Gaussian Elimination Help: Solving Equations with Absentee Notes

In summary, to solve the system of equations x+2y+6z=4, -3x+2y-z=-4, and 4x+2z=16, we can use substitution by isolating one variable and substituting it into the other equations to reduce the system to two variables and two equations. This can then be solved using various methods such as substitution or elimination.
Squall

Homework Statement

x+2y+6z=4
-3x+2y-z=-4
4x+2z=16

Homework Equations

I am having trouble solving this equation since i was absent for notes
I would appreciate an attempt to explain the process to me.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the basics but if some one could show me step by step mabey i will get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think i got it now but if you got tips please share

If we're not doing this using Matrix algebra, then we usually want to try and reduce our system to one of fewer variables. This is most easily done by expressing one variable in terms of others and then substituting.

You'll notice that your third line has only two variables in it, making it an excellent candidate for substitution since there is a one-to-one linear dependency between the two variables. We can isolate a single variable (say z) giving

z=8-2x

then substitute this into the first and second equations. After doing this, we will have reduced our system to one of two variable, and two equations. From here we can either repeat the process above to get a solution in terms of a single variable, or other similar method of solving 2x2 systems.

Related to Gaussian Elimination Help: Solving Equations with Absentee Notes

1. What is Gaussina Elimination?

Gaussina Elimination is a method used in linear algebra to solve systems of linear equations. It involves manipulating the equations through a series of steps to eliminate variables and ultimately find the values of the unknown variables.

2. Why is Gaussina Elimination important?

Gaussina Elimination is important because it is a widely used method for solving systems of linear equations in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also forms the basis for more advanced techniques in linear algebra.

3. What are the steps involved in Gaussina Elimination?

The steps involved in Gaussina Elimination are:

1. Write the system of equations in augmented matrix form.
  2. Perform row operations to create an upper triangular matrix.
  3. Use back substitution to solve for the unknown variables.

4. Can Gaussina Elimination be used for any type of system of equations?

Yes, Gaussina Elimination can be used for any system of linear equations, whether it is a 2x2 or a larger matrix. However, it is most efficient for systems with a small number of equations and unknown variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using Gaussina Elimination?

One limitation of Gaussina Elimination is that it cannot be used for systems that have no solution or infinitely many solutions. Additionally, it may also be computationally expensive for larger systems of equations.