The closest approach of two ships

In summary, the answer is yes, intercepting means the point at which the distance between the ships is minimal.
gnits
Homework Statement
To find the closest approach of two ships
Relevant Equations
d=st
Could I please ask for help with the following question:

A destroyer moving on a breaing of 30 degrees at 50km/h observes at noon a cuiser traveling due north at 20km/h. If the destroyer overtakes the cruiser one hour later find the distance and bearing of the cruiser from the destroyer at noon.

(answer is given as 34.2km , 47 degrees)

(I am assuming that "overtaking" means the point a which the distance between the ships is minimal)

So, here's my attempt:

Let i be the unit vector in the direction of North and j be the unit vector in the direction of East.
Let position vector of detroyer = ##r_d##
Let position vector of cruiser = ##r_c##
Let position vector of destroyer relative to cruiser = ##r_{dc}##
Let the origin of my coordinate system be the position of the destroyer at noon

Let position of cruiser relative to detroyer at noon be (h,d)

Then:

##r_d=50\,sin(30)t\,i + 50\,cos(30)t\,j\,=25ti+25\sqrt{3}tj##

and

##r_c=hi+(d+20t)j##

So, as we are told that the overtaking happens at t = 1, then we know that overtaking happens at:

##r_d=25i+25\sqrt{3}j## and ##r_c=hi+(d+20)j##

Also, we know that at any time t:

##r_{dc} = (25t-h)i+(25\sqrt{3}t-20t-d)j##

And so the square of the distance between the ships at any time is given by:

##D^2=625t^2-50ht+h^2+d^2-50\sqrt{3}dt+40dt=1000\sqrt{3}t^2+2275t^2##

So distance will be a minimum when the differential of this with respect to time is 0, i.e. when:

##(4-5\sqrt(3))d-5h-(200\sqrt{3}+580)t=0##

And we are told that this occurs when t = 1 and so we have:

##\frac{(4-5\sqrt{3})d-5h}{200\sqrt{3}-580}=1##

(If I plug in the answer here of ##h = 34.2\,sin(47)## and d = ##34.2\,cos(47)## then this gives 1, which is good)

Not sure how to proceed from here to find h and d.

If I could somehow reason that the overtaking will happen when then destoyer is due south of the cruiser then I could know that here h = 25 and so solve the above equation to get d = 23.3 which would lead to the correct answer.

Thanks for any help,
Mitch.

Physics news on Phys.org
gnits said:
Homework Statement:: To find the closest approach of two ships
Relevant Equations:: d=st

Could I please ask for help with the following question:

A destroyer moving on a breaing of 30 degrees at 50km/h observes at noon a cuiser traveling due north at 20km/h. If the destroyer overtakes the cruiser one hour later find the distance and bearing of the cruiser from the destroyer at noon.

(answer is given as 34.2km , 47 degrees)

(I am assuming that "overtaking" means the point a which the distance between the ships is minimal)

So, here's my attempt:

Let i be the unit vector in the direction of North and j be the unit vector in the direction of East.
Let position vector of detroyer = ##r_d##
Let position vector of cruiser = ##r_c##
Let position vector of destroyer relative to cruiser = ##r_{dc}##
Let the origin of my coordinate system be the position of the destroyer at noon

Let position of cruiser relative to detroyer at noon be (h,d)

Then:

##r_d=50\,sin(30)t\,i + 50\,cos(30)t\,j\,=25ti+25\sqrt{3}tj##

and

##r_c=hi+(d+20t)j##

So, as we are told that the overtaking happens at t = 1, then we know that overtaking happens at:

##r_d=25i+25\sqrt{3}j## and ##r_c=hi+(d+20)j##

I would assume that by overtaking we mean the destroyer intercepts the cruiser. In which case, you nearly have the answer here.

Thanks for your reply PeroK, The question is indeed from a section on interception and within that context your assumption makes good sense, and indeed I believe it to be the intention of the question. I think the use of the word "overtakes" is confusing, it should be "intercepts". Thanks for your help, Mitch.

gnits said:
A destroyer moving on a bearing heading of 30 degrees at 50km/h observes at noon a cuiser traveling due north at 20km/h. If the destroyer overtakes the cruiser one hour later find the distance and bearing of the cruiser from the destroyer at noon.
A heading is where a ship is pointing. A bearing is the direction to something. [A "course" is slightly different from a heading -- it take current into account, but there are no currents here]

The questioner needs to brush up on navigational terminology.

Likes PeroK
jbriggs444 said:
A heading is where a ship is pointing. A bearing is the direction to something. [A "course" is slightly different from a heading -- it take current into account, but there are no currents here]

The questioner needs to brush up on navigational terminology.

I listened to the shipping forecasts on Radio 4 for years before I learned the difference between "veering" and "backing".

1. What is the closest approach of two ships?

The closest approach of two ships is the minimum distance between the two vessels when they are in close proximity to each other. It is an important measurement in maritime navigation to ensure the safety of both ships.

2. How is the closest approach of two ships calculated?

The closest approach of two ships is calculated using the ships' positions, course, and speed. It is typically determined by a ship's onboard navigation system or by a shore-based vessel traffic service.

3. Why is the closest approach of two ships important?

The closest approach of two ships is important because it helps prevent collisions between vessels. It allows ships to maintain a safe distance from each other and avoid potential hazards, such as other vessels, shallow waters, or navigational obstacles.

4. What factors can affect the closest approach of two ships?

The closest approach of two ships can be affected by various factors, such as weather conditions, visibility, sea state, vessel traffic, and the actions of the ships' crews. It is important for ships to constantly monitor and adjust their course and speed to maintain a safe closest approach.

5. How can the closest approach of two ships be minimized?

The closest approach of two ships can be minimized by following established maritime rules and regulations, maintaining a proper lookout, using navigational aids, and communicating with other vessels. In some cases, ships may also alter their course or speed to increase the closest approach distance and avoid potential collisions.