The effect of the number of dimensions on the number of polarizations of Phonon modes

• Thread starter Kyuubi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
Kyuubi
Homework Statement
Consider a crystal made up of two-dimensional layers of atoms, with rigid coupling between the layers. You may assume the motion of atoms is restricted to the plane of the layer. Calculate the phonon heat capacity in the Debye approximation, and show that the low temperature limit is proportional to ##T^2##.
Relevant Equations
In 3D,
##\sum_n{(...)} = \frac{3}{8}\int4\pi n^2dn(...)##

In 2D,
##\sum_n{(...)} = \frac{a}{4}\int2\pi ndn(...)##

What is ##a##?
When going from 3 to 2 dimensions, I am unsure about how the number of polarizations will be affected.

I know the following though:
The 1/8 factor becomes a 1/4 since we are now integrating over the positive quadrant in 2d rather than the positive octant in 3d.
The ##4\pi n^2## becomes a ##2\pi n## because we moved from spherical coordinates to just polar coordinates.

I am told that in 3D, an elastic wave has three polarizations: two transverse and one longitudinal. Do they remain unchanged in lower dimensions? My guess is that they should become 2. But if we lose a polarization every time we lower dimensions, then a photon gas in one dimension shouldn't exist, but it does since the book has a question about it :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Kyuubi said:
Homework Statement: Consider a crystal made up of two-dimensional layers of atoms, with rigid coupling between the layers. You may assume the motion of atoms is restricted to the plane of the layer. Calculate the phonon heat capacity in the Debye approximation, and show that the low temperature limit is proportional to ##T^2##.
Relevant Equations: In 3D,
##\sum_n{(...)} = \frac{3}{8}\int4\pi n^2dn(...)##

In 2D,
##\sum_n{(...)} = \frac{a}{4}\int2\pi ndn(...)##

What is ##a##?

When going from 3 to 2 dimensions, I am unsure about how the number of polarizations will be affected.

I know the following though:
The 1/8 factor becomes a 1/4 since we are now integrating over the positive quadrant in 2d rather than the positive octant in 3d.
The ##4\pi n^2## becomes a ##2\pi n## because we moved from spherical coordinates to just polar coordinates.

I am told that in 3D, an elastic wave has three polarizations: two transverse and one longitudinal. Do they remain unchanged in lower dimensions? My guess is that they should become 2. But if we lose a polarization every time we lower dimensions, then a photon gas in one dimension shouldn't exist, but it does since the book has a question about it :)
It's been answered for me. Indeed the number of polarizations goes down. I suppose then that EM modes retain their 2 polarizations regardless of dimension (?)

1. How does the number of dimensions affect the number of polarizations of Phonon modes?

The number of dimensions directly affects the number of polarizations of Phonon modes. In one-dimensional systems, there is only one polarization, while in two-dimensional systems, there are two polarizations. In three-dimensional systems, there are three polarizations.

2. Why does the number of dimensions impact the number of polarizations of Phonon modes?

The number of dimensions impacts the number of polarizations of Phonon modes because the degrees of freedom available for vibration increase with the number of dimensions. In higher dimensions, there are more ways in which atoms can vibrate, leading to a higher number of polarizations.

3. Can the number of polarizations of Phonon modes exceed three in three-dimensional systems?

No, in three-dimensional systems, the number of polarizations of Phonon modes cannot exceed three. This is because there are only three independent ways in which atoms can vibrate in three dimensions: longitudinal, transverse, and out-of-plane vibrations.

4. How do Phonon polarizations in different dimensions affect material properties?

The number of Phonon polarizations in different dimensions can affect material properties such as thermal conductivity, specific heat capacity, and acoustic properties. Understanding the polarizations of Phonon modes is crucial for predicting and manipulating these material properties.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying the effect of the number of dimensions on Phonon polarizations?

Yes, studying the effect of the number of dimensions on Phonon polarizations is important for designing new materials with specific thermal, acoustic, and mechanical properties. This knowledge can also help in developing advanced technologies such as phononic devices and materials with tailored properties for various applications.