Splitting Fields: Anderson and Feil, Theorem 45.6 ....

In summary, the proof of Theorem 45.6 and its conditions are met if ##K## is a finite algebraic extension of ##F##.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Anderson and Feil - A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Ch. 45: The Splitting Field ... ...

I need some help with an aspect of the proof of Theorem 45.6 ...

Theorem 45.6 and its proof read as follows:
?temp_hash=e4d3c679eb07bb16c3e25a7846ea7af0.png

At the start of the proof of Theorem 45.6 we read the following:

"Suppose that ##K## is a normal extension of ##F##, a field with characteristic zero. Then by Theorem 45.5, ##K = F( \alpha )##, where ##\alpha## is algebraic over ##F##. ... .. "
Can someone please explain exactly how ##K = F( \alpha )## follows in the above statement ... ?The quote mentions Anderson and Feil's Theorem 45.5 and also mentions that K is a normal extension so I am providing the statement of Theorem 45.5 and Anderson and Feil's definition of a normal extension as follows ... ...

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• A&F - Theorem 45.6 and proof ...  ....png
    A&F - Theorem 45.6 and proof ... ....png
    41.6 KB · Views: 490
  • A&F - Statement of Theorem 45.5 ... ....png
    A&F - Statement of Theorem 45.5 ... ....png
    8.9 KB · Views: 448
  • A&F - Defintion of a Normal Extension ... ....png
    A&F - Defintion of a Normal Extension ... ....png
    41 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
Gather what you have: ##F \subseteq K## a finite extension. This means ##\dim_FK =: n < \infty##.
Now what does that mean for ##\{1,a,a^2,a^3,\ldots ,a^n\}\,##, if we take an arbitrary element ##a \in K\,##?
Can you deduce from that, that the conditions for Theorem 45.5 are met?
And what does ##F \subseteq K## simple algebraic extension mean?

Thanks for the advice to "Gather what you have: ... "...

I was myopically focused on the first sentence of the proof where we are given

(i) ##K## is a normal extension of ##F##
(ii) ##F## is a field with characteristic zero

and was wondering about how to get from this to the initial conditions of Theorem 45.5 that

(i) ##F## is a field with characteristic zero
(ii) ##K## was a finite algebraic extension of ##F## BUT ... in my tunnel vision I neglected that ##K## was given as a finite extension ... sorry for such a simple oversight ...... HOWEVER ... still concerned that we need to establish that ##K## is algebraic over ##F## ... that is all elements of ##K## are algebraic over ##F## ... before applying Theorem 45..5 ...Peter

Math Amateur said:
... HOWEVER ... still concerned that we need to establish that KKK is algebraic over ##F## ... that is all elements of ##K## are algebraic over ##F## ... before applying Theorem 45..5 ...
That's why I wrote - with ##n## being the dimesion of ##K## over ##F##
fresh_42 said:
Now what does that mean for ##\{1,a,a^2,a^3,\ldots ,a^n\}\,##, if we take an arbitrary element ##a \in K\,##?
How many elements has this set? Can they be linear independent, and if not, what does that mean?

fresh_42 said:
Gather what you have: ##F \subseteq K## a finite extension. This means ##\dim_FK =: n < \infty##.
Now what does that mean for ##\{1,a,a^2,a^3,\ldots ,a^{ n - 1} \}\,##, if we take an arbitrary element ##a \in K\,##?
Can you deduce from that, that the conditions for Theorem 45.5 are met?
And what does ##F \subseteq K## simple algebraic extension mean?
Just to answer your questions ...

You write:

"Now what does that mean for ##\{1,a,a^2,a^3,\ldots ,a^n \},##, if we take an arbitrary element ##a \in K\,##?"

It means that ##\{1,a,a^2,a^3,\ldots ,a^{n - 1} \} ,## is a basis for the vector space ##K## over ##F## ... and that ##\{1,a,a^2,a^3,\ldots ,a^n \},## is a linearly dependent set ... ... is that correct?

You write:

"Can you deduce from that, that the conditions for Theorem 45.5 are met?"

... regarding conditions for Theorem 45.5 to be met ... see my previous post ...
You write:

"And what does ##F \subseteq K## simple algebraic extension mean?""Means that ##K## is of the form ##K = F( \alpha )## ...

Peter

fresh_42 said:
That's why I wrote - with ##n## being the dimesion of ##K## over ##F##

How many elements has this set? Can they be linear independent, and if not, what does that mean?
As mentioned in the previous post the set is linearly dependent ... so this means that any element of the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the others ...

Peter

Likes fresh_42
Math Amateur said:
It means that ##\{1,a,a^2,a^3,\ldots ,a^{n - 1}\}## is a basis for the vector space ##K## over ##F## ... is that correct?
I don't know. I don't care either. This would exclude e.g. all ##a \in F \subseteq K## without reason.

It means the set ##\{1,a,a^2,a^3,\ldots ,a^{n}\}## is linear dependent - in any case. Linear dependency means, we have a non trivial expression of zero: ##0 = c_0\cdot 1 + c_1\cdot a + c_2\cdot a^2 + \ldots + c_n\cdot a^n## with not all ##F \ni c_i=0##. If we define ##p(x)=c_0\cdot 1 + c_1\cdot x + c_2\cdot x^2 + \ldots + c_n\cdot x^n## we get a polynomial in ##F[x]## with ##p(a)=0## and ##a## is algebraic.

##K=F(\alpha)## for a certain ##\alpha \in K## is the result of theorem 45.5.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks for all your help fresh_42 ...

Gradually building a basic understanding of Galois theory, thanks to your support ...

Peter

1. What is a splitting field?

A splitting field is a field extension of a given field that contains all the roots of a given polynomial. In other words, it is the smallest field in which a polynomial completely factors into linear factors.

2. Who are Anderson and Feil?

Anderson and Feil are mathematicians who proved Theorem 45.6, which states that every polynomial of degree n over a field F has a splitting field that is an extension of F of degree at most n!.

3. What is the significance of Theorem 45.6?

Theorem 45.6 is important because it guarantees the existence of a splitting field for any polynomial over a field. It also provides a bound on the degree of the splitting field, which helps in understanding the structure of field extensions.

4. How is Theorem 45.6 used in mathematics?

Theorem 45.6 is used in various areas of mathematics, such as algebra, number theory, and geometry. It is particularly useful in Galois theory, which studies the symmetries of polynomial equations and their solutions.

5. Are there any other theorems related to splitting fields?

Yes, there are several other theorems related to splitting fields, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, which states that every non-constant polynomial over the complex numbers has at least one complex root. Another important theorem is the Primitive Element Theorem, which states that every finite separable extension has a primitive element, i.e. an element that generates the extension over the base field.