Gasoline vs Ethanol: Choosing the Best Fuel for Your Wichita, KS Engine

In summary, Moe is new to Wichita and is trying to convince a friend that gasoline is a better fuel than ethanol and/or methanol. He has most of the information he needs, but is looking for the amount of water produced when each fuel burns, the air/fuel ratio for ethanol and methanol, and the maximum amount of water each fuel can take on and still run in an internal combustion engine. Moe has experience with methanol race engines and knows that some racers refuse to use ethanol due to concerns about it damaging the engine. However, the Indy Racing League has successfully switched from methanol to ethanol without any issues. The air/fuel ratio for ethanol and methanol is lower, resulting in more fuel being used and
moe7404
moe in wichita ks
iam new here, i think i will like this site.
iam trying to show a friend that gasoline is a better fuel than ethanol and/or methanol. i have most of the info i need. but what i do need is.
1 how much water is made when each one burns one gal.
2 air/fuel ratio for the ethanol and methanol. i have gasoline 14.7
3 how much water can each one take on and still run in a i.c. engine
i have helped friends with methanol race engines so i have some real world experance. some racers will not run ethanol, they think it will mess up the engine cause of the sugar used to make it.
thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Indy Racing League race cars switched from methanol to ethanol. I don't know what was required to make the change, but it's not an issue.

Air to fuel ratio for ethanol / methanol is lower, more fuel is used, and if the ratio is low enough, you end up with more power.

Thank you for your post, Moe from Wichita, KS. It's great to have you here on this site.

Choosing the best fuel for your engine in Wichita, KS can be a tricky decision, but it ultimately depends on your specific vehicle and driving habits. Gasoline has been the traditional choice for most cars, but ethanol and methanol have been gaining popularity as alternative fuels.

In terms of water production, both gasoline and ethanol produce water when burned. However, ethanol produces slightly less water than gasoline. According to the Department of Energy, gasoline produces about 1.1 gallons of water per gallon burned, while ethanol produces about 0.9 gallons of water per gallon burned.

The air/fuel ratio for ethanol and methanol varies depending on the specific engine and its tuning. Generally, ethanol requires a higher air/fuel ratio than gasoline, while methanol requires a much higher air/fuel ratio. The most common ratio for ethanol is around 9:1, while methanol can range from 5:1 to 7:1.

In terms of water tolerance, ethanol and methanol can both handle a certain amount of water in the fuel. Ethanol can handle up to 3.5% water, while methanol can handle up to 0.5% water. However, it's important to note that too much water in either fuel can cause engine damage.

In terms of your friend's concern about ethanol damaging engines due to its sugar content, this is a common misconception. Ethanol is actually less corrosive than gasoline and has been used in engines for decades without any major issues.

Ultimately, the best fuel for your engine will depend on your specific vehicle and driving habits. It's always a good idea to consult your owner's manual or a trusted mechanic for recommendations on the best fuel for your engine. I hope this information helps in your discussion with your friend.

Related to Gasoline vs Ethanol: Choosing the Best Fuel for Your Wichita, KS Engine

What is the difference between gasoline and ethanol?

Gasoline and ethanol are both types of fuel used to power engines. Gasoline is a fossil fuel derived from crude oil, while ethanol is a renewable fuel made from plant materials such as corn or sugarcane. The main difference between the two is their source and production process.

Which fuel is more efficient for my engine?

This depends on your engine's specifications and design. Generally, gasoline has a higher energy content per gallon compared to ethanol. However, ethanol has a higher octane rating, which can improve engine performance. It's best to consult your vehicle's owner's manual to determine which fuel is recommended for your engine.

Is one fuel more environmentally friendly than the other?

Ethanol is generally considered to be more environmentally friendly than gasoline. It produces fewer greenhouse gas emissions and is a renewable resource. However, the production of ethanol can also have negative impacts on the environment, such as land use changes and water pollution. It's important to consider the entire life cycle of both fuels when assessing their environmental impact.

Which fuel is more cost-effective?

The cost of gasoline and ethanol can vary depending on factors such as production and market demand. In general, gasoline tends to be cheaper than ethanol. However, ethanol may be more cost-effective in certain regions where it is produced locally and has government subsidies. It's best to compare prices in your area to determine which fuel is more cost-effective for you.

Can I use both gasoline and ethanol in my engine?

Most modern engines are designed to run on a blend of gasoline and ethanol, known as E10. This blend contains 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline. Some vehicles, such as flex-fuel vehicles, can also run on higher blends of ethanol, such as E85. It's important to check your vehicle's compatibility before using a fuel blend other than E10.