Fundamental Theorem of Algebra Limit Proof

If an is positive, then the expression goes to infinity as x goes to infinity. If an is negative, then the expression goes to negative infinity.In summary, the limit of anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x1 + a0 as x goes to infinity equals infinity when n is odd and n > 0, and the coefficient of the highest-degree term an is positive. Otherwise, the limit goes to negative infinity.
harrietstowe

Homework Statement

prove that the limit of anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x1 + a0 as x goes to infinity equals infinity

** I forgot to mention that n is an odd number and this is for n>0 otherwise yes your counter example would be correct**
Thanks for the quick responses by the way
Otherwise, that is all the information given

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried pulling xn out and factoring and I see how some of the terms inside the parenthesis would go to zero but I was ending up with infinity * 0 which doesn't exist.
Thank You

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
harrietstowe said:
I tried pulling xn out and factoring and I see how some of the terms inside the parenthesis would go to zero but I was ending up with infinity * 0 which doesn't exist.

You might want to post your result. The leading term of your expression (inside the parentheses) should be finite.

harrietstowe said:

Homework Statement

prove that the limit of anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x1 + a0 as x goes to infinity equals infinity
As stated, this is not true. Here's a counterexample:
[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} -2x^2 + 3x + 5 = -\infty[/tex]

Have you omitted some of the information in this problem?
harrietstowe said:

Homework Equations

Thank You

Here's another counterexample, with n > 0 and n odd.

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} -2x^3 + 3x + 5 = -\infty[/tex]

The behavior for large and positive x is controlled by the sign of an, the coefficient of the highest-degree term.

Related to Fundamental Theorem of Algebra Limit Proof

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra Limit Proof?

The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra Limit Proof is a mathematical theorem that states that every non-constant polynomial equation with complex coefficients has at least one complex root. This means that for any polynomial equation of degree n, there are n complex solutions.

2. How is the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra Limit Proof used?

The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra Limit Proof is used in various fields of mathematics, such as complex analysis, abstract algebra, and number theory. It is also used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving polynomial equations.

3. What is the history of the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra Limit Proof?

The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra was first stated by Carl Friedrich Gauss in 1799, but it was not rigorously proved until 1821 by Augustin-Louis Cauchy. Over the years, the proof has been refined and extended by various mathematicians, including Pierre-Simon Laplace and Bernhard Riemann.

4. Are there any limitations to the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra Limit Proof?

While the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra is a powerful tool in mathematics, it does have limitations. It only applies to polynomials with complex coefficients, and it does not provide an explicit method for finding the roots of a polynomial equation. It also does not guarantee that all roots will be distinct.

5. Can the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra Limit Proof be extended to other types of equations?

The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra is specific to polynomial equations, but there are similar theorems that apply to other types of equations. For example, the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra Limit Proof can be extended to power series and rational functions. However, it cannot be extended to transcendental equations or equations with transcendental coefficients.