Galois Groups .... A&F Example 47.7 .... ....

In summary, Anderson and Feil provide a definition for ##\zeta## and explain why it is equal to ##-\frac12+i\frac{\sqrt 3}2##. They also state that every positive or negative integral power of ##\zeta## lies in ##\{1,\zeta,-\zeta\}##, so that every element of ##\mathbb Q(\zeta)## can be written as ##a+b\zeta##, where ##a,b\in\mathbb Q##. This allows a basis for ##\mathbb Q(\zeta)## as a vector space over ##\mathbb Q##.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Anderson and Feil - A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Ch. 47: Galois Groups... ...

I need some help with an aspect of the Example 47.7 ...

Example 47.7 and its proof read as follows:
?temp_hash=e93975e84859680939c75229187ec6ed.png

In the above example, Anderson and Feil write the following:

"... ... We note that ##[ \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt[3]{2} ) : \mathbb{Q} ] = 3## and ##[ \mathbb{Q} ( \zeta ) : \mathbb{Q} ] = 2##. ... ... "
Can someone please explain to me how/why ##[ \mathbb{Q} ( \zeta ) : \mathbb{Q} ] = 2## ... ... ?

Anderson and Feil give the definition of ##\zeta## in Chapter 9 in Exercise 25 ... as follows ... :

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• A&F - 1 - Example 47.7 ... .PART 1 ... ....png
    A&F - 1 - Example 47.7 ... .PART 1 ... ....png
    25 KB · Views: 486
  • A&F - 2  - Example 47.7 ... .PART 2 ... ....png
    A&F - 2 - Example 47.7 ... .PART 2 ... ....png
    40.6 KB · Views: 677
  • A&F - Defn  of pth root of unity ... Ex 25, Ch 9 ....png
    A&F - Defn of pth root of unity ... Ex 25, Ch 9 ....png
    27 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
Can someone please explain to me how/why ##[ \mathbb{Q} ( \zeta ) : \mathbb{Q} ] = 2## ... ... ?
##\zeta=e^{2\pi/3}=-\frac12 +i\frac{\sqrt 3}2## so that ##\zeta^2=-\zeta=1/\zeta##, and ##\zeta^3=1##.

Hence every positive or negative integral power of ##\zeta## lies in ##\{1,\zeta,-\zeta\}## so that every element of ##\mathbb Q(\zeta)## can be written as ##a+b\zeta##, where ##a,b\in\mathbb Q##.

So a basis for ##\mathbb Q(\zeta)## as a vector space over ##\mathbb Q## is ##\{1,\zeta\}##, so that the dimension of the VS is 2.

Likes Math Amateur
to answer your question, ask yourself how to find the dimension of the field generated by an element. hopefully you know it means to know the degree of the irreducible polynomial satisfied by that element. If not, master that fact. then ask yourself what irreducible polynomial is satisfied by a cube root of 1. I really recommend you try a little harder to answer these questions on your own. the key is to review the meaning of the terms in the question. here the key fact is that for an element a, the field F(a) is isomorphic to the quotient F[X]/(g) where g is the unique monic irreducible polynomial in F[X] satisfied by a. Hence a basis for that vector space over F is given by 1, X,...,X^n-1, where n = degree(g). This is fundamental.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks to Andrew and mathwonk for the help and advice ... ...

Now, following the advice provided by mathwonk, my reasoning is as follows:The polynomial satisfied by a cube root of ##1## is ##x^3 - 1## ... ... but this is not irreducible in ##\mathbb{Q}## since:

##x^3 - 1 = ( x - 1 ) ( x^2 + x + 1 )##If we focus on the irreducible polynomial ##( x^2 + x + 1 )## we find that the roots of this polynomial are

##\zeta = - \frac{1}{2} + \frac{ \sqrt{3} i }{ 2}##, and ##\zeta^2 = - \frac{1}{2} - \frac{ \sqrt{3} i }{ 2}## ...... so the degree of the minimum polynomial for ##\zeta## is ##2## ...

... and therefore ##[ \mathbb{Q} ( \zeta) : \mathbb{Q} ] = 2## ...Is the above reasoning correct?

Peter

That's perfect. Now ask yourself why you did not get this on your own. Clearly you can do this sort of thing. Maybe like me you just get impatient to know the answer and lose confidence that it will come to you. Because of the advice I gave you, I myself earlier today hung in a little longer on a problem that was bugging me in elementary algebraic geometry. I wanted to look at the solution online but reminded myself I had told you that one would be better off doing it oneself. so I kept at it, and I got it! you realize of course that computing the actual solutions is superfluous once you know two facts: the polynomial X^2+X+1 is irreducible, and has degree 2. Of course knowing the roots are complex IS one way to show it is irreducible. but you could also calculate the discriminant, see it is negative and stop there. nice work!

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt and Math Amateur

1. What is a Galois group?

A Galois group is a mathematical concept in abstract algebra that is used to study the symmetries and relationships between solutions of polynomial equations.

2. How is a Galois group determined?

A Galois group is determined by taking a field extension of a given field and finding all automorphisms (isomorphisms from the field to itself) that fix the base field. These automorphisms form the elements of the Galois group.

3. What is the importance of Galois groups in mathematics?

Galois groups have many applications in mathematics, including in number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography. They also provide a powerful tool for understanding and solving polynomial equations.

4. Can you give an example of a Galois group?

One example of a Galois group is the group of automorphisms of the field of complex numbers over the field of real numbers. This group is isomorphic to the group of rotational symmetries of a regular polygon with n sides, where n is the degree of the polynomial equation being studied.

5. How does Galois theory relate to the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra?

The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra is a special case of Galois theory, where the Galois group is the trivial group (containing only the identity element). This theorem states that every non-constant polynomial equation with complex coefficients has at least one complex root. Galois theory further extends this concept to study the relationships between all possible roots of a polynomial equation.