Gauss-Jordan Elimination algorithm steps

In summary, the algorithm used in the model answer is to repeatedly multiply the row so that the left-most non-zero entry is set to 1, then add/subtract multiples of the row from the rows below it, to make all values below the pivot equal to zero. Then from the bottom up, repeat this process for each row.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Row operations
For this problem,
1681622151988.png

1681622233243.png

For (i) the solution is,
1681622408027.png

However, I am somewhat confused how to follow the steps of the Gauss-Jordan Elimination algorithm from there. Do I have to eliminate the coefficients from ##x_2## and ##x_3## respectively from row 1 and the -5 coefficient from row 2 in the exact order that they did?

For example, could I do for the First row ##R_1 - R_2## which would transform the first row to ##(1~0~7~:~17)## then do row operations to make the top two values in the third column to become zero?

Thank you for any help.

Many thanks!
Many thanks!

Attachments

• 1681622261283.png
    1681622261283.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 1681622361039.png
    1681622361039.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 61
Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
For this problem,
View attachment 324955
View attachment 324956
For (i) the solution is,
View attachment 324959
However, I am somewhat confused how to follow the steps of the Gauss-Jordan Elimination algorithm from there. Do I have to eliminate the coefficients from ##x_2## and ##x_3## respectively from row 1 and the -5 coefficient from row 2 in the exact order that they did?
Yes (I guess).

ChiralSuperfields said:
For example, could I do for the First row ##R_1 - R_2## which would transform the first row to ##(1~0~7~:~17)## then do row operations to make the top two values in the third column to become zero?
It will lead to the correct answer but (I guess) it is probably not what is required.

There are many possible sequences of row operations which would give the correct RREF. But from the wording in the question, it appears you are required to use the specific approach as shown in the model answer.

This would make sense if, for example, it’s part of a computer-science course where you might be required to write some code for this.

The algorithm used in the model answer is, in essence, this:

1. From the top down, repeat for each Row:

a) if needed, multiply the Row so that its left-most non-zero entry is set to 1; this is the Pivot for this Row;

b) add/subtract multiples of the Row from the rows beneath it, to make all values below the Pivot equal to zero.

You end up with 1s in the pivot positions and all zeroes to the left of the pivots.

2. From the bottom up, repeat for each Row:

add/subtract multiples of the Row from the rows above it, to make all values above the Row’s pivot equal to zero.

You end up with RREF.

That's a non-rigorous description.

Note, in this question, no rows initially have leading zeroes. If they did, the initial step would have been to re-order the rows so that the rows with most leading zeroes are nearest the bottom.

Edit - typo's.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and DrClaude

What is the Gauss-Jordan Elimination algorithm?

The Gauss-Jordan Elimination algorithm is a method used to solve systems of linear equations by transforming the system into an equivalent system with a simpler form. It involves using elementary row operations to reduce the system to a triangular form, making it easier to solve.

What are the steps involved in the Gauss-Jordan Elimination algorithm?

The steps involved in the Gauss-Jordan Elimination algorithm are as follows:

1. Write the system of equations in augmented matrix form.
  2. Choose a pivot element (non-zero) in the first column.
  3. Use elementary row operations to create zeros below the pivot element.
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each subsequent column, using the previous pivot element as the starting point.
  5. Use elementary row operations to create zeros above the pivot element.
  6. Repeat steps 2-5 until the matrix is in triangular form.
  7. Use back substitution to solve for the variables.

How is the Gauss-Jordan Elimination algorithm different from the Gauss-Jordan method?

The Gauss-Jordan Elimination algorithm and the Gauss-Jordan method are essentially the same process. The only difference is that the Gauss-Jordan method involves using back substitution at each step to solve for the variables, while the Gauss-Jordan Elimination algorithm waits until the matrix is in triangular form before using back substitution.

What are the advantages of using the Gauss-Jordan Elimination algorithm?

There are several advantages to using the Gauss-Jordan Elimination algorithm:

• It is a systematic and efficient method for solving systems of linear equations.
  • It eliminates the need for guessing and checking solutions.
  • It can be easily programmed into a computer, making it useful for solving large systems of equations.
  • It can be used to find the inverse of a matrix.

What are the limitations of the Gauss-Jordan Elimination algorithm?

There are a few limitations to keep in mind when using the Gauss-Jordan Elimination algorithm:

• It can only be used to solve systems of linear equations.
  • If the matrix is ill-conditioned, the algorithm may produce inaccurate results.
  • If the matrix is singular, the algorithm will not work.
  • The number of operations involved can be time-consuming for large systems of equations.