G Magnitude to V magnitude stars in a CCD

In summary, G magnitude and V magnitude are two different ways to measure the brightness of stars using a charge-coupled device (CCD). G magnitude is based on the green light emitted by stars, while V magnitude is based on the visual light that our eyes can see. Both magnitudes are logarithmic scales, with lower numbers indicating brighter stars. G magnitude is typically more accurate for faint stars, while V magnitude is better for brighter stars. However, both measurements can be affected by atmospheric conditions and other factors.
joseamck
I have astronomical images taken using a CCD camera and telescope using a g filter. In the images I have stars with what is called instrumental magnitudes (from the photon count in each pixel). My question is if there is a way to change this g instrumental magnitude to a real V magnitude.

I have found this:
V = g - 0.03 - 0.42*(g-r)

from
Windhorst, R. W., et al. 1991, ApJ, 380, 362
and http://www.astro.umd.edu/~ssm/ASTR620/mags.html

This is telling me that I needed to have used an r filter on the same images. Is there another way to find the V magnitudes of the stars by only having images taken with a g filter?

Thank you

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not, with any precision. It would help if you told us what your background in photometry is?

does it matter what the background is if all images were taken with a g filter? I don't understand the question.

When I say "your background in photometry" I'm talking about your personal prior knowledge about the topics covered in the scientific field of photometry.

Since the two filters have different wavelength bands, the conversion will depend on the color of the object. That is why you need two different measurements with two different filters to do a conversion. You might find this paper useful. Figure 1 shows the comparison of the filter bands.

Likes 1 person
Great!

Related to G Magnitude to V magnitude stars in a CCD

1. What is the difference between G magnitude and V magnitude in stars?

G magnitude, or "Gaia magnitude," is a measure of the brightness of a star as seen through the Gaia telescope. V magnitude, or "visual magnitude," is a measure of the brightness of a star as seen by the human eye. They use different filters and scales, but both are measures of a star's apparent brightness.

2. How are G magnitude and V magnitude related in stars?

There is a mathematical relationship between G magnitude and V magnitude, known as the transformation equation. This equation takes into account the differences in filters and scales used for each magnitude, and can be used to convert between the two measurements.

3. What is the significance of using CCD in measuring G magnitude to V magnitude in stars?

A CCD, or charge-coupled device, is a type of electronic sensor used in telescopes to capture images of stars. Using a CCD allows for more accurate and precise measurements of G magnitude and V magnitude, as it eliminates the potential for human error in reading and recording the measurements.

4. Can G magnitude and V magnitude be used to determine the distance of stars?

Yes, G magnitude and V magnitude can be used in combination with other measurements to determine the distance of stars. This is known as the distance modulus formula, and it takes into account the absolute magnitude (a measure of intrinsic brightness) of a star to calculate its distance from Earth.

5. Are there any limitations to using G magnitude and V magnitude in CCD measurements of stars?

While G magnitude and V magnitude are useful tools for studying and understanding stars, they do have limitations. For example, they only measure a star's apparent brightness and not its actual size or composition. Additionally, atmospheric conditions and other factors can affect the accuracy of these measurements.