Gas Prices: Cash vs. Credit in South Jersey

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary: California, that gas stations are starting to install filters that stop cigarette smoke before it enters the pump.I haven't noticed any games with the prices.
Jimmy Snyder
For many years now in South Jersey, gas stations have had tall signs with large numbers on them giving the price of a gallon of regular, plus, and premium gasoline. I always use regular so normally, I don't pay much attention to the second and third prices. A few months ago, I saw a sign with some small print on it explaining that the prices were for regular (paid in cash), regular (paid with credit card) and plus (paid with cash). I always pay with a credit card, so for me, the first price has become irrelevant, but unless I read the small print, I don't know that. Several stations here and there have switched over to this new system so I have one more complication in my life. Since most gas stations have not changed over to this new system, I cannot but read the sign carefully before I fill up. What's going on in your neighborhood?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jimmysnyder said:
For many years now, gas stations have had tall signs with large numbers on them giving the price of a gallon of regular, plus, and premium gasoline. I always use regular so normally, I don't pay much attention to the second and third prices. A few months ago, I saw a sign with some small print on it explaining that the prices were for regular (paid in cash), regular (paid with credit card) and plus (paid with cash). I always pay with a credit card, so for me, the first price has become irrelevant, but unless I read the small print, I don't know that. Several stations here and there have switched over to this new system so I have one more complication in my life. Since most gas stations have not changed over to this new system, I cannot but read the sign carefully before I fill up. What's going on in your neighborhood?
I don't think that's allowed in NY, but I could be wrong. It may depend on the locality, but I haven't seen that system locally.

I have noticed that prices have changed 'everyday' during the last week+. The price dipped yesterday, but has increased ~$0.25/yr in the last 10 days.

I love NJ gas stations. They also don't let you pump your own gas (or at least you used to not be able to).

FredGarvin said:
I love NJ gas stations. They also don't let you pump your own gas (or at least you used to not be able to).

The same is true here in Oregon.

I Haven't noticed any games with the prices.

FredGarvin said:

Still don't, so I just LOVE when I go back to visit with WV plates now. Since the gas station attendants are always so slow, I just play stupid and pump my own anyway. By the time they show up, all they need to do is hand me the receipt. :biggrin: (I always figured it was a form of welfare to have a law not allowing people to pump their own gas...when we were kids, if you weren't doing well in school, you'd get admonished with the phrase, "You don't want to pump gas for a living when you grow up, do you?"...the implication being that pumping gas is a job for the morons who can't be employed doing anything else...though I think WalMart has tapped into that applicant pool with their greeters.)

I didn't know they were back to charging more for credit. They did that years ago, and I thought it was either outlawed, or just turned out bad for business. If they're doing that again, I'll be careful to pay attention when visiting. Thanks for the heads-up. Another old trick they used was to add a grade. Instead of having Regular, Super, Premium (or whichever order those top two are in), they added "Economy" so everyone used to driving up and saying, "Fill 'er up regular" got the mid-grade more expensive gas.

FredGarvin said:
I assume that the gas station owners would rather let the customers pump their own since then they don't have to pay the attendant. I assume that's why it's cheaper to pump your own where it's legal. However, despite the fact that gas station attendents get minimum wage, they apparently have a very powerful lobby to protect them from getting fired and having to make more money elsewhere. Also, there is the fear that NJ residents are too stupid to put out their cigarettes before they start pumping. This has become such a problem in 'pump your own' states, that stations there now have to be located at least 10 feet away from any public road. It's yet another example of why people from the south want to secede. Emotions run hot in the deep south, say Cape May.

jimmysnyder said:
I assume that the gas station owners would rather let the customers pump their own since then they don't have to pay the attendant. I assume that's why it's cheaper to pump your own where it's legal. However, despite the fact that gas station attendents get minimum wage, they apparently have a very powerful lobby to protect them from getting fired and having to make more money elsewhere. Also, there is the fear that NJ residents are too stupid to put out their cigarettes before they start pumping. This has become such a problem in 'pump your own' states, that stations there now have to be located at least 10 feet away from any public road. It's yet another example of why people from the south want to secede. Emotions run hot in the deep south, say Cape May.

The explanation when I lived there was the residents were too stupid not to splash themselves in the eyes with gasoline. And then at some point they tried claiming it had something to do with the deleterious health effects of breathing the fumes (because it's so much worse to pump your one tank of gas once every week or so than to have someone exposed to those fumes for 8 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week :uhh:...apparently only people with high school diplomas are made ill by gasoline fumes.)

Moonbear said:
The explanation when I lived there was the residents were too stupid not to splash themselves in the eyes with gasoline. And then at some point they tried claiming it had something to do with the deleterious health effects of breathing the fumes (because it's so much worse to pump your one tank of gas once every week or so than to have someone exposed to those fumes for 8 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week :uhh:...apparently only people with high school diplomas are made ill by gasoline fumes.)
For as long as I lived in NY, I never heard the reasons why there is that law. I used to do the "play stupid" thing as well. I had a couple of guys come running out to tell me I was not supposed to do that. It ended up being kinda fun.

FredGarvin said:
For as long as I lived in NY, I never heard the reasons why there is that law. I used to do the "play stupid" thing as well. I had a couple of guys come running out to tell me I was not supposed to do that. It ended up being kinda fun.

Even if I'm on my way somewhere where it's nice to have someone else pump the gas so I don't get any on my hands (every once in a while that happens with a dirty pump handle and it sucks if you're on the way out to dinner), I get much faster service if I get out of my car and start opening my gas cap myself. That's the part that drives me nuts is there'll be a line 6 cars long at every pump and they have one guy running pump to pump and 3 guys standing around with their thumbs up their bum. So, if you're running short on time, just get out and look like you're going to pump your own and, voila, one of those guys standing around doing nothing suddenly is motivated to get up and do his job.

Nowadays, who knows, the old reasons for the law are probably long gone and there's probably some gas station attendant union that lobbies to keep the law so they have jobs where they can stand around brain dead all day and get paid for it.

Though, my whole life, I've never heard of someone actually getting in trouble for pumping their own gas. I have no idea if there's any actual penalty behind that law or who would get in trouble for it (would it be the person pumping their own gas, or the gas station owner).

quoth MB:
though I think WalMart has tapped into that applicant pool with their greeters.

Just a minute Moonbear.

There was a greeter at the Santa Fe Walmart on Cerrillos Rd, who was the oldest salaried employee anywhere in the US -at that time, 'bout 1992. Anyway, he knew every nook and cranny of the store, and the names and families of almost everybody who walked in. No way was he from the shallow end of the gene pool. Without Walmart he would probably have died years earlier, planted in front of his TV.

Several of the greeters at my Walmart are great. They're elderly, but they are sincerely really sweet people. Walmart usually only hires the elderly or handicapped for the greeter position.

I *wish* that I didn't always have to pump my own gas, like when it's below zero with 60 mph winds. Also, now you're not supposed to get back into your car while the pump is running so that you don't explode. :grumpy:

1. How do gas prices differ between paying with cash and credit in South Jersey?

Gas prices in South Jersey typically differ by a few cents per gallon when paying with cash versus credit. This is because credit card companies charge merchants a transaction fee for each credit card purchase, and gas stations often pass this cost onto the consumer.

2. Why do gas stations offer a lower price for paying with cash?

Gas stations offer a lower price for paying with cash because it helps them offset the transaction fee they are charged by credit card companies. By encouraging customers to pay with cash, gas stations can save money on transaction fees and offer a lower price for gas.

3. Is it always cheaper to pay with cash for gas in South Jersey?

No, it is not always cheaper to pay with cash for gas in South Jersey. While most gas stations do offer a lower price for cash payments, there are some stations that do not differentiate between cash and credit prices. Additionally, some credit cards offer rewards or cash back on gas purchases, which can make paying with credit a better option for some consumers.

4. Are gas prices affected by the type of credit card used?

Yes, gas prices can be affected by the type of credit card used. Some credit card companies charge higher transaction fees for gas purchases, which can lead to higher gas prices at the pump. Additionally, certain credit cards may offer discounts or rewards for gas purchases, which can result in a lower price for consumers.

5. Can gas stations change their prices throughout the day for cash and credit payments?

Yes, gas stations can change their prices throughout the day for both cash and credit payments. Gas prices are determined by a variety of factors, including the cost of crude oil, supply and demand, and competition among gas stations. Therefore, prices can fluctuate multiple times throughout the day for both cash and credit payments.