G-forces exposed during maximum perfomance Takeoff (Heli)

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of accelerating from 0 to 260 km/h in 3 seconds in a helicopter. One person doubts that it is possible due to the expected g-forces. However, the speaker recalls a similar feeling of acceleration while flying a glider. The conversation also mentions the use of different units in aviation and the time estimates for the acceleration. The speaker also mentions observing the altitude changes on the artificial horizon during the maneuver.
Chris_L
Hello Folks

I'd like to know if anyone of you guys know how to calculate the gforces in a glider (in this case helicopter) during maximum performance acceleration? Tonight I had a very serious discousion with a relative of mine who doubt that it's possible to accelerate from 0 to 140 kts within 3 seconds. His argument was that it's unplausible due to too much g-forces. I have to admit that I counldn't seat on the "jump seat" but I could glimpse at the MFD (artificial horizon) of the "captain" during this maneuver. I could see that we climbed to aproximatly 500 fts. agl (above ground level) within 5 seconds. There after the PIC (pilot in comand) dived 30° to 35° nose down for aproximatly 3 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 140 kts (~260 kmh). Right now I'd like to know tow things. First of all why I couldn't feel any sort of acceleration at all and secondly what would be the exact formula behind it (please with detailed eplanations). To be honest it was the same feeling which I had during the acceleration in a glider. By the way my body where afected with lateral g-forces while my head has been exposed to transvesre g-forces during the last second.

I'd like to thank everyone of you in advance for your replies.

Best Wishes

Chris_L

PS.: First of all I want to say that I'm not a native English speaker and secondly due to my school system I never could take serious physics lessons so please bear with me and thirdly I don't know if this question would be either an basic or advanced question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chris_L said:
First of all I want to say that I'm not a native English speaker
Why do you use the impractical US units then?

Accelerating horizontally from 0 to 260 km/h (72 m/s) in 3 seconds would lead to an acceleration of at least ~2.5 g (vertically relative to the helicopter frame). You get a similar value for climbing to 170 meters in 5 seconds. That would certainly be notable.

Accelerating downwards (actively) would make a 2 g acceleration possible with a 1 g experience, but I guess that's not what happened.

Where do the time estimates come from?

To answer you first question. Here in Germany there is a law in aviation. As soon as the airframe has an engine we have to fly with fts and kts while flying gliders we can fly with meters and kmh. The reason why engine driven airplanes or helicopter has to fly with fts and kts is to make it even e. g. the ATC instructs the pilot during the approach phase to reduce to 210 kts and to descent to 3000ft. It would be a complete mess if the Controler had to switch between fts, meters, knots, kmh and miles.

Secondly I'm a drummer and I have the time down. So therefore I'm pretty confident that I got the time down right.

Thrid we had to climb to at least 500 fts. I could see this on the a. m. artificial horizon which has an radar altimiter which is equiped on all modern airplanes and also helicopters. During this maneuver we decended from 500 fts to aproximatly 300 fts.

1. What are G-forces and how do they affect a helicopter during takeoff?

G-forces, or gravitational forces, are the forces exerted on an object due to the Earth's gravity. During takeoff, a helicopter experiences positive G-forces, which push the aircraft and its occupants towards the ground. These forces can cause discomfort or even loss of consciousness in extreme cases.

2. How many G-forces are typically experienced during a maximum performance takeoff in a helicopter?

The number of G-forces experienced during a maximum performance takeoff can vary depending on the type of helicopter and its performance capabilities. However, it is not uncommon for a helicopter to experience 1.5-2 Gs during takeoff.

3. Can G-forces during takeoff be dangerous for the pilot and passengers?

In most cases, the G-forces experienced during a maximum performance takeoff in a helicopter are not dangerous for the pilot and passengers. However, individuals with certain health conditions or those who are not accustomed to high G-forces may experience discomfort or even loss of consciousness.

4. How do pilots prepare for the G-forces during a maximum performance takeoff?

Pilots are trained to anticipate and manage G-forces during takeoff. They undergo specialized training and practice techniques such as muscle tensing and breathing exercises to help them withstand the forces. They also wear specialized equipment, such as G-suits, to help mitigate the effects of G-forces on their bodies.

5. Are there any safety precautions taken to minimize the effects of G-forces during maximum performance takeoff?

Yes, there are several safety precautions taken to minimize the effects of G-forces during maximum performance takeoff. These include proper pilot training, use of specialized equipment, and ensuring the helicopter is properly maintained and within its weight limits. Pilots also follow specific procedures and techniques during takeoff to help mitigate the effects of G-forces on themselves and their passengers.

Back