Gamma spectrum Na-22: Peak origins

In summary, the conversation is about the gamma spectrum of Na-22, which was measured using a Ge-spectrometer and Genie-2000 software. There were two peaks observed at 1274 keV and 511 keV, with a significant difference in peaksurface. The origin of the 511 keV peak was identified as electron-positron annihilation, while the 1274 keV peak is the result of electron capture and beta+ decay. The discussion also includes the effect of attenuation coefficients in germanium on peak areas. Overall, the conversation was helpful in completing an assignment.
LucidWaker
Hey,

For my first post here, I had a question about the gamma spectrum of Na-22.

I measured the gamma spectrum of Na-22 with a Ge-spectrometer. Using Genie-2000 software I saw two peaks in the spectrum, 1274 keV (peaksurface 3981±1,74%) and 511 keV (peaksurface 25494±0,68%). (Horizontal axis is divided into channels, each representing an energy band. The vertical axis represents the number of counts)

As an assignment, I have to explain the origins of these peaks and why there is so much difference in peaksurface.

The peak at 511 keV is electron-positron annihilation, I guess. And if I interpret this source* correctly, the peak at 1274 keV is the result of both electron capture (which the assignment wants me to ignore) and beta+ decay?

Another question I had was why the peak at 511 keV is so much higher (a lot more surface)? It is true that electron-positron annihilation yields two photons, but they travel in opposite directions so, in generl, the chance the Ge-spectrometer measures both is quite small. (The sample lies on top of the spectrometer)

Thanks in advance for the help.

*=http://community.middlebury.edu/~PHManual/gamma.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at this plot of attenuation coefficients for photons in germanium:

http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/XrayMassCoef/ElemTab/z32.html

Make sure you are measuring peak areas and not just the counts in the highest channel. In particular look at these attenuation coefficients in germanium.

0.50 MeV 8.212E-02 cm2 per gram
1.25 MeV 5.101E-02 cm2 per gram

Bob S

I hadn't considered this effect before, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I think I can finish my assignment with this.

Thanks again!

1. What is a gamma spectrum?

A gamma spectrum is a visual representation of the gamma rays emitted by a radioactive source. It shows the intensity of the gamma rays at different energies, which can provide information about the composition and structure of the source.

2. What is Na-22?

Na-22, or sodium-22, is a radioactive isotope of sodium that emits gamma rays. It has a half-life of 2.6 years and is commonly used in medical imaging and research.

3. What are peak origins in a gamma spectrum?

Peak origins refer to the specific energies at which gamma rays are emitted by a radioactive source. Each peak in a gamma spectrum represents a specific energy level and can be used to identify the elements present in the source.

4. How are peak origins determined in a gamma spectrum?

Peak origins are determined through a process called gamma spectroscopy. This involves measuring the energies of the gamma rays emitted by a source and comparing them to known energy levels for different elements. By matching the peaks in the spectrum to known energies, the peak origins can be identified.

5. Why is it important to understand peak origins in a gamma spectrum?

Understanding peak origins in a gamma spectrum can provide valuable information about the composition and structure of a radioactive source. This can be useful in fields such as nuclear medicine, environmental monitoring, and research. It can also help identify potential hazards and ensure the safe handling and disposal of radioactive materials.