Gas laws: calculating total volume

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total volume of gases produced from 5 lbs of detonated nitroglycerin. The solution involves using the balance chemical equation and stoichiometry, and correctly converting the mass of nitroglycerin into moles. However, the temperature and pressure to be used for the calculation is not specified. Assuming STP is a reasonable assumption in this case.
ngu9997

Homework Statement

5 lbs of nitroglycerin detonates. What is the total volume of the gases produced?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the balance chemical equation of the decomposition of nitroglycerin and used stoichiometry to find the number of moles of nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide added them all and put the number of moles into PV=nRT. The only thing I'm unsure about is how to convert 5 pounds of nitroglycerin into moles. I multiplied 5 pounds by 453 grams then divided by nitroglycerin's molar mass. Did i convert to moles correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
ngu9997 said:
I multiplied 5 pounds by 453 grams then divided by nitroglycerin's molar mass. Did i convert to moles correctly?

Yes.

The real question is what temperature and pressure are you supposed to use?

When nothing else is given, I would assume STP.

1. What are the gas laws?

The gas laws are a set of fundamental principles that describe the behavior of gases. They include Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, Gay-Lussac's Law, and the Combined Gas Law.

2. How do you calculate total volume using gas laws?

To calculate total volume using gas laws, you need to know the pressure, temperature, and amount of gas present. You can then use the appropriate gas law equation, such as the Combined Gas Law, to calculate the final volume.

3. Can you give an example of calculating total volume using gas laws?

Sure, let's say we have a balloon with an initial volume of 2 liters, a pressure of 1 atmosphere, and a temperature of 25°C. If we decrease the pressure to 0.5 atmospheres and increase the temperature to 50°C, we can use the Combined Gas Law to calculate the final volume as follows: (2 L * 1 atm * 323 K) / (0.5 atm * 298 K) = 4.32 L.

4. What units are typically used when calculating total volume using gas laws?

The units used will depend on the specific gas law being used. Pressure is typically measured in atmospheres (atm), temperature in Kelvin (K), and volume in liters (L). However, other units such as millimeters of mercury (mmHg) and Celsius (°C) may also be used.

5. What are some practical applications of gas laws and calculating total volume?

Gas laws are used in a variety of fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. Some practical applications include determining the volume of a gas needed for a chemical reaction, predicting the behavior of gases in weather patterns, and designing and maintaining gas systems in buildings and vehicles.