Gases I could expect to see using an IR receiver

In summary: You need an IR receiver and a light source. You place the light source in the path of the IR receiver.
bertopolis
Hi I was wondering if someone could tell me what kind of gases I could expect to see using an IR receiver between the wavelengths of 110 and 330 nm. As well as this id love to know what kind of glass could be used in order to not interfere with the actual results.
Thanks a million

Physics news on Phys.org
bertopolis said:
IR receiver ... 110 and 330 nm
Check your numbers. You've listed blue end of visible, and into UV.

sorry i meant cm^-1

Vibrations of weak bonds, rotations. Fill in the blanks for weakly polyatomic molecules with heteronuclear bonds.

Would you know anywhere that could be a source of the wavelength of gases in this interval? I've been trying to find what gases could be found here for various weeks, although my more pressing question is what glass type can be used in order for results to not be affected.
Thanks for all your help

You want a "Sadtler" for very far IR, into radar/microwave range?
There may be such, " http://www.lib.utexas.edu/chem/info/sadtler.html ," but if UT says it's beyond their budget, I'm sure it's beyond mine to even browse for compiled data. Your best bet is going to be Chem./Phys. Abstracts, or Sci. Cit. for specific compounds that interest you.

Likes bertopolis
Thanks a Million.
I just learned that when doing infrared spectrometry there must be an infrared source and another light source( eg. He Ne laser) but of course both these would need individual detectors, would this be done by placing a beam splitter at the exit of the spectrometer after the light has been "in contact" with the gas source?
And given that the source is a weak infrared diode and the infrared detector is a photo-diode, how can one insure there is sufficient infrared light reaching the detector once it has passed through the spectrometer/interferometer, source and possibly the beam splitter?
Thanks

1. What is an IR receiver and how does it work?

An IR receiver is a device that detects and decodes infrared (IR) light signals. It works by receiving IR light signals from a transmitter and converting them into electrical signals, which can then be interpreted by a microcontroller or other electronic device.

2. What types of gases can be detected using an IR receiver?

An IR receiver can be used to detect a wide range of gases, including carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, methane, propane, and many others. This is because these gases absorb specific wavelengths of IR light, which can be detected by the receiver.

3. How accurate are gas measurements taken with an IR receiver?

The accuracy of gas measurements taken with an IR receiver depends on several factors, including the sensitivity and quality of the receiver, the calibration of the device, and the environmental conditions. In general, IR receivers can provide accurate measurements with a margin of error of less than 5%.

4. Can an IR receiver be used to detect gas leaks?

Yes, an IR receiver can be used to detect gas leaks. Since gas leaks emit small amounts of gas into the surrounding environment, they can be detected by an IR receiver that is sensitive enough to detect these small concentrations of gas.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using an IR receiver for gas detection?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when using an IR receiver for gas detection. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, ensuring proper ventilation in the testing area, and following the manufacturer's instructions for operating the device. It is also important to regularly calibrate the IR receiver to ensure accurate readings and to replace any worn or damaged components.