Gauss' Law (Why the opposite sign?)

In summary, the electric flux through the netting is zero because all electric field lines that enter leave also. However, the electric flux through the netting is positive when the angle between {\vec{E}} and {\vec{A}} is 180 degrees.
PFStudent

Homework Statement

4. In Fig. 23-28, a butterfly net is in a uniform electric field of magnitude [itex]{E = 3.0}[/itex] mN/C. The rim, a circle of radius [itex]a[/itex] = 11 cm, is aligned perpendicular to the field. The net contains no net charge. Find the electric flux through the netting.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4193/hrw72328xx2.gif

[Fig 23-28]

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law

[tex]
{{\Phi}_{E}} = {{\oint}{\vec{E}}{\cdot}{d{\vec{A}}}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought this was a simple problem. I reasoned that the net electric flux ([itex]{{\Phi}_{E}}[/itex]) was zero because all the electric field lines that enter leave also.

However, the book answer was not zero and so proved that answer wrong.

Then I thought to just evaluate the electric flux noting that the the [itex]{\vec{E}}[/itex] and [itex]{\vec{A}}[/itex] point in the same direction so that,

[tex]
{{\Phi}_{E}} = {{\oint}{\vec{E}}{\cdot}{d{\vec{A}}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\Phi}_{E}} = {{\oint}{|\vec{E}|}{|d{\vec{A}}}|}{{cos}{\theta}}
[/tex]

Where,

[tex]
{\theta} = 0{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}degrees
[/tex]

Since, [itex]{\vec{E}}[/itex] and [itex]{\vec{A}}[/itex] point in the same direction.

So,

[tex]
{{\Phi}_{E}} = {|\vec{E}|}{{\oint}{|d{\vec{A}}}|}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\Phi}_{E}} = {|\vec{E}|}{|{\vec{A}}}|}
[/tex]

Where [itex]A > 0[/itex], so letting, [itex]{|{\vec{A}}}|} = A[/itex]. Noting that [itex]A = {{\pi}{{a}^{2}}}[/itex].

[tex]
{{\Phi}_{E}} = {|\vec{E}|}{A}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\Phi}_{E}} = {|\vec{E}|}{{\pi}{{a}^{2}}}
[/tex]

However the book answer is the negative of the above.

So my question is, why the negative answer?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose they want the flux through the other side of the net...

You're right that the net flux through the net (ie adding the flux through both sides) is zero...

But I guess they just want the flux through one side of the net.

learningphysics said:
I suppose they want the flux through the other side of the net...

You're right that the net flux through the net (ie adding the flux through both sides) is zero...

But I guess they just want the flux through one side of the net.

Well, from what the problem says how would you know which side of the net (left or right)?

If you take the [itex]{{\Phi}_{E}}[/itex] of the right side the angle between [itex]{\vec{E}}[/itex] and [itex]{\vec{A}}[/itex] is 180 degrees and so the [itex]{{\Phi}_{E}}[/itex] is negative.

However,

If you take the [itex]{{\Phi}_{E}}[/itex] of the left side the angle between [itex]{\vec{E}}[/itex] and [itex]{\vec{A}}[/itex] is 0 degrees and so the [itex]{{\Phi}_{E}}[/itex] is positive.

So how do you know which one to take?

Thanks for the reply learningphysics.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Yeah, you can't really tell which side they want... I guess the flux through the left is what they want, because that is the direction in which the butterflies go into the net... Not sure.

learningphysics said:
Yeah, you can't really tell which side they want... I guess the flux through the left is what they want, because that is the direction in which the butterflies go into the net... Not sure.

PFStudent said:

Homework Statement

4. In Fig. 23-28, a butterfly net is in a uniform electric field of magnitude [itex]{E = 3.0}[/itex] mN/C. The rim, a circle of radius [itex]a[/itex] = 11 cm, is aligned perpendicular to the field. The net contains no net charge. Find the electric flux through the netting.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4193/hrw72328xx2.gif

[Fig 23-28]

Ah, "through the netting" as in the direction through which butterfiles travel into the net, which is (coming from the right side) the left side.

Ok, now that makes sense, because looking at the left side the [itex]{\vec{A}}[/itex] points to the left and the [itex]{\vec{E}}[/itex] points to the right. So, the angle between the two is 180 degrees and that is where the book answer got the negative sign.

Yea, now it makes sense. But I still think that was a badly worded problem. :-p

Thanks for the help learningphysics.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Gauss' Law (Why the opposite sign?)

1. What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in physics that relates the flux of an electric field through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface.

2. Why is the opposite sign used in Gauss' Law?

The opposite sign in Gauss' Law is used because of the direction of the electric field. The electric field points outward from positive charges and inward towards negative charges. Therefore, the flux through a closed surface will be positive for outward-pointing electric fields and negative for inward-pointing electric fields.

3. How is Gauss' Law related to Coulomb's Law?

Gauss' Law is essentially a mathematical formulation of Coulomb's Law. It provides a way to calculate the electric field created by a charge distribution using the concept of flux and the enclosed charge, rather than directly using the distance and magnitude of the charges like in Coulomb's Law.

4. What are the applications of Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law has many applications in various fields such as electrostatics, electromagnetism, and even astrophysics. It is used to solve problems related to electric fields and charges in a more efficient and elegant way than using Coulomb's Law.

5. Are there any limitations to Gauss' Law?

Yes, there are certain limitations to Gauss' Law. It only applies to static electric fields and does not take into account changing magnetic fields. It also assumes the electric field is continuous and does not consider any boundary effects or sharp edges in the charge distribution.