G77/mountain lion/xcode 4.6 help

• Thread starter zfisher
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of g77, which is no longer supported, in a new lab setup for students at UNC-Chapel Hill. Despite researching alternative solutions, the PI and grad students insist on using g77 for their older code. However, the user is unable to compile with g77 and receives a "no match" error. They are seeking help and guidance on how to get g77 to compile on a Mountain Lion system.
zfisher
First, let me state that I know g77 is no longer supported.

Second, I'm not a fortran developer, I'm simply trying to set up a lab for some grad students in the Geological Sciences department at UNC-CH.

I volunteered to help them set up there new lab with a brand new software image, including the following:

Mountain Lion 10.8.4
Xcode 4.6
Fink 0.35.1
gfortran 4.8.1 (downloaded from hpc.sourceforge.net)
g77 3.4.0 (also downloaded from hpc.sourceforge.net)
among others...

I can compile just fine with gfortran, but when I attempt to compile anything with g77 (even a simple hello.f) I receive the following error:

ld: warning: -macosx_version_min not specified, assuming 10.7
ld: warning: PIE disabled. Absolute addressing (perhaps -mdynamic-no-pic) not allowed in code signed PIE, but used in __start from /usr/lib/crt1.o. To fix this warning, don't compile with -mdynamic-no-pic or link with -Wl,-no_pie

I've done a fair amount a research, but most solutions are to "stop using g77". And while I agree that that would be the ideal solution, the PI and grad students are adamant they need g77 to compile some of their older code.

FWIW, if I run: g77 hello.f [-no_pie] I receive the following response:
g77: no match.

Any help would be very much appreciated. If there is another/better avenue to request support, I'd be happy to follow those recommendations as well. I can't be the only person trying to get g77 to compile on a freshly installed copy of mountain lion, right?

Thanks so much in advance,
Zachary Fisher
Systems Administrator, UNC-Chapel Hill

Technology news on Phys.org
no match??

I've neither experience with g77 nor Mountain Lion, so I might not be much help, but one thing is not clear: why do you get a g77 "no match"? What happens when you run g77 with the full path (ie, /dir/to/g77 hello.f [...])?

1. What is G77?

G77 is a compiler used for the Fortran programming language. It is commonly used for scientific and numerical computing.

2. What is a mountain lion?

A mountain lion, also known as a cougar or puma, is a large cat species found in North and South America. They are solitary and territorial animals and are known for their jumping and climbing abilities.

3. What is Xcode 4.6?

Xcode 4.6 is an integrated development environment (IDE) used for developing software for macOS, iOS, watchOS, and tvOS. It includes a code editor, debugger, and other tools for building and testing applications.

4. How can I get help with Xcode 4.6?

You can access the official documentation and tutorials for Xcode 4.6 on the Apple Developer website. Additionally, there are many online forums and communities where you can ask for help and advice from experienced users.

5. Can G77 be used with Xcode 4.6?

Yes, G77 can be used with Xcode 4.6. However, since G77 is a compiler for Fortran and Xcode is primarily used for developing applications in programming languages like Objective-C and Swift, it may require some additional configuration and setup to use G77 within Xcode.