Game of battleship logic puzzle

In summary, the Admiral's orders are to deploy a fleet consisting of 1 battleship, 2 cruisers, 3 destroyers, and 4 corvettes in a battle formation. Each ship requires a certain number of squares for deployment, with the battleship needing 4, cruiser needing 3, destroyer needing 2, and corvette needing 1. The fleet must be placed with empty sea on all adjacent squares, including corners. The numbers on the bottom row and side column indicate the number of ship parts in each row or column, with 0 indicating no parts and 3 indicating exactly 3 parts. No two ships can touch, even from the corners, and they can only be deployed horizontally or vertically
late347

Homework Statement

-Admiral, your orders are to deploy the fleet into battle formation.

-your fleet contains 1 battleship, 2 cruisers, 3 destroyers and 4 corvettes.

-battleship requires 4 squares deployment, cruiser requires 3, destroyer requires 2, and corvette requires 1

-each ship requires empty sea, on all adjacent squares to the ship, including any corner squares.

-it looks like a destroyer must be filled into the partially filled row at the bottom, because only 1 ship part must be filled into the column on the right-hand side.

-the numbers at the bottom row and the side column indicate information as follows
the number tells, how many "ship parts" are included in the according row or column.
If the number of the row, tells you 0. That fact meaans that this row cannot contain any parts of any ship.
If the number of the column tells you 3. That fact means that this column must contain exactly 3 parts of any ship/ or any ships... (the column could contain e.g. 1 cruiser OR 1 corvette + 1 destroyer)
gameofbattleship.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This was a tough puzzle to do especially be cause of the large number of squarse to be filled.
I tried this several times on paper with pencil but it seemed like I had wrong tactic in attempting to solve the problem.

This problem was one of the harder logic puzzles in our class (In my opinion). The class is now over but I thought that it was a funny math exercise so I decided to post it here and see how you guys respond to it.

It looks like the best tactic for a renewed attempt at solving is to imagine the empty squares around any ship that you are trying to fit into the puzzle at any given location. And try to fill any "obvious" ship locations first, and attempt to construct the winning battlefleet deployment from there on.

Physics news on Phys.org
my attempt at solving this inside an excel sheet.

I kind of feel bad because I was not really able to solve this problem with pen-and-paper.
I did it with excel turning and twisting the battleships and arrange
I think that using computer... I definitely felt more at ease. Because it's easier to erase wrong answers and fill in the blanks, when you attempt a new solution with the warships being deployed.pen-and-paper turns everything into a terrible mess when you erase too many times the paper...
battleship solution puzzle.jpg

Here's one tip that I was thinking about.

If you only have pen and paper and scissors. You need paper with squares in it.

1. take a page
2. colour the different size and shape warships into the page.
3. leave empty squares on the outlines of each warship
4. cut the warship pieces out with scissors.

5 try to rearrenge the pieces.

you could also cut out the backboard with maybe 10x10
draw the numbers indicating the number of ship parts after that.

Ok

I actually misrepresented that one hint sadly.

The clue should read like this: "no two ships can touch each other, not even from any corner squares" There must be at least one square between any two ships (also the cornering squares)

If you imagine that you decide to put 1 cruiser horizontally at the bottom row. That is still ok, because the cruiser still has "empty sea" beyond the 8x8 grid on the southern side of the cruiser.

-ships can be deployed either horizontally or vertically (like it is normally in the game of battleship)

no diagonally deployed ships

1. What is the objective of the game of battleship logic puzzle?

The objective of the game is to use logic and deduction to determine the locations of the hidden ships on a grid, and then sink all of the opponent's ships before they sink yours.

2. How do you play the game of battleship logic puzzle?

To play the game, each player secretly places a set number of ships on a grid, and then takes turns guessing the locations of their opponent's ships. The opponent will respond with "hit" or "miss" until all of one player's ships are sunk.

3. What skills are required to play the game of battleship logic puzzle?

The game requires strong logical thinking, deductive reasoning, and spatial awareness skills. It also involves strategic planning and the ability to make educated guesses based on previous moves.

4. Is the game of battleship logic puzzle only played on paper?

No, the game can also be played on electronic devices, such as computers or mobile phones. There are also various online versions of the game available.

5. Can the game of battleship logic puzzle be played by one person?

Yes, there are single player versions of the game available, where the player competes against a computer or tries to solve a puzzle on their own. However, the traditional version of the game is played with two players.