Gay marriage nearly legalised in NZ

• News
  • Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know, I'm just really tired of these people.Then again, there are those who don't necessarily lack that component and actually do care about people that are different, but because they have been brought up a certain way it would seem as though they would have to cut and burn those webs of negativity from their own...I don't know, I'm just really tired of these people.I 100% agree. Most of the people I know, including my parents and my girlfriend's father are against it, even some liberals oppose it here.Good news! NZ is on the right track!
Physics news on Phys.org
Excellent!
I don't know anything about your political system, but it appears from the link that you're making a good transition to reality. Although I'm straight, it churns my bile that gays and transgenders aren't allotted equal rights in some jurisdictions. Anyone who feels threatened by their happiness is too insecure to hold an opinion.

Wonderful! I hope the complete legalization happens soon.

Heard on the radio this morning it passed 77 to 44.

I'm not gay but I agree 100% with what Danger said.

http://inthehouse.co.nz/node/18213

and LOL at the comments made at 1:16 - http://inthehouse.co.nz/node/18214

and the final vote: http://inthehouse.co.nz/node/18232

Last edited by a moderator:
StevieTNZ said:
http://inthehouse.co.nz/node/18213

and LOL at the comments made at 1:16 - http://inthehouse.co.nz/node/18214

and the final vote: http://inthehouse.co.nz/node/18232

The first link mentions other discrimination in other countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
i do not even understand why it's on law books.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Good news! NZ is on the right track!

Maybe one day, we all are.

But that requires a lot of educational work.

I hope Florida goes in that direction. I'm straight but support gay rights.

krash661 said:
i do not even understand why it's on law books.

Would you be able to elaborate on that statement, please?

Julio R said:
I hope Florida goes in that direction. I'm straight but support gay rights.

I'm in Florida too. I heard from my friend that the Florida constitution was actually amended to make gay marriage invalid here. People voted to not allow gays the same rights as everyone else. I bet if there was another vote, the voters would probably be in favor of gay marriage. It's just a matter of time. I don't know why people are clinging to their antiquated beliefs as if the push for gay marriage is going to go away.

And it's dumb how some people will think that you must be gay to be supporting gay marriage. I noticed you added a caveat that you're not gay. That just shows their selfishness. Not only do they not care if other people get rights, but they can't understand why someone who isn't a part of an oppressed group would care about that group.

leroyjenkens said:
I'm in Florida too. I heard from my friend that the Florida constitution was actually amended to make gay marriage invalid here. People voted to not allow gays the same rights as everyone else. I bet if there was another vote, the voters would probably be in favor of gay marriage. It's just a matter of time. I don't know why people are clinging to their antiquated beliefs as if the push for gay marriage is going to go away.

And it's dumb how some people will think that you must be gay to be supporting gay marriage. I noticed you added a caveat that you're not gay. That just shows their selfishness. Not only do they not care if other people get rights, but they can't understand why someone who isn't a part of an oppressed group would care about that group.
Florida is a red state (conservative), and therefore not too open to gay rights.

Evo said:
Florida is a red state (conservative), and therefore not too open to gay rights.

I 100% agree. Most of the people I know, including my parents and my girlfriend's father are against it, even some liberals oppose it here.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Good news! NZ is on the right track!

It's good that New Zealand is being more progressive when it comes to human rights issues.

In terms of those that oppose homosexuals and homosexual marriage, or one or the other. I kind of get it (not in the sense of reasoning that they are opposing it). It's hard to be empathetic if you do not understand what it is like to be brandish constantly by negative connotations and bullied because of your orientation. Most of these individuals have had little to no worry of being ostracized because of who they are, so they don't know nor can they envision what it is like. Of course, there are those of us who can put ourselves outside of who we are and try to connect, empathize with those who are different using the powers of our consciousness. This is a basic human component of life, some have it, others seem to lack it.

Then again, there are those who don't necessarily lack that component and actually do care about people that are different, but because they have been brought up a certain way it would seem as though they would have to cut and burn those webs of negativity from their own lives.

StevieTNZ said:
Gay marriage will be legal in NZ from tomorrow.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10913830

Congrats! Let me assure you the earthquakes have nothing at all to do with this :wink: :-p, although there is a certain "church" here that will tell you otherwise (**cough*westboro baptist*cough*).

We legalized gay marriage in my state (Washington) a few months ago, as it should be, IMO.

Good for NZ, my gay friends will be pleased.

jadair1 said:
I'm not gay
Why do you need to mention that?

I_am_learning said:

I'm not gay either. <shrug>

I am, though, since the issue is, apparently, whether to mention it or not.<shrug>

Make sure there is a distinction between "rights" and preferential treatment.

HowlerMonkey said:
Make sure there is a distinction between "rights" and preferential treatment.
Which has been the case where civil unions between heterosexuals have entitled them to various legal and monetary benefits relative to similar homosexual couples.

For example, the spouse is given "next of kin" status, something that is important, for example. not only in terms of conferred inheritance rights, but also such delicate matters as the right to visit the person at the hospital.

I_am_learning said:

To show that it is not only gay's that can be in support of gay marriage.

Evo said:

Evo, isn't it more accurate to refer to Florida as a "purple" state (i.e. neither truly conservative nor truly liberal), given the increasing proportion of Florida's population who move there from other areas of the US where more liberal views are commonplace?

(Of course, Florida also attracts a substantial number of immigrants, but I suspect that many immigrant communities may not be too open to gay rights either).

Related to Gay marriage nearly legalised in NZ

1. What does it mean for gay marriage to be "nearly legalised" in NZ?

In this context, "nearly legalised" means that the legislation to legalize gay marriage has been passed by the New Zealand Parliament, but it has not yet gone into effect. It is waiting for final approval and implementation by the Governor-General.

2. When will gay marriage officially be legal in NZ?

The legislation to legalize gay marriage in NZ is set to go into effect on August 19, 2013. This is when the Governor-General is expected to give final approval and the law will officially change.

3. Will churches and religious institutions be required to perform gay marriages?

No, the legislation includes a provision that allows churches and religious institutions to refuse to perform gay marriages if it goes against their beliefs. This is known as a "conscience clause".

4. How does the legalization of gay marriage in NZ compare to other countries?

As of 2021, gay marriage is legal in over 30 countries, including Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States. NZ will join this list once the legislation goes into effect.

5. What impact will the legalisation of gay marriage have on the LGBTQ+ community in NZ?

The legalisation of gay marriage in NZ will have a significant impact on the LGBTQ+ community, as it will grant them equal rights and recognition under the law. It will also promote inclusivity and diversity in NZ society.