Gauge Pressure of garden hose

In summary, the given scenario involves a garden hose attached to a water faucet and spray nozzle, with the nozzle turned off and the hose lying horizontally on the ground. A small leak in the hose sprays water vertically to a height of 0.68 m. To find the gauge pressure inside the hose, one can use Bernoulli's equation and the density of water to calculate the velocity of the water leaving the hose. Alternatively, the velocity can be determined experimentally using an anemometer.
whoknows123
[SOLVED] Gauge Pressure

A garden hose is attached to a water faucet on one end and a spray nozzle on the other end. The water faucet is turned on, but the nozzle is turned off so that no water flows through the hose. The hose lies horizontally on the ground, and a stream of water sprays vertically out of a small leak to a height of 0.68 m. What is the gauge pressure inside the hose? (Gauge pressure is the amount by which the pressure exceeds atmospheric pressure.)

how would I find this??

Physics news on Phys.org
whoknows123 said:
A garden hose is attached to a water faucet on one end and a spray nozzle on the other end. The water faucet is turned on, but the nozzle is turned off so that no water flows through the hose. The hose lies horizontally on the ground, and a stream of water sprays vertically out of a small leak to a height of 0.68 m. What is the gauge pressure inside the hose? (Gauge pressure is the amount by which the pressure exceeds atmospheric pressure.)

how would I find this??
What is its kinetic energy per unit mass when the water is leaving the hose if it rises .68 m? What is the relationship between pressure difference and velocity of a fluid passing from a region of low (no) speed to higher speed? (Look up Bernouilli's equation).

AM

P + (1/2)pv^2 + pgh
p=density of air=1.29 kg/m^3
h=.68m
how do I find P and velocity?

p=denisty of water = 1.00*10^3 kg/m^3

nevermind, i got it P=pgh + Patm

No, you didn't (I mean not fully). Just read how you defined gauge pressure.

I have to do this question too.

How do I find the velocity w/o knowing the time?

If one knows or calculates the kinetic energy or mass flow rate (and density and cross-sectional area) or volumetric flowrate and cross-sectional area, the velocity can be calculated.

Or experimentally, use an anemometer (either UT or laser)

Last edited:

1. What is gauge pressure of a garden hose?

The gauge pressure of a garden hose refers to the amount of pressure that the hose can produce. It is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi) and is an important factor in determining the strength and effectiveness of a garden hose.

2. How is gauge pressure of a garden hose measured?

Gauge pressure is typically measured using a pressure gauge, which is attached to the end of the garden hose. The gauge will display the pressure in psi or other units, allowing you to accurately determine the gauge pressure of the hose.

3. What is the ideal gauge pressure for a garden hose?

The ideal gauge pressure for a garden hose will vary depending on the specific needs and preferences of the user. However, most standard garden hoses have a gauge pressure of around 40-60 psi. It is important to check the maximum pressure capacity of your hose to ensure it is not exceeded.

4. Can the gauge pressure of a garden hose be adjusted?

Yes, the gauge pressure of a garden hose can be adjusted by using a pressure regulator or nozzle. These tools can help control the flow and pressure of water from the hose, allowing you to adjust it to your desired level.

5. How does the gauge pressure of a garden hose affect its performance?

The gauge pressure of a garden hose plays a crucial role in its effectiveness. A higher gauge pressure means that the hose can produce a stronger and more forceful stream of water, which is useful for tasks such as cleaning or watering large areas. However, too much pressure can also damage plants or delicate surfaces, so it is important to choose the right gauge pressure for your needs.