Gas Radiation - Emissivity Value

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the use of Hottel's and Leckner's curves for radiative heat transfer and the differences between the two methods. It was mentioned that there have been comparisons between the methods and that they have been found to provide accurate results for specific gases and combinations. However, there are differences in the assumptions and approximations used, which can lead to variations in the results. It was also recommended to validate the results with experimental data.
CFDFEAGURU
I work in the field of high temperature equipment and I am using Hottel's curves from his classical book "Radiative Transfer" then I bought a much newer book by Michael F. Modest, "Radiative Heat Transfer" and this book uses curves by Leckner. I rewrote the FORTRAN code from Modest's book into a C++ program, debugged it and verified the results. Both Hottel and Leckner only work for H2O, CO2 and a combination of them.

My question is:

Has anyone really noticed a difference between the two methods?

Thanks
Matt

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello Matt,

Thank you for sharing your experience with using Hottel's and Leckner's curves for radiative heat transfer. As a fellow scientist in the field, I can understand your curiosity about the differences between the two methods.

To answer your question, yes, there have been studies and comparisons between Hottel's and Leckner's curves for radiative heat transfer. In general, both methods have been found to provide accurate results for the specific gases and combinations that they were designed for. However, there are some differences in the assumptions and approximations used in each method, which can lead to variations in the results.

One study by Garg and Modest (1995) compared the two methods for a range of temperatures and gas compositions. They found that Hottel's method tends to overestimate the radiative heat transfer for high temperatures and low pressures, while Leckner's method tends to underestimate it. Additionally, Hottel's method assumes a uniform temperature distribution in the gas, while Leckner's method takes into account temperature gradients. This can lead to differences in the results, especially for non-uniform temperature distributions.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of each method and choose the one that is most appropriate for your specific application. It is also recommended to validate the results with experimental data, as you have done with your C++ program.

I hope this helps answer your question. Keep up the good work in your research!

1. What is gas radiation?

Gas radiation is the process by which gases emit electromagnetic radiation, such as heat, in the form of infrared energy. This is a natural occurrence and is a crucial component of the Earth's energy balance.

2. What is the emissivity value of gas radiation?

The emissivity value of gas radiation is a measure of how efficiently a gas emits radiation compared to a perfect blackbody at the same temperature. It ranges from 0 to 1, with higher values indicating a greater ability to emit radiation.

3. How is the emissivity value of gas radiation determined?

The emissivity value of gas radiation is determined by various factors, including the gas composition, temperature, and pressure. It can be calculated using mathematical models or measured experimentally using specialized instruments.

4. Why is the emissivity value of gas radiation important?

The emissivity value of gas radiation is essential because it affects the amount of heat that is transferred through radiation. It also plays a crucial role in atmospheric science and climate research, as it influences the Earth's energy balance and contributes to the greenhouse effect.

5. Can the emissivity value of gas radiation be changed?

Yes, the emissivity value of gas radiation can be changed by altering the gas composition, temperature, or pressure. For example, increasing the temperature of a gas can increase its emissivity value, while changing its composition can alter the specific wavelengths of radiation it emits.