Gas Interaction in a Box: Force and Pressure Dynamics

I guess that can be done by solving the equation you gave earlier. But I'm not sure if I'm capable enough to solve the Navier Stokes equations actually. So I guess the final state is what I'm trying to get.In summary, the conversation discusses a box with a partition and two gas regions at different pressures. The partition is removed at time t=0 and the questions inquire about the force between the gases and how to determine the pressure function. It is suggested to use Fick's second law to determine the concentration and solve the Navier Stokes equations to quantify the forces and deformations involved. Simplifying assumptions may be necessary and the goal is to determine the final state of the system.
etotheipi
There is a box ##\mathcal{B} \subseteq \mathbb{R}^3## with a partition coinciding with the plane ##z=0##. The gas in the region ##z<0## is initially at ##p_1## and the gas in the region ##z > 0## is initially at ##p_2##, where ##p_1 \neq p_2##. At time ##t=0##, the partition is removed (details not important). Questions:

- at exactly ##t=0##, what is the magnitude of the force that gas ##1## exerts on gas ##2## (and vice versa, by NIII)?
- how to determine the function ##p(\mathbf{x},t)##, for all ##\mathbf{x} \in \mathcal{B}## and all ##t \geq 0##?

Physics news on Phys.org
General Kenobi said:
There is a box ##\mathcal{B} \subseteq \mathbb{R}^3## with a partition coinciding with the plane ##z=0##. The gas in the region ##z<0## is initially at ##p_1## and the gas in the region ##z > 0## is initially at ##p_2##, where ##p_1 \neq p_2##. At time ##t=0##, the partition is removed (details not important). Questions:

- at exactly ##t=0##, what is the magnitude of the force that gas ##1## exerts on gas ##2## (and vice versa, by NIII)?
- how to determine the function ##p(\mathbf{x},t)##, for all ##\mathbf{x} \in \mathcal{B}## and all ##t \geq 0##?
I am not sure it makes sense to ask about the force that the ##z<0## gas exerts on the ##z>0## gas. Before you go to NIII, what about NI? The simplest model is the ideal gas in which the gas molecules occupy only a tiny fraction of the volume of ##\mathcal{B}## which is another way of saying that they rarely undergo collisions with each one another. The force ##pA## that the gas exerts on the walls, as you know, comes as a result of elastic collisions with the immovable walls.

Thus, while the partition is in place there is an average ##pA## force acting in each of its sides. If it's free to move, it will do so according to NI and NII as more impulse per unit time is delivered on one side than the other. You might even be able to define the force that the partition exerts on the gas as the NIII counterpart of ##pA##. However when the partition is removed at ##t=0##, a ##z<0## gas molecule that was about to collide with it will keep on going according to NI until it collides with the far wall in ##z>0##. That is why the first question does not make sense to me.

I see the second question also as iffy but to a lesser extent. Pressure is a macroscopic property of the gas so asking for ##p(\mathbf{x},t)## can lead into trouble. Suppose you subdivide your box into elements ##\Delta V##. For pressure to make sense, every element must contain at least one molecule, preferably more and that sets a lower limit for ##\Delta V##. In other words, I don't think that the transition from ##\Delta V## to ##dV## to geometric point ##\mathbf{x}## can be made because of the "granularity" of the gas molecules.

Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
I think making the transition to a continuous description of the fluid is fine. In Landau & Lifshitz they explained that when you speak of infinitely small elements of volume, it just means small compared to the body as a whole but large compared to the inter-molecular distance. Thus you can abstract away any details about the molecules and just treat it as a continuous medium.

And further, the macroscopic state functions of the fluid (##\rho, p, T,## etc) are in general functions of the position coordinate ##\mathbf{x}## and the time ##t##, as well as things like e.g. the velocity field ##\mathbf{v}(\mathbf{x}, t)##.

I think you are right in that asking for the force between the two gases at ##t=0## is not going to yield much meaningful results. But maybe interesting to determine how the distribution of pressure ##p(\mathbf{x},t)## evolves after removing the boundary; except I can't figure out how to setup the equation(s)! 😅

Likes vanhees71
When you remove the barrier the gas of higher concentration (higher pressure) diffuses into the gas of lower concentration. I suggest solving Fick's second law,
$$
\frac{\partial c(z,t)}{\partial t}=D\frac{\partial ^2 c}{\partial z^2}
$$
where c is the concentration. The concentration can be related to the ideal gas law.

Likes etotheipi
When you remove the barrier, the force exerted by gas 1 on gas 2 (also equal to the force gas 2 exerts on gas 1) will lie somewhere between the force that gas 1 had exerted on the barrier previously and the force that gas 2 had exerted on the barrier. The gases will each be experiencing rapid irreversible deformations that involve viscous stresses and discontinuous pressure waves. The forces and deformations involved can be quantified using the equations of gas dynamics.

Likes PhDeezNutz and etotheipi
Thanks! I tried to play around with it for an hour or so but I think in the end this problem comes down to solving the navier stokes equations, and I'm not sure if there's too much more insight to be gained except for maybe a bit of computational proficiency.

I wonder, @Chestermiller, maybe if there are some simplifying assumptions that might be made? If not then I don't think I'll spend too much more time worrying about actually solving it 😄

General Kenobi said:
Thanks! I tried to play around with it for an hour or so but I think in the end this problem comes down to solving the navier stokes equations, and I'm not sure if there's too much more insight to be gained except for maybe a bit of computational proficiency.

I wonder, @Chestermiller, maybe if there are some simplifying assumptions that might be made? If not then I don't think I'll spend too much more time worrying about actually solving it 😄
It depends on what you are trying to determine. Are you trying to get the final state of the system, or the initial force at the interface of the gases?

Likes etotheipi and vanhees71
Chestermiller said:
It depends on what you are trying to determine. Are you trying to get the final state of the system, or the initial force at the interface of the gases?

The initial plan was to figure out how the pressure in the container varies as a function of position and time, up until the system reaches the equilibrium state. But I figured that perhaps the only/most direct way to do that would be to actually program a simulation using the navier stokes equations.

Finding the final state of the system should not be difficult; we could just impose insulating wall boundary conditions so that ##U## is constant, and apply the ideal gas law to the initial and final states. The entropy change could be similarly found by adding together the ##mR \ln(v_2/v_1)## contributions from both gases.

If you are interested in treating this as a diffusion problem see https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/bbm:978-3-319-24847-9/1.pdf on how to solve Ficks's second law. I get,
$$
P(z,t)=\left ( \frac{P_1V_1 + P_2V_2}{2(V_1+V_2)} \right )-\left ( \frac{P_1V_1 + P_2V_2}{2(V_1+V_2)} \right )erf(\frac{z}{2\sqrt{Dt}})
$$assuming the system is isothermal and where ##P_1## and ##P_2## are the initial pressures. This might be a naive approach but it would be interesting to see how it compares with the alternative you come up with.

Likes etotheipi
General Kenobi said:
The initial plan was to figure out how the pressure in the container varies as a function of position and time, up until the system reaches the equilibrium state. But I figured that perhaps the only/most direct way to do that would be to actually program a simulation using the navier stokes equations.

Finding the final state of the system should not be difficult; we could just impose insulating wall boundary conditions so that ##U## is constant, and apply the ideal gas law to the initial and final states. The entropy change could be similarly found by adding together the ##mR \ln(v_2/v_1)## contributions from both gases.
A more interesting problem would be to allow the barrier to freely move rather than removing it entirely, and to treat the barrier as being insulated.

Likes etotheipi
Chestermiller said:
A more interesting problem would be to allow the barrier to freely move rather than removing it entirely, and to treat the barrier as being insulated.

That does seem more interesting!

I think the motion of the partition will be oscillatory [i.e. it will 'overshoot']. The problem I see in determining the equations of motion is that the force per unit area on (both faces of) the piston depends not only on the gas pressure near the piston but also viscous stresses in the gas. Meanwhile, both gases are undergoing irreversible adiabatic expansions and compressions.

Do you have any hints as to how to go about writing down the equations of motion? 😄

General Kenobi said:
That does seem more interesting!

I think the motion of the partition will be oscillatory [i.e. it will 'overshoot']. The problem I see in determining the equations of motion is that the force per unit area on (both faces of) the piston depends not only on the gas pressure near the piston but also viscous stresses in the gas. Meanwhile, both gases are undergoing irreversible adiabatic expansions and compressions.

Do you have any hints as to how to go about writing down the equations of motion? 😄
See my posts in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...n-an-adiabatic-container.981529/#post-6272441

Likes etotheipi
General Kenobi said:
Awesome, thanks. I'll have a read through that thread :smile:
I liked the name etotheipi better.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, vanhees71, Motore and 2 others
When considering adiabatic changes only, you can just use ideal hydrodynamics (i.e., assuming local thermal equilibrium at any time).

Likes etotheipi

1. What is gas interaction in a box?

Gas interaction in a box refers to the movement and collisions of gas particles inside a confined space, such as a container or chamber. This interaction can be influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and volume.

2. How do forces affect gas interaction in a box?

Forces, such as gravity or external pressure, can impact the movement and behavior of gas particles inside a box. For example, a higher external pressure can compress the gas and increase the frequency of collisions between particles.

3. What is the relationship between gas pressure and force in a box?

The pressure of a gas in a box is directly proportional to the force exerted by the gas particles on the walls of the box. This means that as the force increases, the pressure also increases, and vice versa.

4. How does temperature affect gas interaction in a box?

Temperature plays a crucial role in gas interaction in a box. As the temperature increases, the gas particles gain more kinetic energy and move faster, resulting in more frequent and energetic collisions. This can lead to an increase in pressure and volume of the gas.

5. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to gas interaction in a box?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, describes the relationship between pressure (P), volume (V), number of moles (n), and temperature (T) of a gas. This law can be used to predict the behavior of gases in a box, including changes in pressure and volume due to temperature and force.