Can Gasoline Vapor in Sewers Lead to Explosions?

In summary, the explosion risk of gasoline is significant, especially in confined areas. Gasoline vapors have a GMW of >100 compared to air's GMW of 29, causing them to settle in low areas. The explosion boundaries for gasoline and air range from 0.6-8% when the temperature is between 2-10°C and the vapor pressure is between 50-400 mbar at 20°C. It is unclear what the exact percentage of gasoline in the air would be in this scenario, but gasoline vapors are always a hazard for explosions. In cases with no or little air motion, gasoline vapors will settle in low areas. Cars with gasoline tanks in garages are considered safe if gas or oil furn
Arjan.
Hi,

i need to know something about the explosion risk of gasoline. I have to assess the risks of gasoline leaking into a sewer. They say the vapor can cause explosions.

I looked up some facts, but i can't find the answer.

1) Here's the data
temperature: 2 to 10°C
explosion boundaries of gasoline (in volume% with air): 0,6 - 8
vaporpressure of gasoline at 20 °C: 50-400 mbar
relative mass of air saturated with gasoline at 20°C (air = 1) : 1,15

2) Question: Can gasoline vapor explode in these conditions? What will be the % of gasoline in the air?
If it doesn't explode under these conditions, under what conditions will it explode?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gasoline vapors are aways an explosion hazard, especially in confined areas. In cases where there is no or little air motion, gasoline vapors will settle to low areas, because its GMW (gram molecular weight) is ~>100 vs. air = 29. Cars with gasoline tanks in garages are considered safe if gas or oil furnaces are mounted on raised structures.
Bob S

Based on the data provided, it is possible for gasoline vapor to explode under these conditions. The explosion boundaries of gasoline are between 0.6-8% volume with air, and the relative mass of air saturated with gasoline at 20°C is 1.15. This means that if the concentration of gasoline vapor in the air exceeds 0.6-8%, it can lead to an explosion.

To calculate the exact percentage of gasoline in the air, we would need to know the volume of the space where the gasoline is leaking and the amount of gasoline being leaked. However, it is important to note that even a small amount of gasoline vapor can be dangerous and potentially lead to an explosion.

Other factors that can contribute to the risk of explosion include the temperature and vapor pressure of the gasoline. In this case, the temperature is relatively low (2-10°C) which may decrease the likelihood of an explosion. However, the vapor pressure of gasoline at 20°C is between 50-400 mbar which is high enough to potentially create an explosive mixture.

It is important to take precautions and prevent any gasoline from leaking into a sewer, as it can create an explosive environment. Proper ventilation and safety protocols should be followed when handling gasoline to minimize the risk of explosion.

1. How do gasoline vapors lead to explosions?

Gasoline vapors are highly flammable and when they come into contact with a spark or flame, they can ignite and cause an explosion. This is because gasoline vapors contain a high concentration of hydrocarbons, which are easily ignited by heat.

2. Can gasoline vapors explode without a spark or flame?

Yes, gasoline vapors can explode without a spark or flame if they reach a certain concentration in the air. This is known as a "flash fire" and can occur in confined spaces where the vapors cannot dissipate.

3. How can I prevent gasoline vapors from causing an explosion?

To prevent gasoline vapors from causing an explosion, it is important to handle gasoline and other fuels properly. This includes storing them in approved containers, keeping them away from sources of heat or ignition, and using them in well-ventilated areas.

4. What should I do if I smell gasoline vapors?

If you smell gasoline vapors, it is important to take immediate action to prevent an explosion. This includes leaving the area and notifying others, avoiding any potential sources of ignition, and calling emergency services if necessary.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when handling gasoline?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when handling gasoline. These include wearing protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, avoiding smoking or using open flames near gasoline, and following proper storage and usage guidelines.