Gaussian wavepacket as a solution of the Schrödinger equation

In summary: If not, I suggest that you try that first. In summary, the conversation is about finding a proof that the Gaussian wavepacket is a solution to the Schrödinger equation. The advice given is to differentiate and someone suggests using LaTeX for easier communication and debugging. It is also recommended to try verifying simpler wave functions as solutions before tackling the Gaussian wavepacket.
JorgeM
Homework Statement
Hello everyone.
I need to find out that the gaussian wavepacket is a solution of the Schrödinger equation.
I first tought that It would be so much easier just to calculate the derivatives and to probe that gaussian equation satisfies Schrodinger's equation but it did not result easy at all.
Do you know any book or place where to find this in the simplest way possible (even the demonstration and not just the probe)
I'm relatively new in studying quantum mechanics so many concepts are new to me.
Relevant Equations
Schrodinger's equation
The Schrödinger equation I need to prove is this one
imagen1.jpg

And the Gaussian wavepacket is found here
imagen2.jpg

Thanks for your advice.

JorgeM

<Moderator's note: upload images to PhysicsForums. Do not use external image servers.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
See:
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, D.J Griffiths
Quantum Mechanics, N. Zettili

JorgeM said:
Homework Statement:: Hello everyone.
I need to find out that the gaussian wavepacket is a solution of the Schrödinger equation.
I first tought that It would be so much easier just to calculate the derivatives and to probe that gaussian equation satisfies Schrodinger's equation but it did not result easy at all.
Do you know any book or place where to find this in the simplest way possible (even the demonstration and not just the probe)
I'm relatively new in studying quantum mechanics so many concepts are new to me.
Relevant Equations:: Schrodinger's equation

The Schrödinger equation I need to prove is this one

https://ibb.co/6WMSBH2And the Gaussian wavepacket is found here

https://ibb.co/4RTDRm1Thanks for your advise.

JorgeM

The advice is simple: differentiate!

There is nothing else to do.

PS Welcome to quantum mechanics! :smile:

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
JorgeM said:
If you show us your work, someone here can probably find where you went wrong.

I strongly suggest that you try to use LaTeX rather than try to post images of your handwritten algebra, because the helpers here find it much easier to read and work with. With LaTeX, people can "quote" indvidual equations or sections of equations in order to highlight errors, which is much more difficult when they're part of an image.

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

The Gaussian wave packet is one of the more complicated wave functions that you find in an introductory textbook. Have you successfully verified simpler wave functions as solutions to the Schrödinger equation?

1. What is a Gaussian wavepacket?

A Gaussian wavepacket is a type of wavefunction that describes the behavior of a quantum particle in space and time. It is a solution of the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics.

2. How is a Gaussian wavepacket related to the Schrödinger equation?

A Gaussian wavepacket is a solution of the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. The Gaussian wavepacket represents the probability amplitude of a particle in space and time, as described by the Schrödinger equation.

3. What are the properties of a Gaussian wavepacket?

A Gaussian wavepacket has several important properties. It is localized in space, meaning that it has a finite width and is centered around a specific position. It is also oscillatory in nature, with a characteristic frequency and wavelength. Additionally, it has a well-defined momentum and energy, which are related to the width and frequency of the wavepacket.

4. What is the significance of Gaussian wavepackets in quantum mechanics?

Gaussian wavepackets are important in quantum mechanics because they represent one of the most commonly used solutions to the Schrödinger equation. They are also used to describe the behavior of particles in many physical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solids. Additionally, Gaussian wavepackets have important applications in quantum technologies, including quantum computing and quantum communication.

5. Can Gaussian wavepackets be experimentally observed?

Yes, Gaussian wavepackets can be experimentally observed in certain quantum systems. For example, they can be created and manipulated in the laboratory using techniques such as laser cooling and trapping. Additionally, their properties can be measured using various experimental methods, such as time-of-flight measurements and spectroscopy.