Gearbox and flywheel question, How to calculate input torque

In summary, to accelerate the solid flywheel with a mass of 50kg and diameter of 1.5m from rest to 300 revs min-1 in 1min, a torque of 39.84Nm is required at the input of the gearbox with an efficiency of 92%.
David144

Homework Statement

A flywheel is attached on the output of the gearbox. The output shaft rotates in the opposite direction to the input shaft at 5 times its speed.
The gearbox has an efficiency of 92%. If the flywheel is solid, has a mass of 50kg, a diameter of 1.5m and is to accelerate from rest to 300 revs min-1 in 1min:

a) Calculate the torque required at input T1.

Homework Equations

T=I*α

I=0.5*m*r2

α=I(ω2-ω1)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

Angular velocity of output shaft 300 revs min = 31.41593 rads/s (10π)
Angular velocity of input shaft 60 revs min = 6.283 rads/s (2π)

moment of inertia of flywheel = 0.5*50*0.75^2
=14.0625 Kg m^2

Change in angular momentum =I(ω2-ω1)
=14.0625(10π-2π)
=112π kg m^2 s

Torque = change of angular momentum / time
T=112π/60
=5.86NmI have seen a similar thread but with a completely different method and answer. Any advice please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you did not take the gear box efficiency into your calculations. Probably more important (but beyond the scope of your problem), you did not take the mass moment of inertia of the gears into account.

David144 said:
Change in angular momentum =I(ω2-ω1)
=14.0625(10π-2π)
=112π kg m^2 s

Torque = change of angular momentum / time
T=112π/60
=5.86Nm

That looks wrong to me.

The change in angular momentum I(ω21) is due to the acceleration, not the gearbox ratio.

The general equation for the torque required to accelerate a flywheel is..

Tf= Iα

where
I is the moment of inertia and
α is the angular acceleration

(Aside: There is a similarity with Newton's law F = ma)

To calculate the torque required at the flywheel..
Tf= Iα
α = (ωf - ωi)/t
so
Tf = I(ωf - ωi)/t

The initial angular momentum ωi is zero (because it starts from rest).

I get a figure for the torque at the flywheel of just over 7Nm. The torque at the input to the gearbox would be 5 times that (if you ignore the losses in the gearbox). So I would expect the input torque to be at least 35Nm.

(Sorry I had to edit a few mistakes in this post)

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I see from using the equation that I get an answer of 7.33 Nm for the torque at the flywheel , however is it as simple as multiplying by 5 as the shaft rotates at 5 times the speed?

If I use the same equations for the input shaft I get a lower figure

T= I(ωf - ωi)/t

as ωi=0

T=I*(ωf)/t

therefore P=I(ωf-ωi)/t

as I=14.062 kgm-2
ωf=2π rads-1
T=14.062*2π/60
T=1.466Nm

Yes multiply by 5 to get the input torque.

The gearbox multiplies the input rpm by 5 to get the output rpm. This increase in speed doesn't come for free. The cost is a five times increase in torque required to turn the input.

Another way of looking at this is to say the gearbox increases the moment of inertia of the flywheel by a factor of five. Eg it's five times harder to turn.

Last edited:
Experiment with a bicycle. If you select a fast gear the wheels turn faster but it's harder to pedal.

Likes Nidum
Many thanks! I think i am there now.

7.33Nm x 5 = 36.65Nm

36.65 /0.92 to compensate for frictional losses = 39.84Nm

1. What is a gearbox and how does it work?

A gearbox is a mechanical device that is used to change the speed and torque of a rotating power source, such as an electric motor or an engine. It works by using a series of gears with different sizes to increase or decrease the rotational speed and torque.

2. What is a flywheel and what is its purpose?

A flywheel is a mechanical device that stores rotational energy. Its purpose is to maintain a constant rotational speed and provide smooth power output for a machine or system.

3. How do you calculate input torque for a gearbox and flywheel system?

To calculate input torque, you need to know the rotational speed, radius, and mass of the flywheel, as well as the gear ratio of the gearbox. The formula is: input torque = (flywheel mass x flywheel radius x flywheel rotational speed^2) / gear ratio.

4. Why is it important to calculate input torque for a gearbox and flywheel?

Calculating input torque is important because it helps determine the amount of force and power needed to rotate the flywheel and operate the gearbox. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing the system for maximum efficiency and performance.

5. How can input torque be increased for a gearbox and flywheel system?

Input torque can be increased by either increasing the gear ratio in the gearbox or increasing the rotational speed of the flywheel. However, it is important to consider the limitations and safety factors when making these adjustments.