Galois Theory questions: Homomorphisms

In summary, we have discussed the various homomorphisms from K to C and K, as well as determining the automorphism group Aut(K/Q) and finding an element in K that is not in Q but is fixed by every element of Aut(K/Q). We have also concluded that K/Q is not Galois as it is not normal and its fixed field is larger than Q.
wattsup03
Let K = Q(2^(1/4))

a) Which of the morphisms from K to C are Q(2^1/2)-homomorphisms
b) And which are K-homomorphisms?

Attempt at a solution

Ok, I don't really understand this very well but for a) I know that there are 4 homomorphisms, since the minimal polynomial over C has four solutions and there is a bijection between the roots and the homomorphisms. What I don't understand is how I get from the number of homomorphisms to the homomorphisms themselves. If someone could explain that to me I think it would really help.

b) I can't really do b) until I know how to get the homomorphisms

I do not want to push my luck as I would be really happy if someone could give me some pointers on the previous questions, but if there was someone who didn't mind helping out a struggling student any pointers on the following would be greatly appreciated also.

c) Determine the automorphism group Aut(K/Q)
d) Find an element in K that is not in Q and that is fixed by every element of Aut(K/Q)
e) Conclude that K/Q is not Galois

Physics news on Phys.org
a) all field homomorphisms are monomorphisms. suppose φ:K→F (where K and F are fields) is a ring homomorphism.

then ker(φ) is an ideal of K (as a ring). but the only ideals K has are {0} and K. now, in a field, we insist that 0 ≠ 1, so the 0-map is not a field homomorphism. that leaves just ker(φ) = {0}, so φ must be injective.

it is not hard to see that for any field morphism of K into C, φ(1) = 1 = 1+0i. this, in turn implies φ maps Q into Q (as the subfield {q+0i, where q is a rational real}).

furthermore φ must map 21/4 to one of the four complex solutions of x4-2 in C. these are 21/4, -21/4, i21/4, -i21/4.

furthermore φ is completely determined by where it sends 21/4, so each of those 4 choices yields an injection of Q(21/4) into C.

b) now, if we require that φ:K→K, then φ(21/4) has to be in Q(21/4). of the 4 roots of x4-2, only two are in Q(21/4), namely:
21/4 and -21/4.

c) this is isomorphic to Z2, we have 2 automorphisms: the identity, and the automorphism that sends 21/4 to -21/4, which is clearly of order 2.

d) √2 will work nicely for this.

e) K is clearly algebraic over Q (and thus separable), but it is not normal. from (a) we see we have embeddings of K in C which are not automorphisms of K. equivalently, note that K has a root of x4-2 (in fact, it has 2) but x4-2 does not split over K.
and yet again, we see that the fixed field of Aut(K/Q) is larger than Q (in fact, it is Q(√2)), so K is not galois over Q.

1. What is a homomorphism in Galois Theory?

A homomorphism in Galois Theory is a function that preserves the algebraic structure between two mathematical objects. In other words, it maps one algebraic structure to another in a way that preserves operations such as addition, multiplication, and composition.

2. How is a homomorphism different from an isomorphism?

While a homomorphism preserves the algebraic structure between two objects, an isomorphism also maintains the bijective relationship between the two objects. This means that an isomorphism not only preserves operations, but also reverses them. In other words, it has an inverse function that maps back to the original object.

3. What is the significance of homomorphisms in Galois Theory?

Homomorphisms play a crucial role in studying the structure of fields and rings in Galois Theory. They allow us to understand how different algebraic objects are related to each other and how their properties are preserved under certain operations. This helps us to identify important structures and patterns in these objects.

4. Can a homomorphism be surjective and injective at the same time?

Yes, a homomorphism can be both surjective (onto) and injective (one-to-one). This means that the function maps every element in the domain to a unique element in the range, while also covering the entire range. In simpler terms, it is a bijective function.

5. How are homomorphisms used in solving Galois Theory problems?

Homomorphisms are used to establish connections between different algebraic structures, which allows us to transform a problem into one that is easier to solve. They also help us to identify important properties and relationships between these structures, which can lead to important insights and solutions.