyon condensation in an inflationary universe that's an uplift of an AdS/CFT duality. Also I was going to use motivic integration. And twistors. What a coincidence. I guess I should apply!

mitchell porter said:
Wow, I was just thinking about, let's see, how to apply Seiberg-Witten invariants to topological computation as performed by tachyon condensation in an inflationary universe that's an uplift of an AdS/CFT duality. Also I was going to use motivic integration. And twistors. What a coincidence. I guess I should apply!

I agree that you should try to publish :approve:

Great !

String +String... +String.good bye Nobel

1. What is the Fundamental Physics Prize?

The Fundamental Physics Prize is an annual award given to recognize groundbreaking achievements in the field of fundamental physics. It was founded in 2012 by Russian billionaire Yuri Milner and is considered one of the most prestigious awards in physics.

2. How much is the prize money for the Fundamental Physics Prize?

The prize money for the Fundamental Physics Prize is $27 million, making it one of the largest academic prizes in the world. It is currently the most lucrative prize in physics, surpassing the Nobel Prize which is typically around $1 million.

3. Who is eligible to receive the Fundamental Physics Prize?

Anyone who has made a significant contribution to the field of fundamental physics is eligible to receive the Fundamental Physics Prize. This includes scientists, researchers, and theorists from all over the world.

4. What is the selection process for the Fundamental Physics Prize?

The selection process for the Fundamental Physics Prize is unique in that it is not based on nominations or applications. Instead, a selection committee of previous prize winners and other renowned physicists choose the recipients based on their achievements and potential for future contributions to the field.

5. How does the Fundamental Physics Prize differ from the Nobel Prize?

The Fundamental Physics Prize differs from the Nobel Prize in a few key ways. Firstly, it is not limited to one recipient per year and can be awarded to multiple individuals or teams. Secondly, the prize money is significantly higher than the Nobel Prize. Additionally, the selection process for the Fundamental Physics Prize is different as it does not rely on nominations or categories.