Funded master's programs in Germany

In summary, a student discusses the possibility of pursuing a master's degree in Germany with a professor who has connections in the country. They question if master's programs are funded, and if it's possible to get a stipend or TA position. The professor suggests getting in contact with them for a paid position now that could lead to a PhD opportunity in the future. It is also mentioned that it is not uncommon to do a PhD and master's at the same time in Germany. The conversation ends with the clarification that being a PhD student in Germany is technically a scientific employee contract, and registering as a PhD student is not required.
johnqwertyful
I'm graduating with a bachelors soon, and was talking to a professor about grad school and he wanted to get me into one in Germany. He has a colleague doing what I want to do who has some positions available. The only thing is he was saying in America it goes bachelors->PhD, sometimes with a detour for masters. In Germany it goes bachelors->masters->PhD. At the university he was telling me about, I looked and it said Masters programs were (basically) free. I know PhDs are funded. But are masters funded at all? Could I TA?

I don't really have the resources to move to another country if it's not funded. I know it's free, but I don't really have the money to live. I don't really want to go to another country if I could go somewhere here and get a stipend. Is it possible to get a stipend for a master's in Germany?

Physics news on Phys.org
I had never heard of a master's program where you get funding. Doing teaching for pocket money is possible but may be a problem if you don't speak German: The English-speaking courses tend to be taken by ("created for" may actually describe the situation better) non-German speaking PhD students or post-docs. Also, the TA salary alone will not suffice to make a living. There are a variety of stipends given out by a variety of groups, including companies, political parties, churches and the state. Apart from that I do not know how many of them would give a stipend to a non-German who just moved to Germany the other main problem is that one usually does not know about them.

If the sole reason going to Germany to do a masters is that someone has open PhD positions now then I would not recommend doing so: How do you know there will be open PhD positions in two years? My recommendation would be to get into the contact with the professor in question and ask him if he can already give you a paid position now to start with potential PhD work alongside doing your master's. If he/she really looks for good people and you are a promising candidate then that seems like a win-win situation. Such cases are not unheard of.

That's what my advisor was saying. My advisor really really likes me, told me he was going to put in a very good word (the professor is his friend so a good word from him means a lot, plus my advisor has a ton of concrete evidence for me being a good candidate) and put us in contact. My advisor was talking about seeing if his friend could offer me a paid position.

So it's not unheard of to do both a PhD and masters at the same time?

No, it's not unheard of. I realized it this morning after posting: You are probably having the wrong perspective on the issue (as did I when first responding, because I was influenced by your question).

Technically, you are not paid as a PhD student. Strictly speaking, you have a contract as a scientific employee of the university. Registering as a PhD student is not required for this (*). It is definitely possible to be employed as a scientific assistant with only a bachelor's in other research institutes that have the same contract laws as universities (public service). The salary may be a bit lower, but still enough to make a decent living. That of course doesn't rule out the chance that the university administration sais "no" for some reason. But I see no reason to.

(*) And having a contract with the university is not required to register as a PhD student, either. That case is in fact quite common for a variety of reasons.

I would highly recommend exploring the opportunity to pursue a master's degree in Germany. Germany has a strong reputation for its academic programs, particularly in the STEM fields, and a master's degree from a German university can open up many opportunities for your future career.

In terms of funding, it is important to note that the cost of living in Germany is generally lower compared to other countries, so even if the master's program is not fully funded, you may still be able to manage your expenses with a part-time job or other sources of income. Additionally, many universities in Germany offer scholarships and financial aid options for international students, so it is worth looking into those options as well.

Furthermore, it is common for master's students in Germany to work as teaching or research assistants, which can provide a stipend or salary to cover living expenses. This can also be a valuable opportunity to gain practical experience in your field and build connections with professors and researchers.

Ultimately, I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with your professor and their colleague in Germany, as they may have more specific information and resources available to help you make an informed decision. Pursuing a master's degree in Germany can be a valuable and rewarding experience, and I wish you all the best in your academic journey.

1. What are the eligibility criteria for funded master's programs in Germany?

The eligibility criteria for funded master's programs in Germany vary depending on the specific program and university. Generally, applicants must have a bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification, meet the academic requirements set by the university, and demonstrate proficiency in the language of instruction (usually German or English). Some programs may also have specific requirements related to work experience or research experience.

2. How can I find a funded master's program in Germany?

There are several ways to find funded master's programs in Germany. You can search for scholarship opportunities through the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) website, which offers funding for international students. You can also check the websites of individual universities in Germany for information on their master's programs and funding options. Additionally, some third-party organizations and foundations may offer scholarships for international students to study in Germany.

3. Is it difficult to get funding for a master's program in Germany?

The competition for funding for master's programs in Germany can be high, as there are many international students who are interested in studying in Germany. However, if you have a strong academic record and meet the eligibility criteria for the program and funding opportunities, you have a good chance of receiving funding. It is important to carefully research and apply to multiple funding opportunities to increase your chances of receiving funding.

4. Are there any specific requirements for international students to receive funding for master's programs in Germany?

The requirements for international students to receive funding for master's programs in Germany may vary depending on the specific program and funding source. However, in general, international students must have a valid passport and visa, meet the academic and language requirements for the program and funding, and demonstrate financial need. Some funding opportunities may also have specific requirements related to the student's country of origin or field of study.

5. Can I work while studying in a funded master's program in Germany?

International students are allowed to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) while studying in a funded master's program in Germany. However, it is important to check with your university and visa requirements to ensure that you are not violating any regulations. Some funding opportunities may also have restrictions on working while receiving funding, so it is important to carefully review the terms and conditions of your funding before taking on employment.