Future of Energy: Nuclear Power in Space?

In summary: It could be profitable in years to come and especially if there is a fire under it.In summary, there are many reasons to explore space, but nuclear engineering in space does not have a lot of attention in research. The energy cost and economic cost of getting a probe to Mars is huge, and there is no way to make it profitable.
Square1
I've just been thinking lately about reasons to explore space, and Mars in particular, and what could be the most immediate applications of doing so. Putting nuclear power plants on Mars was something I was thinking about. We don't want the hazards of these things on Earth, but we are looking for alternative fuel sources. So why not put these things on another planet, refine it to a safer product, and bring it back here.

I'm sure it's been thought of before but I am wondering, among all the reasons for exploring space, does this have significant weight in the matter? Is there research done in nuclear engineering - in space? Or are these ideas so far away that it doesn't have a place anywhere but in talking.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Square1 said:
... So why not put these things on another planet, refine it to a safer product, and bring it back here.
Refine what into what? You usually want the reactor grade fuel to be, you know, where the reactor is...

I meant refine in a very general sense like from source to electricity. Probably wrong word to use I guess.

Ah ok. Consider cost vs benefit though. For the foreseeable future, the interplanetary transport of goods (when we actually get around to it) is probably going to be expensive, extremely expensive. You're going to be hard pressed to find a way to mark up the benefits to make it worthwhile.

Our current energy storage systems are also pretty terrible, with regards to both energy density and specific energy, for what you're suggesting.

In other words nuclear engineering in space (do it there, make batteries, bring em back for example) doesn't have a shred of attention in any research since it IS so far from becoming worthwhile?

I'm no expert, but I seriously doubt it - there's no economic basis for it.

Have you considered the energy return on energy invested (EROI) as well as the ROI here? The energy cost for getting a probe to Mars massing a few hundred kilos is huge, as is the economic cost. How much do you think a nuclear power station masses? Let alone how much the automation costs would be and how much regular return trips to bring back these magic batteries would be. This venture is senseless I'm afraid.

For a fraction of the price you could fund public education to a much higher degree and invest in next generation reactors that are a lot safer.

Im not doubting it's costs atm. I should say though that I AM contemplating a hypothetical scenario...a sci fi scenario I bet some would love to say...What if 200 years from now we may end up depleting the planet of resources and we are strapped for somehow getting our energy needs and people are scared by having the globe sprinkled with nuclear reactors everywhere. Even today, there are many corporations and groups of people that are incomprehensibly wealthy. If the world were to be held by the balls to figure out such an energy crisis in years to come, I don't think it would be hard to mobilize the funding if joint efforts were made. Obviously this would not be a non-for profit thing for government agencies. And that's another point. There would be fat energy royalties on this activity unlike the space programs today.

This is probably more off-science-topic now but oh well..

I don't think you understood my post. It's not just a matter of the cost being high, it's the return being negative. There is pretty much nothing that would be cheaper (in terms of ROI) to do in space than to do somewhere on Earth.

Well I don't know when it is possible to say that its returns must be be negative. You may say why must it be positive though I suppose, and to that I say I don't know for sure either but it is a definitive rule that the price of technology goes down over time. Only houses go up :D . It could be profitable in years to come and especially if there is a fire under it..

Square1 said:
Well I don't know when it is possible to say that its returns must be be negative. You may say why must it be positive though I suppose, and to that I say I don't know for sure either but it is a definitive rule that the price of technology goes down over time. Only houses go up :D . It could be profitable in years to come and especially if there is a fire under it..
I'm not talking about price in currency only but in energy and it is certainly not definitive that over time the price of technology goes down. The narrative of progress is a strong one but don't fall totally for it.

Square1 said:
I've just been thinking lately about reasons to explore space, and Mars in particular, and what could be the most immediate applications of doing so. Putting nuclear power plants on Mars was something I was thinking about. We don't want the hazards of these things on Earth, but we are looking for alternative fuel sources. So why not put these things on another planet, refine it to a safer product, and bring it back here.

I'm sure it's been thought of before but I am wondering, among all the reasons for exploring space, does this have significant weight in the matter? Is there research done in nuclear engineering - in space? Or are these ideas so far away that it doesn't have a place anywhere but in talking.

The hazards have largely been overblown. There's only been a handful of major incidents (only 2 of which were catastrophic like Chernobyl, the rest causing little to no damage outside of the reactor complex like Three Mile Island), and generally has killed fewer people than any other powersource. Coal on the other hand is very dangerous, not just in terms of mining deaths but the pollution itself has been estimated to cause a million premature deaths worldwide every year. It would take multiple Chernobyls a day to equal that kind of death toll. More modern designs like the AP1000, EPR, and the small modular reactors are far safer than the previous generations.

Now that being said there will be nuclear power in space, but not to export back to Earth. We will use nuclear reactors to power future space stations, settlements and ships. It provides a power density that can't be matched by solar, unless you're much closer to the sun like inside the orbit of Venus.

aquitaine said:
The hazards have largely been overblown. Coal on the other hand is very dangerous, not just in terms of mining deaths but the pollution itself has been estimated to cause a million premature deaths worldwide every year. It would take multiple Chernobyls a day to equal that kind of death toll. More modern designs like the AP1000, EPR, and the small modular reactors are far safer than the previous generations.

I've all of a sudden lost all aversion towards nuclear power.

1. What is nuclear power in space?

Nuclear power in space refers to the use of nuclear energy to power spacecraft and satellites. This can involve either nuclear fission, where atoms are split to release energy, or nuclear fusion, where atoms are combined to release energy. Both processes release a large amount of energy that can be converted into electricity to power various systems on a spacecraft.

2. Why is nuclear power being considered for space exploration?

Nuclear power is being considered for space exploration because it has the potential to provide a more reliable, long-lasting, and powerful source of energy compared to traditional solar or battery-powered systems. This is especially important for missions that require a significant amount of power, such as deep space exploration or missions to other planets.

3. What are the benefits of using nuclear power in space?

The benefits of using nuclear power in space include longer mission durations, higher power output, and the ability to operate in areas with limited or no sunlight, such as deep space. It also reduces the need for large, heavy solar arrays or frequent battery replacements, making spacecraft more efficient and cost-effective.

4. What are the potential risks and challenges of using nuclear power in space?

The potential risks and challenges of using nuclear power in space include the potential for accidents or malfunctions that could release radioactive material, as well as the difficulty in safely disposing of nuclear waste in space. There are also concerns about the high cost and technical complexity of developing and maintaining nuclear-powered systems for space exploration.

5. What is being done to ensure the safety of nuclear power in space?

To ensure the safety of nuclear power in space, strict regulations and protocols are in place to prevent accidents and minimize the risk of radioactive material being released into the environment. This includes rigorous testing and safety measures during the design and construction of nuclear-powered spacecraft, as well as contingency plans in case of emergencies. Additionally, ongoing research and advancements in technology are continually being made to improve the safety and reliability of nuclear power in space.