Gaussian Integral Coordinate Change

In summary, the conversation discusses the explicit coordinate change from dxdy to dr in the polar-coordinates method for solving the gaussian. The standard textbook result for this change is stated and a link to a helpful resource is provided. The need for specifying integration limits on x and y is also mentioned.
looseleaf
Hi everyone, sorry for the basic question. But I was just wondering how one does the explicit coordinate change from dxdy to dr in the polar-coordinates method for solving the gaussian. I can appreciate that using the polar element and integrating from 0 to inf covers the same area, but how do we do this in a rigorous way? I know it's a basic multivariable calculus question, but I couldn't find what I was looking for by googling.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
looseleaf said:
Hi everyone, sorry for the basic question. But I was just wondering how one does the explicit coordinate change from dxdy to dr in S3:=sum(1/n^3,n=2..infinity);evalf(S3);the polar-coordinates method for solving the gaussian. I can appreciate that using the polar element and integrating from 0 to inf covers the same area, but how do we do this in a rigorous way? I know it's a basic multivariable calculus question, but I couldn't find what I was looking for by googling.

Thanks!
Standard textbook result:
$$ dx \, dy = \frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)} \: du \, dv,$$
Here
$$ \frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)} \equiv \left| \begin{array}{cc} \partial x/ \partial u & \partial x /\partial v\\
\partial y /\partial u & \partial y / \partial v \end{array} \right| $$

Likes looseleaf
Ray Vickson said:
Standard textbook result:
$$ dx \, dy = \frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)} \: du \, dv,$$
Here
$$ \frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)} \equiv \left| \begin{array}{cc} \partial x/ \partial u & \partial x /\partial v\\
\partial y /\partial u & \partial y / \partial v \end{array} \right| $$
Thank you :)

##dxdy=rdrd\theta##. You need to describe the integration limits on ##x,y##.

1. What is a Gaussian Integral Coordinate Change?

A Gaussian Integral Coordinate Change is a mathematical technique used to transform a multidimensional integral into a simpler form by changing the coordinates of the integration.

2. How is a Gaussian Integral Coordinate Change used in science?

Gaussian Integral Coordinate Change is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve complex integrals that arise in the study of multidimensional systems and processes.

3. What are the benefits of using a Gaussian Integral Coordinate Change?

The main benefit of using a Gaussian Integral Coordinate Change is that it simplifies the integration process, making it easier to solve complex integrals and obtain more accurate results.

4. What is the formula for a Gaussian Integral Coordinate Change?

The formula for a Gaussian Integral Coordinate Change is given by x = u + y, where x and y are the original coordinates and u is the new coordinate.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Gaussian Integral Coordinate Change?

While Gaussian Integral Coordinate Change can be a powerful tool in solving integrals, it may not always be applicable or may not yield the most accurate results in certain cases. It is important to carefully consider the problem at hand before using this technique.