Gamma rays over very large areas

In summary, the HERMES III at Sandia National Labs can generate very large area gamma rays by converting the electron beam into bremsstrahlung radiations after hitting the tantalum target. As we can see in the isodose contours in the linked article especially at page 40, the gamma ray field is indeed huge. It makes sense since the target size ranges from the size of transistors to the size of military tanks. The titanium sapphire laser system can generate very intense gamma ray fields over large areas just like HERMES III. This means scientists can reduce cost and take up less space as HERMES III is much larger than the laser system.
Rev. Cheeseman
TL;DR Summary
Generating gamma rays over very large areas by other means other than large accelerators in order to simulate nuclear explosion effects on military tanks, satellites, missiles, etc.
According to this link https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a351472.pdf, HERMES III at Sandia National Labs can generate very large area gamma rays by converting the electron beam into bremsstrahlung radiations after hitting the tantalum target. As we can see in the isodose contours in the linked article especially at page 40, the gamma ray field is indeed huge. It makes sense since the target size ranges from the size of transistors to the size of military tanks.

Here, in this link https://spie.org/news/3737-gamma-ray-generation-using-a-laser-accelerated-electron-beam?SSO=1 it was said that Ti Sapphire laser systems have very high power which is at Terawatt and Petawatt level. Ti Sapphire laser systems can be used to generate gamma rays too of course with the aids of some other components, but I'm not sure if the gamma rays generated are the same size as the gamma rays produced by HERMES III.

So, my question is can we generate very large area gamma rays with Ti Sapphire laser systems just like the HERMES III? Maybe by increase the size?

Physics news on Phys.org
You understand that dosage is basically Energy deposited and you are quoting power for the laser...apples vs apples /s...what is the question ??

Petawatt lasers have extremely short pulses, their total energy is small, and converting their pulses to gamma rays isn't particularly efficient.

What is the purpose of having gamma rays over a large area? Scanning over representative places is so much easier.

hutchphd said:
You understand that dosage is basically Energy deposited and you are quoting power for the laser...apples vs apples /s...what is the question ??

Sorry for that as I still don't fully understand how accelerators and laser plasma work. HERMES III is 16 terawatt while the titanium sapphire laser system is 30 terawatt which leads me thinking that more powerful gamma rays can be generated through the laser system. But I could be wrong.

I'm curious if we can generate very large area gamma rays that can simulate nuclear explosion effects on military tanks, like the HERMES III, but by using laser systems instead of vacuum diodes, large accelerators, etc. If we can generate the same gamma ray fields over very large areas for example areas with 100+ feet radius with laser systems including the compact and smaller one, it will be like the transition from vacuum tubes to solid-state devices.

mfb said:
Petawatt lasers have extremely short pulses, their total energy is small, and converting their pulses to gamma rays isn't particularly efficient.

What is the purpose of having gamma rays over a large area? Scanning over representative places is so much easier.
So, in order to simulate nuclear weapon effects on military tanks which to generate very large area gamma ray fields, the laser system must be big too?

I am puzzled by the motivation for the question. Exact numbers for gamma ray exposure to occupants of a tank seem pretty far down humanity's list of things we need to know.

hutchphd said:
I am puzzled by the motivation for the question. Exact numbers for gamma ray exposure to occupants of a tank seem pretty far down humanity's list of things we need to know.

It is just a thought experiment, like the analogy of transition from vacuum tubes to solid-state devices. Maybe I should rephrase my question.

The HERMES III generated 22MeV bremsstrahlung gamma ray fields over very large areas while the titanium sapphire laser system can generated 30MeV bremsstrahlung gamma rays according to the second link in my first question. But we're not sure if the gamma rays generated by the laser system can cover huge areas like the HERMES III.

So, in order to generate huge gamma ray fields over huge areas, the laser system must be large too?

You can always increase the area by going farther away from the source to make the radiation spread out. Add some scattering if you are impatient (don't want a large tunnel to the target). This makes the intensity go down, of course.
I still don't see the point. Which specific research question would profit from it?

mfb said:
You can always increase the area by going farther away from the source to make the radiation spread out. Add some scattering if you are impatient (don't want a large tunnel to the target). This makes the intensity go down, of course.
I still don't see the point. Which specific research question would profit from it?

Ok, so in conclusion, we can use the titanum sapphire laser system to generate intense gamma ray fields over very large areas just like HERMES III. That means scientists can reduce cost and take up less space as HERMES III is much larger than the laser system.

No

hutchphd said:
No

Can you give explanations?

wonderingchicken said:
Ok, so in conclusion, we can use the titanum sapphire laser system to generate intense gamma ray fields over very large areas just like HERMES III. That means scientists can reduce cost and take up less space as HERMES III is much larger than the laser system.
I have no idea how you got that impression from my posts.

mfb said:
I have no idea how you got that impression from my posts.

Sorry for that. Can you give more detailed explanations and conclusion that can be made from your previous post?

1. What are gamma rays and how are they produced?

Gamma rays are a type of electromagnetic radiation with the shortest wavelengths and highest frequencies. They are produced through nuclear reactions, such as radioactive decay, or by high-energy processes in the universe, such as supernovas and black holes.

2. How do gamma rays travel over very large areas?

Gamma rays travel through space at the speed of light and can travel over very large distances. They are able to travel through the vacuum of space because they have no mass and no charge, allowing them to move in a straight line without being affected by magnetic fields or other forces.

3. What are the potential dangers of gamma rays over very large areas?

Gamma rays can be harmful to living organisms as they have high penetrating power and can damage cells and DNA. However, the Earth's atmosphere provides protection from most gamma rays, and only a small percentage of them reach the Earth's surface.

4. How are gamma rays detected and measured over very large areas?

Gamma rays can be detected and measured using specialized instruments such as gamma ray telescopes or detectors. These instruments can detect the high energy photons emitted by gamma rays and measure their intensity and direction of travel.

5. What are the potential applications of studying gamma rays over very large areas?

Studying gamma rays over very large areas can provide valuable insights into the universe, such as the origins of cosmic rays and the behavior of black holes. It can also be used in medical imaging, radiation therapy, and industrial applications such as detecting defects in materials and sterilizing medical equipment.