Why Does Fire Not Travel Backwards in a Gas Hose During Ignition?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of fire not traveling backwards inside a hose when it is attached to a gas tank or gasoline pump. The reason for this is twofold: the pressure of the gas or fluid coming out prevents the fire from entering the hose, and there is also very little oxygen inside the hose for the fire to sustain itself. However, if the pressure of the gas decreases and the hose begins to drip, there is a possibility of the fire catching backwards and causing an explosion if there is enough fuel and oxygen present. This has been depicted in movies, but it is not always accurate.
Lacplesis
Hi , a simple question arose in my head , why is that every time I have seen a hose attached to a gas tank being set on fire the fire always burns out of the end of he hose but the fire never travels backwards inside the hose back to the tank to explode it.
the same I suppose happens to a gasoline pumps hose which you normally stick in your cars fuel tank , i assume if you would lite it on fire and hold it open the fireball would never travel back inwards into the hose.
Why is this so? is it because there is pressure and fluid/gas coming out so fire cannot get in or also because in the hose there is very little oxygen so the flame cannot go back more so it stays at the end of the hose where the fluid/gas stream meets fresh air (oxygen) ?

what happens when the pressure of the gasoline or gas ends up and the hose begins to drip could the flame catch backwards inside the hose then ? and travel to the tank and if there would be the right amount of fumes make it explode then ?

this has been shown many times in movies both correctly and incorrectly so i wonder.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oxygen.

Likes russ_watters

1. What causes gas tank explosions?

Gas tank explosions are typically caused by a buildup of flammable vapors inside the tank, which can be ignited by a spark or open flame. Other factors that can contribute to gas tank explosions include faulty gas tank valves, poor maintenance, and external heat sources.

2. How common are gas tank explosions?

Gas tank explosions are relatively rare, but they do occur. The frequency of gas tank explosions depends on a variety of factors, including the type of fuel, the condition of the tank, and the presence of other potential ignition sources.

3. Can a gas tank explosion be prevented?

Yes, gas tank explosions can be prevented by following proper safety protocols and taking appropriate precautions. This includes regular maintenance and inspection of gas tanks, avoiding smoking or open flames near gas tanks, and using proper ventilation in areas where gas tanks are stored.

4. What should I do if I witness a gas tank explosion?

If you witness a gas tank explosion, the first priority is to ensure your own safety. Move away from the area and call emergency services immediately. If you are able to do so safely, turn off the source of the gas and try to contain the fire until help arrives.

5. Are gas tank explosions always deadly?

No, gas tank explosions can vary in severity depending on the size of the explosion and the proximity of people and other objects. While some gas tank explosions can be deadly, others may only result in minor injuries or property damage. However, it is important to always take gas tank explosions seriously and follow proper safety precautions to minimize the risk of harm.